Re: [PanoToolsNG] Archaeological Digs are copyright in Europe (was "transsexual caveman")

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2011
      Sometime around 11/4/11 (at 02:16 -0700) Bostjan Burger said:

      >If I am a professional photographer and would travel to Saudi
      >Arabia, Australia or USA I would first check for the rules or would
      >be arrested on the Hoover dam

      But how would I find out this frankly bizarre application of the
      copyright principle? (After all, archeologists just 'find' these
      things, the whole point is that they *don't* make them...)

      I mean, you said that:

      >you won't find nothing directly or specifically about the
      >archeologist work and the copyrights.

      If there's nothing published, I don't see how anyone, least of all a
      court, would expect me to know, if I shoot from a public location,
      that I shouldn't include an archeological dig in my picture.

      Yeah, I know: ignorance is no excuse. Except, I would argue that if
      there really is no way for me to find this out, it damn well IS an
      excuse. I accept that some research is good and wise, but I refuse to
      accept that I need to approach every single kind of visible endeavour
      and ask if I need their permission.