Tale of a Pano

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2011
      Life has been a bit grim here in Japan, so it was a relief and a joy
      to welcome the brief cherry blossom season when it opened the other
      day. Blessed with blue skies (unusual here, where off-white haze is
      the rule for most of the year), I put camera, lenses, ring mount and
      monopod in my rucksack and cycled along the banks of the Nogawa
      river, which runs past our condominium. The blossoms were not quite
      in full bloom, but made a brave show, and I took a couple of
      panoramas, intending to come back later. Unfortunately, the weather
      broke, so these may be the only two this year...

      I was sad to find that I must have moved the monopod while taking
      one of them, because it was a beast to stitch and retouch. I can't
      remember when I spent longer to produce a half-way decent panorama.
      I don't think I could have done it at all without the latest
      "Mask" functions of PTgui. Gotta love that program!

      I also found out that the lens must have slipped inside the ring
      mount, as it left a large hole at the zenith than the nadir, and
      branches and flowers overhead made patching the former much more
      trouble than the latter. Sigh. I usually have it the other way
      around, floors being usually less interesting AND less trouble.

      It's still marred with my inexpexpert PhotoShop technique, but
      captures something of the atmosphere.

      They head the "Rogerama" collection at Photosynth if anyone is
      interested. One of them has my pride-and-joy mountain bike in
      it...

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com