Re: [PanoToolsNG] Digital Film !?!?

  • Bostjan Burger
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
      This is over a decade old idea. I remember the prototype when visiting Photokina
      in 2000. Nothing had happened since then. But I would like to use my oldie
      nikons F3 and F5 with digital films... but only for fun, not serious work.

      Boštjan

      ________________________________
        Le 5 avr. 11 à 12:12, Bostjan Burger a écrit :

        > This is over a decade old idea. I remember the prototype when
        > visiting Photokina
        > in 2000. Nothing had happened since then. But I would like to use my
        > oldie
        > nikons F3 and F5 with digital films... but only for fun, not serious
        > work.
        >
        > Boštjan
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
          Sometime around 5/4/11 (at 00:37 -0400) John Riley said:

          >I am thinking this must be an April Fools Day joke. Otherwise, I
          >hope their technical abilities are better than their grammar:
          >
          >"Set the ISO to 400 and your done" UGGG! You are = you're.

          Ouch.

          But you know what I hate these guys for the most? Reminding me how
          much I love the tactile mechanical feel of my old 35mm SLRs. If this
          was real I would seriously consider spending quite a chunk of money
          on it. Hell, forget 'consider', I definitely would.

          Damn them! I keep looking at the site and wishing...

        • Paul Fretheim
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
            The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
            hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A digital
            back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.

            Paul Fretheim
          • Greg Voisan
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
              I contacted the site and this was their response:

              Rogge & Pott (per Re35) to me
              show details 7:11 AM (43 minutes ago)

              Thankyou for your enquiry about Re35.

              Some good news:
              The feedback to our "product" has truly been overwhelming. It seems Re-35
              really addresses a need and people worldwide can�t seem to wait to get their
              hands on our "product".

              The bad news:
              Some things are to good to be true!
              Re35 does not really exist. We (the design company Rogge & Pott) created
              Re35 as an exercise in identity-design. We invented the "product" because it
              was something, that we had wished for for a long time (as many others).
              We launched the website and sent out "press releases" on April first -
              thinking, that the date would make clear, that Re35 is just wishful thinking
              - a classic April Fools Prank!

              However:
              All this attention Re35 ist getting might actually be good for something. It
              proves, that there is a gigantic community of photographers with analog
              equipment out there that is desperately waiting for a product like this to
              come along.

              We hope there are no hard feelings and that you are not too disappointed.

              Cheers from Germany.
              Henning Rogge

              RE-35
              Digital Cartridges for analog 35 mm Cameras

              Rogge & Pott GbR
              Eppendorfer Weg 95a
              20259 Hamburg
              Telefon: +49 40 48401180
              Telefax: +49 40 48401189
              E-Mail: design(at)roggeundpott(dot)de
              Internet: www.roggeundpott.de
              Vertretungsberechtigte Gesellschafter:
              Henning Rogge-Pott und Tanja Pott
              Ust-Id-Nr: DE201963451
              Our mailing address is:
              Rogge & Pott
              Eppendorfer Weg 95a
              Hamburg, Hamburg 20259
              Our telephone:

              Forward this email to a friend:
              http://us2.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=d598c491fe25506413177562a&id=3873efebf1&e=ffe0c52442
              Update your profile:
              http://roggeundpott.us2.list-manage1.com/profile?u=d598c491fe25506413177562a&id=6cc217025a&e=ffe0c52442

              On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

              > The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
              > hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A digital
              > back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.
              >
              > Paul Fretheim

            • Ron Rack
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                Too bad they don't (as of yet) make a fisheye for the Leica -s
                http://s.leica-camera.com/

                Of course I would have to mortgage the house and the studio for it :-(

                ron rack
                http://360around.com

                On Apr 5, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:

                > The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
                > hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A
                > digital
                > back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.
                >
                > Paul Fretheim

              • Ormar
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                • Roger Howard
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 6, 2011
                    On Apr 4, 2011, at 10:24 PM, Ken Warner wrote:

                    > You know, this may be a joke, but technically, it becomes more and more
                    > possible each day. There exist today flexible electronics in various
                    > forms -- displays mostly -- and with smaller and smaller circuits being
                    > developed -- this could happen. Maybe not exactly like this but
                    > similar to this that actually could convert your old film camera
                    > to a real digital camera

                    This was possible even 10 years ago when the silicon film product was first developed, but it was a bad idea then and a bad idea now. A good digital camera is not just a film camera with a sensor stuck in there - loosely, I might add, which is as I recall one of the major technical difficults the original concept had - too much play possible for the sensor to be reliably positioned. DSLR's are so relatively cheap, and this product such a niche product at best (even if it could be properly developed), that I don't see the point. What's so attractive about using an old 35mm film body for shooting digital - the total lack of integrated controls? A battery system that doesn't have a place to fit? No LCD? No bracketing?

                    If people think the UI on most DSLRs sucks, just wait until they try to use a film SLR with a loosely mated digital sensor.