Re: [PanoToolsNG] Digital Film !?!?

  • Robert Slade
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
      AYRTON wrote:

      > Opppsss
      > Adorama in the USA just post a note about this, and Trausti just sent to me
      >
      > <
      > http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/04/re-35-will-not-turn-your-35mm-film-camera-digital
      >
      > :-(
      > Was too good to be real :-(

      There was a serious attempt at this type of 35mm camera converter a few
      years ago (about 2002 of I recall correctly) from a company called
      "Silicon Film". It was a rigid sensor and memory built into the
      cannister. The sensor was 1Mp and had a crop factor of something like
      3x. Later versions were proposed with 4Mp capture, full-frame.

      The company went bankrupt.

      Regards,
      Rob

      --
      Robert Slade, Photographer
      Manor Photography 07890 564889
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
        This is over a decade old idea. I remember the prototype when visiting Photokina
        in 2000. Nothing had happened since then. But I would like to use my oldie
        nikons F3 and F5 with digital films... but only for fun, not serious work.

        Boštjan

        ________________________________
          Le 5 avr. 11 à 12:12, Bostjan Burger a écrit :

          > This is over a decade old idea. I remember the prototype when
          > visiting Photokina
          > in 2000. Nothing had happened since then. But I would like to use my
          > oldie
          > nikons F3 and F5 with digital films... but only for fun, not serious
          > work.
          >
          > Boštjan
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
            Sometime around 5/4/11 (at 00:37 -0400) John Riley said:

            >I am thinking this must be an April Fools Day joke. Otherwise, I
            >hope their technical abilities are better than their grammar:
            >
            >"Set the ISO to 400 and your done" UGGG! You are = you're.

            Ouch.

            But you know what I hate these guys for the most? Reminding me how
            much I love the tactile mechanical feel of my old 35mm SLRs. If this
            was real I would seriously consider spending quite a chunk of money
            on it. Hell, forget 'consider', I definitely would.

            Damn them! I keep looking at the site and wishing...

          • Paul Fretheim
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
              The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
              hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A digital
              back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.

              Paul Fretheim
            • Greg Voisan
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                I contacted the site and this was their response:

                Rogge & Pott (per Re35) to me
                show details 7:11 AM (43 minutes ago)

                Thankyou for your enquiry about Re35.

                Some good news:
                The feedback to our "product" has truly been overwhelming. It seems Re-35
                really addresses a need and people worldwide can�t seem to wait to get their
                hands on our "product".

                The bad news:
                Some things are to good to be true!
                Re35 does not really exist. We (the design company Rogge & Pott) created
                Re35 as an exercise in identity-design. We invented the "product" because it
                was something, that we had wished for for a long time (as many others).
                We launched the website and sent out "press releases" on April first -
                thinking, that the date would make clear, that Re35 is just wishful thinking
                - a classic April Fools Prank!

                However:
                All this attention Re35 ist getting might actually be good for something. It
                proves, that there is a gigantic community of photographers with analog
                equipment out there that is desperately waiting for a product like this to
                come along.

                We hope there are no hard feelings and that you are not too disappointed.

                Cheers from Germany.
                Henning Rogge

                RE-35
                Digital Cartridges for analog 35 mm Cameras

                Rogge & Pott GbR
                Eppendorfer Weg 95a
                20259 Hamburg
                Telefon: +49 40 48401180
                Telefax: +49 40 48401189
                E-Mail: design(at)roggeundpott(dot)de
                Internet: www.roggeundpott.de
                Vertretungsberechtigte Gesellschafter:
                Henning Rogge-Pott und Tanja Pott
                Ust-Id-Nr: DE201963451
                Our mailing address is:
                Rogge & Pott
                Eppendorfer Weg 95a
                Hamburg, Hamburg 20259
                Our telephone:

                Forward this email to a friend:
                http://us2.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=d598c491fe25506413177562a&id=3873efebf1&e=ffe0c52442
                Update your profile:
                http://roggeundpott.us2.list-manage1.com/profile?u=d598c491fe25506413177562a&id=6cc217025a&e=ffe0c52442

                On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                > The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
                > hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A digital
                > back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.
                >
                > Paul Fretheim

              • Ron Rack
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                  Too bad they don't (as of yet) make a fisheye for the Leica -s
                  http://s.leica-camera.com/

                  Of course I would have to mortgage the house and the studio for it :-(

                  ron rack
                  http://360around.com

                  On Apr 5, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:

                  > The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
                  > hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A
                  > digital
                  > back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.
                  >
                  > Paul Fretheim

                • Ormar
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                  • Roger Howard
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 6, 2011
                      On Apr 4, 2011, at 10:24 PM, Ken Warner wrote:

                      > You know, this may be a joke, but technically, it becomes more and more
                      > possible each day. There exist today flexible electronics in various
                      > forms -- displays mostly -- and with smaller and smaller circuits being
                      > developed -- this could happen. Maybe not exactly like this but
                      > similar to this that actually could convert your old film camera
                      > to a real digital camera

                      This was possible even 10 years ago when the silicon film product was first developed, but it was a bad idea then and a bad idea now. A good digital camera is not just a film camera with a sensor stuck in there - loosely, I might add, which is as I recall one of the major technical difficults the original concept had - too much play possible for the sensor to be reliably positioned. DSLR's are so relatively cheap, and this product such a niche product at best (even if it could be properly developed), that I don't see the point. What's so attractive about using an old 35mm film body for shooting digital - the total lack of integrated controls? A battery system that doesn't have a place to fit? No LCD? No bracketing?

                      If people think the UI on most DSLRs sucks, just wait until they try to use a film SLR with a loosely mated digital sensor.