Large PSB Conversion to Cube Faces for KR Pano

  • HenryStuart
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2011
      I have seen this topic has come up a few times in the past but I have not
      been able to find an answer that solves it... Basically can you do to
      convert a 17GB or bigger Equirectangular PSB to cube faces for a program
      like KRPanos 'make multi resolution' to use to create a final pano.

      Basically when I try to convert this PSB to tiff cube faces (Using KRPano's
      tools) they are too big - they hit the 4GB mark and are unreadable. If I try
      to convert to JPEG cube faces it just crashes on the second tile.

      Cubic Converter does not seem to accept PSBs, so that is out the window...

      I am using a 27" iMac with quad cores, 16GB Ram and an external raid system.
      So power should not be the problem - more the software.

      Any ideas?!

      Here's the thread on KR Pano's forum:
      http://krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=4786

      Many thanks,

      Henry Stuart
      http://www.sphericalimages.com

    • Christian Bloch
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2011
        I'd say your best bet is to break out the Equirect directly from Photoshop, with the Export-->Zoomify plugin. krpano will accept the Zoomify tiles, you'll just have to set it to cylindrical or partial sphere with the right FOV yourself.

        .Blochi

        On Apr 5, 2011, at 12:45 AM, HenryStuart wrote:

        > I have seen this topic has come up a few times in the past but I have not
        > been able to find an answer that solves it... Basically can you do to
        > convert a 17GB or bigger Equirectangular PSB to cube faces for a program
        > like KRPanos 'make multi resolution' to use to create a final pano.
        >
        > Basically when I try to convert this PSB to tiff cube faces (Using KRPano's
        > tools) they are too big - they hit the 4GB mark and are unreadable. If I try
        > to convert to JPEG cube faces it just crashes on the second tile.
        >
        > Cubic Converter does not seem to accept PSBs, so that is out the window...
        >
        > I am using a 27" iMac with quad cores, 16GB Ram and an external raid system.
        > So power should not be the problem - more the software.
        >
        > Any ideas?!
        >
        > Here's the thread on KR Pano's forum:
        > http://krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=4786
        >
        > Many thanks,
        >
        > Henry Stuart
        > http://www.sphericalimages.com

      • Henry Stuart
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2011
          Thank you Christian, however that will not show the image as a 360x180 will it?

          I really don't want it to have the distortion of a flat panorama...

          > I'd say your best bet is to break out the Equirect directly from Photoshop, with the Export-->Zoomify plugin. krpano will accept the Zoomify tiles, you'll just have to set it to cylindrical or partial sphere with the right FOV yourself.
          >
          > .Blochi
          >
          > On Apr 5, 2011, at 12:45 AM, HenryStuart wrote:
          >
          > > I have seen this topic has come up a few times in the past but I have not
          > > been able to find an answer that solves it... Basically can you do to
          > > convert a 17GB or bigger Equirectangular PSB to cube faces for a program
          > > like KRPanos 'make multi resolution' to use to create a final pano.
          > >
          > > Basically when I try to convert this PSB to tiff cube faces (Using KRPano's
          > > tools) they are too big - they hit the 4GB mark and are unreadable. If I try
          > > to convert to JPEG cube faces it just crashes on the second tile.
          > >
          > > Cubic Converter does not seem to accept PSBs, so that is out the window...
          > >
          > > I am using a 27" iMac with quad cores, 16GB Ram and an external raid system.
          > > So power should not be the problem - more the software.
          > >
          > > Any ideas?!
          > >
          > > Here's the thread on KR Pano's forum:
          > > http://krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=4786
          > >
          > > Many thanks,
          > >
          > > Henry Stuart
          > > http://www.sphericalimages.com
          > >
          > > --

        • Christian Bloch
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5, 2011
            Well, yes, it's up to your krpano file how that is shown. If you set it to spherical, it will be shown as spherical. Krpano doesn't require multires to be in cubic. Did all these like this: http://www.hdrlabs.com/gallery/gigapanos.html

            .Blochi

            On Apr 5, 2011, at 9:29 AM, Henry Stuart wrote:

            > Thank you Christian, however that will not show the image as a 360x180 will it?
            >
            > I really don't want it to have the distortion of a flat panorama...
            >
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Christian Bloch <Blochi@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'd say your best bet is to break out the Equirect directly from Photoshop, with the Export-->Zoomify plugin. krpano will accept the Zoomify tiles, you'll just have to set it to cylindrical or partial sphere with the right FOV yourself.
            > >
            > > .Blochi
            > >
            > > On Apr 5, 2011, at 12:45 AM, HenryStuart wrote:
            > >
            > > > I have seen this topic has come up a few times in the past but I have not
            > > > been able to find an answer that solves it... Basically can you do to
            > > > convert a 17GB or bigger Equirectangular PSB to cube faces for a program
            > > > like KRPanos 'make multi resolution' to use to create a final pano.
            > > >
            > > > Basically when I try to convert this PSB to tiff cube faces (Using KRPano's
            > > > tools) they are too big - they hit the 4GB mark and are unreadable. If I try
            > > > to convert to JPEG cube faces it just crashes on the second tile.
            > > >
            > > > Cubic Converter does not seem to accept PSBs, so that is out the window...
            > > >
            > > > I am using a 27" iMac with quad cores, 16GB Ram and an external raid system.
            > > > So power should not be the problem - more the software.
            > > >
            > > > Any ideas?!
            > > >
            > > > Here's the thread on KR Pano's forum:
            > > > http://krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=4786
            > > >
            > > > Many thanks,
            > > >
            > > > Henry Stuart
            > > > http://www.sphericalimages.com
            > > >
            > > > --

          • HenryStuart
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 5, 2011
              Christian thank you very much, it works well, a good solution.

              All the best,

              Henry

            • Christian Bloch
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 5, 2011
                Cool. By the way, instead of trial-an-error with the FOV values made it a habit to look them up in PTGui, just before rendering the pano, and write them on a notepad. These are good starting points.