Re: [PanoToolsNG] Digital Film !?!?

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
      You know, this may be a joke, but technically, it becomes more and more
      possible each day. There exist today flexible electronics in various
      forms -- displays mostly -- and with smaller and smaller circuits being
      developed -- this could happen. Maybe not exactly like this but
      similar to this that actually could convert your old film camera
      to a real digital camera.

      I myself would like that. No batteries except in the cartridge. No
      "art filters" or video and all the other crap DSLR's foist on you.

      Could happen....

      Kathy Wheeler wrote:
      > On 04/05/2011, at 1:37 PM, AYRTON wrote:
      >
      >> What may this mean to some of us ???
      >> :-)
      >>
      >> <http://www.re35.net/>
      >
      > "The RE-35 cartridge replaces the film in your classic analog 35-mm camera." gosh ... when did I see this first? 10 years ago? More?? Last time it was little more than vapor-ware, which was a pity, and never really took off. With less and less of the old analog cameras being sold I don't have high hopes for it's success this time round either. Time will tell.
      >
      > KathyW.

    • Robert Slade
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
        AYRTON wrote:

        > Opppsss
        > Adorama in the USA just post a note about this, and Trausti just sent to me
        >
        > <
        > http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/04/re-35-will-not-turn-your-35mm-film-camera-digital
        >
        > :-(
        > Was too good to be real :-(

        There was a serious attempt at this type of 35mm camera converter a few
        years ago (about 2002 of I recall correctly) from a company called
        "Silicon Film". It was a rigid sensor and memory built into the
        cannister. The sensor was 1Mp and had a crop factor of something like
        3x. Later versions were proposed with 4Mp capture, full-frame.

        The company went bankrupt.

        Regards,
        Rob

        --
        Robert Slade, Photographer
        Manor Photography 07890 564889
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
          This is over a decade old idea. I remember the prototype when visiting Photokina
          in 2000. Nothing had happened since then. But I would like to use my oldie
          nikons F3 and F5 with digital films... but only for fun, not serious work.

          Boštjan

          ________________________________
            Le 5 avr. 11 à 12:12, Bostjan Burger a écrit :

            > This is over a decade old idea. I remember the prototype when
            > visiting Photokina
            > in 2000. Nothing had happened since then. But I would like to use my
            > oldie
            > nikons F3 and F5 with digital films... but only for fun, not serious
            > work.
            >
            > Boštjan
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Keith Martin
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
              Sometime around 5/4/11 (at 00:37 -0400) John Riley said:

              >I am thinking this must be an April Fools Day joke. Otherwise, I
              >hope their technical abilities are better than their grammar:
              >
              >"Set the ISO to 400 and your done" UGGG! You are = you're.

              Ouch.

              But you know what I hate these guys for the most? Reminding me how
              much I love the tactile mechanical feel of my old 35mm SLRs. If this
              was real I would seriously consider spending quite a chunk of money
              on it. Hell, forget 'consider', I definitely would.

              Damn them! I keep looking at the site and wishing...

            • Paul Fretheim
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
                hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A digital
                back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.

                Paul Fretheim
              • Greg Voisan
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                  I contacted the site and this was their response:

                  Rogge & Pott (per Re35) to me
                  show details 7:11 AM (43 minutes ago)

                  Thankyou for your enquiry about Re35.

                  Some good news:
                  The feedback to our "product" has truly been overwhelming. It seems Re-35
                  really addresses a need and people worldwide can�t seem to wait to get their
                  hands on our "product".

                  The bad news:
                  Some things are to good to be true!
                  Re35 does not really exist. We (the design company Rogge & Pott) created
                  Re35 as an exercise in identity-design. We invented the "product" because it
                  was something, that we had wished for for a long time (as many others).
                  We launched the website and sent out "press releases" on April first -
                  thinking, that the date would make clear, that Re35 is just wishful thinking
                  - a classic April Fools Prank!

                  However:
                  All this attention Re35 ist getting might actually be good for something. It
                  proves, that there is a gigantic community of photographers with analog
                  equipment out there that is desperately waiting for a product like this to
                  come along.

                  We hope there are no hard feelings and that you are not too disappointed.

                  Cheers from Germany.
                  Henning Rogge

                  RE-35
                  Digital Cartridges for analog 35 mm Cameras

                  Rogge & Pott GbR
                  Eppendorfer Weg 95a
                  20259 Hamburg
                  Telefon: +49 40 48401180
                  Telefax: +49 40 48401189
                  E-Mail: design(at)roggeundpott(dot)de
                  Internet: www.roggeundpott.de
                  Vertretungsberechtigte Gesellschafter:
                  Henning Rogge-Pott und Tanja Pott
                  Ust-Id-Nr: DE201963451
                  Our mailing address is:
                  Rogge & Pott
                  Eppendorfer Weg 95a
                  Hamburg, Hamburg 20259
                  Our telephone:

                  Forward this email to a friend:
                  http://us2.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=d598c491fe25506413177562a&id=3873efebf1&e=ffe0c52442
                  Update your profile:
                  http://roggeundpott.us2.list-manage1.com/profile?u=d598c491fe25506413177562a&id=6cc217025a&e=ffe0c52442

                  On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                  > The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
                  > hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A digital
                  > back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.
                  >
                  > Paul Fretheim

                • Ron Rack
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                    Too bad they don't (as of yet) make a fisheye for the Leica -s
                    http://s.leica-camera.com/

                    Of course I would have to mortgage the house and the studio for it :-(

                    ron rack
                    http://360around.com

                    On Apr 5, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:

                    > The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
                    > hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A
                    > digital
                    > back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.
                    >
                    > Paul Fretheim

                  • Ormar
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                    • Roger Howard
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 6, 2011
                        On Apr 4, 2011, at 10:24 PM, Ken Warner wrote:

                        > You know, this may be a joke, but technically, it becomes more and more
                        > possible each day. There exist today flexible electronics in various
                        > forms -- displays mostly -- and with smaller and smaller circuits being
                        > developed -- this could happen. Maybe not exactly like this but
                        > similar to this that actually could convert your old film camera
                        > to a real digital camera

                        This was possible even 10 years ago when the silicon film product was first developed, but it was a bad idea then and a bad idea now. A good digital camera is not just a film camera with a sensor stuck in there - loosely, I might add, which is as I recall one of the major technical difficults the original concept had - too much play possible for the sensor to be reliably positioned. DSLR's are so relatively cheap, and this product such a niche product at best (even if it could be properly developed), that I don't see the point. What's so attractive about using an old 35mm film body for shooting digital - the total lack of integrated controls? A battery system that doesn't have a place to fit? No LCD? No bracketing?

                        If people think the UI on most DSLRs sucks, just wait until they try to use a film SLR with a loosely mated digital sensor.