Re: [PanoToolsNG] Digital Film !?!?

  • Kathy Wheeler
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
      On 04/05/2011, at 1:37 PM, AYRTON wrote:

      > What may this mean to some of us ???
      > :-)
      >
      > <http://www.re35.net/>

      "The RE-35 cartridge replaces the film in your classic analog 35-mm camera." gosh ... when did I see this first? 10 years ago? More?? Last time it was little more than vapor-ware, which was a pity, and never really took off. With less and less of the old analog cameras being sold I don't have high hopes for it's success this time round either. Time will tell.

      KathyW.
    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
        You know, this may be a joke, but technically, it becomes more and more
        possible each day. There exist today flexible electronics in various
        forms -- displays mostly -- and with smaller and smaller circuits being
        developed -- this could happen. Maybe not exactly like this but
        similar to this that actually could convert your old film camera
        to a real digital camera.

        I myself would like that. No batteries except in the cartridge. No
        "art filters" or video and all the other crap DSLR's foist on you.

        Could happen....

        Kathy Wheeler wrote:
        > On 04/05/2011, at 1:37 PM, AYRTON wrote:
        >
        >> What may this mean to some of us ???
        >> :-)
        >>
        >> <http://www.re35.net/>
        >
        > "The RE-35 cartridge replaces the film in your classic analog 35-mm camera." gosh ... when did I see this first? 10 years ago? More?? Last time it was little more than vapor-ware, which was a pity, and never really took off. With less and less of the old analog cameras being sold I don't have high hopes for it's success this time round either. Time will tell.
        >
        > KathyW.

      • Robert Slade
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
          AYRTON wrote:

          > Opppsss
          > Adorama in the USA just post a note about this, and Trausti just sent to me
          >
          > <
          > http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/04/re-35-will-not-turn-your-35mm-film-camera-digital
          >
          > :-(
          > Was too good to be real :-(

          There was a serious attempt at this type of 35mm camera converter a few
          years ago (about 2002 of I recall correctly) from a company called
          "Silicon Film". It was a rigid sensor and memory built into the
          cannister. The sensor was 1Mp and had a crop factor of something like
          3x. Later versions were proposed with 4Mp capture, full-frame.

          The company went bankrupt.

          Regards,
          Rob

          --
          Robert Slade, Photographer
          Manor Photography 07890 564889
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
            This is over a decade old idea. I remember the prototype when visiting Photokina
            in 2000. Nothing had happened since then. But I would like to use my oldie
            nikons F3 and F5 with digital films... but only for fun, not serious work.

            Boštjan

            ________________________________
              Le 5 avr. 11 à 12:12, Bostjan Burger a écrit :

              > This is over a decade old idea. I remember the prototype when
              > visiting Photokina
              > in 2000. Nothing had happened since then. But I would like to use my
              > oldie
              > nikons F3 and F5 with digital films... but only for fun, not serious
              > work.
              >
              > Boštjan
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Keith Martin
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                Sometime around 5/4/11 (at 00:37 -0400) John Riley said:

                >I am thinking this must be an April Fools Day joke. Otherwise, I
                >hope their technical abilities are better than their grammar:
                >
                >"Set the ISO to 400 and your done" UGGG! You are = you're.

                Ouch.

                But you know what I hate these guys for the most? Reminding me how
                much I love the tactile mechanical feel of my old 35mm SLRs. If this
                was real I would seriously consider spending quite a chunk of money
                on it. Hell, forget 'consider', I definitely would.

                Damn them! I keep looking at the site and wishing...

              • Paul Fretheim
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                  The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
                  hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A digital
                  back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.

                  Paul Fretheim
                • Greg Voisan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                    I contacted the site and this was their response:

                    Rogge & Pott (per Re35) to me
                    show details 7:11 AM (43 minutes ago)

                    Thankyou for your enquiry about Re35.

                    Some good news:
                    The feedback to our "product" has truly been overwhelming. It seems Re-35
                    really addresses a need and people worldwide can�t seem to wait to get their
                    hands on our "product".

                    The bad news:
                    Some things are to good to be true!
                    Re35 does not really exist. We (the design company Rogge & Pott) created
                    Re35 as an exercise in identity-design. We invented the "product" because it
                    was something, that we had wished for for a long time (as many others).
                    We launched the website and sent out "press releases" on April first -
                    thinking, that the date would make clear, that Re35 is just wishful thinking
                    - a classic April Fools Prank!

                    However:
                    All this attention Re35 ist getting might actually be good for something. It
                    proves, that there is a gigantic community of photographers with analog
                    equipment out there that is desperately waiting for a product like this to
                    come along.

                    We hope there are no hard feelings and that you are not too disappointed.

                    Cheers from Germany.
                    Henning Rogge

                    RE-35
                    Digital Cartridges for analog 35 mm Cameras

                    Rogge & Pott GbR
                    Eppendorfer Weg 95a
                    20259 Hamburg
                    Telefon: +49 40 48401180
                    Telefax: +49 40 48401189
                    E-Mail: design(at)roggeundpott(dot)de
                    Internet: www.roggeundpott.de
                    Vertretungsberechtigte Gesellschafter:
                    Henning Rogge-Pott und Tanja Pott
                    Ust-Id-Nr: DE201963451
                    Our mailing address is:
                    Rogge & Pott
                    Eppendorfer Weg 95a
                    Hamburg, Hamburg 20259
                    Our telephone:

                    Forward this email to a friend:
                    http://us2.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=d598c491fe25506413177562a&id=3873efebf1&e=ffe0c52442
                    Update your profile:
                    http://roggeundpott.us2.list-manage1.com/profile?u=d598c491fe25506413177562a&id=6cc217025a&e=ffe0c52442

                    On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                    > The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
                    > hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A digital
                    > back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.
                    >
                    > Paul Fretheim

                  • Ron Rack
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                      Too bad they don't (as of yet) make a fisheye for the Leica -s
                      http://s.leica-camera.com/

                      Of course I would have to mortgage the house and the studio for it :-(

                      ron rack
                      http://360around.com

                      On Apr 5, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:

                      > The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
                      > hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A
                      > digital
                      > back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.
                      >
                      > Paul Fretheim

                    • Ormar
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                      • Roger Howard
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 6, 2011
                          On Apr 4, 2011, at 10:24 PM, Ken Warner wrote:

                          > You know, this may be a joke, but technically, it becomes more and more
                          > possible each day. There exist today flexible electronics in various
                          > forms -- displays mostly -- and with smaller and smaller circuits being
                          > developed -- this could happen. Maybe not exactly like this but
                          > similar to this that actually could convert your old film camera
                          > to a real digital camera

                          This was possible even 10 years ago when the silicon film product was first developed, but it was a bad idea then and a bad idea now. A good digital camera is not just a film camera with a sensor stuck in there - loosely, I might add, which is as I recall one of the major technical difficults the original concept had - too much play possible for the sensor to be reliably positioned. DSLR's are so relatively cheap, and this product such a niche product at best (even if it could be properly developed), that I don't see the point. What's so attractive about using an old 35mm film body for shooting digital - the total lack of integrated controls? A battery system that doesn't have a place to fit? No LCD? No bracketing?

                          If people think the UI on most DSLRs sucks, just wait until they try to use a film SLR with a loosely mated digital sensor.