Re: [PanoToolsNG] Digital Film !?!?

  • John Riley
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
      I am thinking this must be an April Fools Day joke. Otherwise, I hope their technical abilities are better than their grammar:

      "Set the ISO to 400 and your done" UGGG! You are = you're.

      John

      On Apr 4, 2011, at 11:37 PM, AYRTON wrote:

      > What may this mean to some of us ???
      > :-)
      >
      > <http://www.re35.net/>
      >
      > best

      John Riley
      4Pi-VR Media Solutions
      http://4pi-vr.com
      johnriley@...
      (h)864-461-3504
      (c)864-431-7075
      (w)864-503-5775

    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
        Opppsss
        Adorama in the USA just post a note about this, and Trausti just sent to me

        <
        http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/04/re-35-will-not-turn-your-35mm-film-camera-digital

        :-(
        Was too good to be real :-(

        best

        On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 1:37 AM, John Riley <johnriley@...> wrote:

        > I am thinking this must be an April Fools Day joke. Otherwise, I hope
        > their technical abilities are better than their grammar:
        >
        > "Set the ISO to 400 and your done" UGGG! You are = you're.
        >
        > John
        >
        > On Apr 4, 2011, at 11:37 PM, AYRTON wrote:
        >
        > > What may this mean to some of us ???
        > > :-)
        > >
        > > <http://www.re35.net/>
        > >
        > > best
        >
        > John Riley
        > 4Pi-VR Media Solutions
        > http://4pi-vr.com
        > johnriley@...
        > (h)864-461-3504
        > (c)864-431-7075
        > (w)864-503-5775

        + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
        + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
        http://ayrton360.com
        twitter.com/ayrton360

      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
          I'm so daze and confused (Led Zeppelin) that I wrote Adorama
          :-(

          Was Popular Photography
          :-)

          best

          --

          + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
          + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP

        • Kathy Wheeler
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
            On 04/05/2011, at 1:37 PM, AYRTON wrote:

            > What may this mean to some of us ???
            > :-)
            >
            > <http://www.re35.net/>

            "The RE-35 cartridge replaces the film in your classic analog 35-mm camera." gosh ... when did I see this first? 10 years ago? More?? Last time it was little more than vapor-ware, which was a pity, and never really took off. With less and less of the old analog cameras being sold I don't have high hopes for it's success this time round either. Time will tell.

            KathyW.
          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
              You know, this may be a joke, but technically, it becomes more and more
              possible each day. There exist today flexible electronics in various
              forms -- displays mostly -- and with smaller and smaller circuits being
              developed -- this could happen. Maybe not exactly like this but
              similar to this that actually could convert your old film camera
              to a real digital camera.

              I myself would like that. No batteries except in the cartridge. No
              "art filters" or video and all the other crap DSLR's foist on you.

              Could happen....

              Kathy Wheeler wrote:
              > On 04/05/2011, at 1:37 PM, AYRTON wrote:
              >
              >> What may this mean to some of us ???
              >> :-)
              >>
              >> <http://www.re35.net/>
              >
              > "The RE-35 cartridge replaces the film in your classic analog 35-mm camera." gosh ... when did I see this first? 10 years ago? More?? Last time it was little more than vapor-ware, which was a pity, and never really took off. With less and less of the old analog cameras being sold I don't have high hopes for it's success this time round either. Time will tell.
              >
              > KathyW.

            • Robert Slade
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                AYRTON wrote:

                > Opppsss
                > Adorama in the USA just post a note about this, and Trausti just sent to me
                >
                > <
                > http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/04/re-35-will-not-turn-your-35mm-film-camera-digital
                >
                > :-(
                > Was too good to be real :-(

                There was a serious attempt at this type of 35mm camera converter a few
                years ago (about 2002 of I recall correctly) from a company called
                "Silicon Film". It was a rigid sensor and memory built into the
                cannister. The sensor was 1Mp and had a crop factor of something like
                3x. Later versions were proposed with 4Mp capture, full-frame.

                The company went bankrupt.

                Regards,
                Rob

                --
                Robert Slade, Photographer
                Manor Photography 07890 564889
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                  This is over a decade old idea. I remember the prototype when visiting Photokina
                  in 2000. Nothing had happened since then. But I would like to use my oldie
                  nikons F3 and F5 with digital films... but only for fun, not serious work.

                  Boštjan

                  ________________________________
                    Le 5 avr. 11 à 12:12, Bostjan Burger a écrit :

                    > This is over a decade old idea. I remember the prototype when
                    > visiting Photokina
                    > in 2000. Nothing had happened since then. But I would like to use my
                    > oldie
                    > nikons F3 and F5 with digital films... but only for fun, not serious
                    > work.
                    >
                    > Boštjan
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Keith Martin
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                      Sometime around 5/4/11 (at 00:37 -0400) John Riley said:

                      >I am thinking this must be an April Fools Day joke. Otherwise, I
                      >hope their technical abilities are better than their grammar:
                      >
                      >"Set the ISO to 400 and your done" UGGG! You are = you're.

                      Ouch.

                      But you know what I hate these guys for the most? Reminding me how
                      much I love the tactile mechanical feel of my old 35mm SLRs. If this
                      was real I would seriously consider spending quite a chunk of money
                      on it. Hell, forget 'consider', I definitely would.

                      Damn them! I keep looking at the site and wishing...

                    • Paul Fretheim
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                        The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
                        hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A digital
                        back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.

                        Paul Fretheim
                      • Greg Voisan
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                          I contacted the site and this was their response:

                          Rogge & Pott (per Re35) to me
                          show details 7:11 AM (43 minutes ago)

                          Thankyou for your enquiry about Re35.

                          Some good news:
                          The feedback to our "product" has truly been overwhelming. It seems Re-35
                          really addresses a need and people worldwide can�t seem to wait to get their
                          hands on our "product".

                          The bad news:
                          Some things are to good to be true!
                          Re35 does not really exist. We (the design company Rogge & Pott) created
                          Re35 as an exercise in identity-design. We invented the "product" because it
                          was something, that we had wished for for a long time (as many others).
                          We launched the website and sent out "press releases" on April first -
                          thinking, that the date would make clear, that Re35 is just wishful thinking
                          - a classic April Fools Prank!

                          However:
                          All this attention Re35 ist getting might actually be good for something. It
                          proves, that there is a gigantic community of photographers with analog
                          equipment out there that is desperately waiting for a product like this to
                          come along.

                          We hope there are no hard feelings and that you are not too disappointed.

                          Cheers from Germany.
                          Henning Rogge

                          RE-35
                          Digital Cartridges for analog 35 mm Cameras

                          Rogge & Pott GbR
                          Eppendorfer Weg 95a
                          20259 Hamburg
                          Telefon: +49 40 48401180
                          Telefax: +49 40 48401189
                          E-Mail: design(at)roggeundpott(dot)de
                          Internet: www.roggeundpott.de
                          Vertretungsberechtigte Gesellschafter:
                          Henning Rogge-Pott und Tanja Pott
                          Ust-Id-Nr: DE201963451
                          Our mailing address is:
                          Rogge & Pott
                          Eppendorfer Weg 95a
                          Hamburg, Hamburg 20259
                          Our telephone:

                          Forward this email to a friend:
                          http://us2.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=d598c491fe25506413177562a&id=3873efebf1&e=ffe0c52442
                          Update your profile:
                          http://roggeundpott.us2.list-manage1.com/profile?u=d598c491fe25506413177562a&id=6cc217025a&e=ffe0c52442

                          On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                          > The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
                          > hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A digital
                          > back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.
                          >
                          > Paul Fretheim

                        • Ron Rack
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                            Too bad they don't (as of yet) make a fisheye for the Leica -s
                            http://s.leica-camera.com/

                            Of course I would have to mortgage the house and the studio for it :-(

                            ron rack
                            http://360around.com

                            On Apr 5, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:

                            > The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
                            > hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A
                            > digital
                            > back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.
                            >
                            > Paul Fretheim

                          • Ormar
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                            • Roger Howard
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 6, 2011
                                On Apr 4, 2011, at 10:24 PM, Ken Warner wrote:

                                > You know, this may be a joke, but technically, it becomes more and more
                                > possible each day. There exist today flexible electronics in various
                                > forms -- displays mostly -- and with smaller and smaller circuits being
                                > developed -- this could happen. Maybe not exactly like this but
                                > similar to this that actually could convert your old film camera
                                > to a real digital camera

                                This was possible even 10 years ago when the silicon film product was first developed, but it was a bad idea then and a bad idea now. A good digital camera is not just a film camera with a sensor stuck in there - loosely, I might add, which is as I recall one of the major technical difficults the original concept had - too much play possible for the sensor to be reliably positioned. DSLR's are so relatively cheap, and this product such a niche product at best (even if it could be properly developed), that I don't see the point. What's so attractive about using an old 35mm film body for shooting digital - the total lack of integrated controls? A battery system that doesn't have a place to fit? No LCD? No bracketing?

                                If people think the UI on most DSLRs sucks, just wait until they try to use a film SLR with a loosely mated digital sensor.