Re: [PanoToolsNG] Digital Film !?!?

  • Greg Voisan
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
      Wow. Bring out all that classic equipment!

      On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 8:37 PM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:

      > What may this mean to some of us ???
      > :-)
      >
      > <http://www.re35.net/>
      >
      > best

      > + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
      > + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
      > http://ayrton360.com
      > twitter.com/ayrton360

    • John Riley
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
        I am thinking this must be an April Fools Day joke. Otherwise, I hope their technical abilities are better than their grammar:

        "Set the ISO to 400 and your done" UGGG! You are = you're.

        John

        On Apr 4, 2011, at 11:37 PM, AYRTON wrote:

        > What may this mean to some of us ???
        > :-)
        >
        > <http://www.re35.net/>
        >
        > best

        John Riley
        4Pi-VR Media Solutions
        http://4pi-vr.com
        johnriley@...
        (h)864-461-3504
        (c)864-431-7075
        (w)864-503-5775

      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
          Opppsss
          Adorama in the USA just post a note about this, and Trausti just sent to me

          <
          http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/04/re-35-will-not-turn-your-35mm-film-camera-digital

          :-(
          Was too good to be real :-(

          best

          On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 1:37 AM, John Riley <johnriley@...> wrote:

          > I am thinking this must be an April Fools Day joke. Otherwise, I hope
          > their technical abilities are better than their grammar:
          >
          > "Set the ISO to 400 and your done" UGGG! You are = you're.
          >
          > John
          >
          > On Apr 4, 2011, at 11:37 PM, AYRTON wrote:
          >
          > > What may this mean to some of us ???
          > > :-)
          > >
          > > <http://www.re35.net/>
          > >
          > > best
          >
          > John Riley
          > 4Pi-VR Media Solutions
          > http://4pi-vr.com
          > johnriley@...
          > (h)864-461-3504
          > (c)864-431-7075
          > (w)864-503-5775

          + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
          + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
          http://ayrton360.com
          twitter.com/ayrton360

        • AYRTON
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
            I'm so daze and confused (Led Zeppelin) that I wrote Adorama
            :-(

            Was Popular Photography
            :-)

            best

            --

            + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
            + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP

          • Kathy Wheeler
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
              On 04/05/2011, at 1:37 PM, AYRTON wrote:

              > What may this mean to some of us ???
              > :-)
              >
              > <http://www.re35.net/>

              "The RE-35 cartridge replaces the film in your classic analog 35-mm camera." gosh ... when did I see this first? 10 years ago? More?? Last time it was little more than vapor-ware, which was a pity, and never really took off. With less and less of the old analog cameras being sold I don't have high hopes for it's success this time round either. Time will tell.

              KathyW.
            • Ken Warner
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
                You know, this may be a joke, but technically, it becomes more and more
                possible each day. There exist today flexible electronics in various
                forms -- displays mostly -- and with smaller and smaller circuits being
                developed -- this could happen. Maybe not exactly like this but
                similar to this that actually could convert your old film camera
                to a real digital camera.

                I myself would like that. No batteries except in the cartridge. No
                "art filters" or video and all the other crap DSLR's foist on you.

                Could happen....

                Kathy Wheeler wrote:
                > On 04/05/2011, at 1:37 PM, AYRTON wrote:
                >
                >> What may this mean to some of us ???
                >> :-)
                >>
                >> <http://www.re35.net/>
                >
                > "The RE-35 cartridge replaces the film in your classic analog 35-mm camera." gosh ... when did I see this first? 10 years ago? More?? Last time it was little more than vapor-ware, which was a pity, and never really took off. With less and less of the old analog cameras being sold I don't have high hopes for it's success this time round either. Time will tell.
                >
                > KathyW.

              • Robert Slade
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                  AYRTON wrote:

                  > Opppsss
                  > Adorama in the USA just post a note about this, and Trausti just sent to me
                  >
                  > <
                  > http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/04/re-35-will-not-turn-your-35mm-film-camera-digital
                  >
                  > :-(
                  > Was too good to be real :-(

                  There was a serious attempt at this type of 35mm camera converter a few
                  years ago (about 2002 of I recall correctly) from a company called
                  "Silicon Film". It was a rigid sensor and memory built into the
                  cannister. The sensor was 1Mp and had a crop factor of something like
                  3x. Later versions were proposed with 4Mp capture, full-frame.

                  The company went bankrupt.

                  Regards,
                  Rob

                  --
                  Robert Slade, Photographer
                  Manor Photography 07890 564889
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                    This is over a decade old idea. I remember the prototype when visiting Photokina
                    in 2000. Nothing had happened since then. But I would like to use my oldie
                    nikons F3 and F5 with digital films... but only for fun, not serious work.

                    Boštjan

                    ________________________________
                      Le 5 avr. 11 à 12:12, Bostjan Burger a écrit :

                      > This is over a decade old idea. I remember the prototype when
                      > visiting Photokina
                      > in 2000. Nothing had happened since then. But I would like to use my
                      > oldie
                      > nikons F3 and F5 with digital films... but only for fun, not serious
                      > work.
                      >
                      > Boštjan
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Keith Martin
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                        Sometime around 5/4/11 (at 00:37 -0400) John Riley said:

                        >I am thinking this must be an April Fools Day joke. Otherwise, I
                        >hope their technical abilities are better than their grammar:
                        >
                        >"Set the ISO to 400 and your done" UGGG! You are = you're.

                        Ouch.

                        But you know what I hate these guys for the most? Reminding me how
                        much I love the tactile mechanical feel of my old 35mm SLRs. If this
                        was real I would seriously consider spending quite a chunk of money
                        on it. Hell, forget 'consider', I definitely would.

                        Damn them! I keep looking at the site and wishing...

                      • Paul Fretheim
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                          The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
                          hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A digital
                          back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.

                          Paul Fretheim
                        • Greg Voisan
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                            I contacted the site and this was their response:

                            Rogge & Pott (per Re35) to me
                            show details 7:11 AM (43 minutes ago)

                            Thankyou for your enquiry about Re35.

                            Some good news:
                            The feedback to our "product" has truly been overwhelming. It seems Re-35
                            really addresses a need and people worldwide can�t seem to wait to get their
                            hands on our "product".

                            The bad news:
                            Some things are to good to be true!
                            Re35 does not really exist. We (the design company Rogge & Pott) created
                            Re35 as an exercise in identity-design. We invented the "product" because it
                            was something, that we had wished for for a long time (as many others).
                            We launched the website and sent out "press releases" on April first -
                            thinking, that the date would make clear, that Re35 is just wishful thinking
                            - a classic April Fools Prank!

                            However:
                            All this attention Re35 ist getting might actually be good for something. It
                            proves, that there is a gigantic community of photographers with analog
                            equipment out there that is desperately waiting for a product like this to
                            come along.

                            We hope there are no hard feelings and that you are not too disappointed.

                            Cheers from Germany.
                            Henning Rogge

                            RE-35
                            Digital Cartridges for analog 35 mm Cameras

                            Rogge & Pott GbR
                            Eppendorfer Weg 95a
                            20259 Hamburg
                            Telefon: +49 40 48401180
                            Telefax: +49 40 48401189
                            E-Mail: design(at)roggeundpott(dot)de
                            Internet: www.roggeundpott.de
                            Vertretungsberechtigte Gesellschafter:
                            Henning Rogge-Pott und Tanja Pott
                            Ust-Id-Nr: DE201963451
                            Our mailing address is:
                            Rogge & Pott
                            Eppendorfer Weg 95a
                            Hamburg, Hamburg 20259
                            Our telephone:

                            Forward this email to a friend:
                            http://us2.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=d598c491fe25506413177562a&id=3873efebf1&e=ffe0c52442
                            Update your profile:
                            http://roggeundpott.us2.list-manage1.com/profile?u=d598c491fe25506413177562a&id=6cc217025a&e=ffe0c52442

                            On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                            > The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
                            > hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A digital
                            > back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.
                            >
                            > Paul Fretheim

                          • Ron Rack
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                              Too bad they don't (as of yet) make a fisheye for the Leica -s
                              http://s.leica-camera.com/

                              Of course I would have to mortgage the house and the studio for it :-(

                              ron rack
                              http://360around.com

                              On Apr 5, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:

                              > The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
                              > hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A
                              > digital
                              > back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.
                              >
                              > Paul Fretheim

                            • Ormar
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                              • Roger Howard
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 6, 2011
                                  On Apr 4, 2011, at 10:24 PM, Ken Warner wrote:

                                  > You know, this may be a joke, but technically, it becomes more and more
                                  > possible each day. There exist today flexible electronics in various
                                  > forms -- displays mostly -- and with smaller and smaller circuits being
                                  > developed -- this could happen. Maybe not exactly like this but
                                  > similar to this that actually could convert your old film camera
                                  > to a real digital camera

                                  This was possible even 10 years ago when the silicon film product was first developed, but it was a bad idea then and a bad idea now. A good digital camera is not just a film camera with a sensor stuck in there - loosely, I might add, which is as I recall one of the major technical difficults the original concept had - too much play possible for the sensor to be reliably positioned. DSLR's are so relatively cheap, and this product such a niche product at best (even if it could be properly developed), that I don't see the point. What's so attractive about using an old 35mm film body for shooting digital - the total lack of integrated controls? A battery system that doesn't have a place to fit? No LCD? No bracketing?

                                  If people think the UI on most DSLRs sucks, just wait until they try to use a film SLR with a loosely mated digital sensor.