Digital Film !?!?

  • AYRTON
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
      What may this mean to some of us ???
      :-)

      <http://www.re35.net/>

      best

      + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
      + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
      http://ayrton360.com
      twitter.com/ayrton360

    • Greg Voisan
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
        Wow. Bring out all that classic equipment!

        On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 8:37 PM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:

        > What may this mean to some of us ???
        > :-)
        >
        > <http://www.re35.net/>
        >
        > best

        > + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
        > + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
        > http://ayrton360.com
        > twitter.com/ayrton360

      • John Riley
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
          I am thinking this must be an April Fools Day joke. Otherwise, I hope their technical abilities are better than their grammar:

          "Set the ISO to 400 and your done" UGGG! You are = you're.

          John

          On Apr 4, 2011, at 11:37 PM, AYRTON wrote:

          > What may this mean to some of us ???
          > :-)
          >
          > <http://www.re35.net/>
          >
          > best

          John Riley
          4Pi-VR Media Solutions
          http://4pi-vr.com
          johnriley@...
          (h)864-461-3504
          (c)864-431-7075
          (w)864-503-5775

        • AYRTON
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
            Opppsss
            Adorama in the USA just post a note about this, and Trausti just sent to me

            <
            http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/04/re-35-will-not-turn-your-35mm-film-camera-digital

            :-(
            Was too good to be real :-(

            best

            On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 1:37 AM, John Riley <johnriley@...> wrote:

            > I am thinking this must be an April Fools Day joke. Otherwise, I hope
            > their technical abilities are better than their grammar:
            >
            > "Set the ISO to 400 and your done" UGGG! You are = you're.
            >
            > John
            >
            > On Apr 4, 2011, at 11:37 PM, AYRTON wrote:
            >
            > > What may this mean to some of us ???
            > > :-)
            > >
            > > <http://www.re35.net/>
            > >
            > > best
            >
            > John Riley
            > 4Pi-VR Media Solutions
            > http://4pi-vr.com
            > johnriley@...
            > (h)864-461-3504
            > (c)864-431-7075
            > (w)864-503-5775

            + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
            + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
            http://ayrton360.com
            twitter.com/ayrton360

          • AYRTON
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
              I'm so daze and confused (Led Zeppelin) that I wrote Adorama
              :-(

              Was Popular Photography
              :-)

              best

              --

              + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
              + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP

            • Kathy Wheeler
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
                On 04/05/2011, at 1:37 PM, AYRTON wrote:

                > What may this mean to some of us ???
                > :-)
                >
                > <http://www.re35.net/>

                "The RE-35 cartridge replaces the film in your classic analog 35-mm camera." gosh ... when did I see this first? 10 years ago? More?? Last time it was little more than vapor-ware, which was a pity, and never really took off. With less and less of the old analog cameras being sold I don't have high hopes for it's success this time round either. Time will tell.

                KathyW.
              • Ken Warner
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
                  You know, this may be a joke, but technically, it becomes more and more
                  possible each day. There exist today flexible electronics in various
                  forms -- displays mostly -- and with smaller and smaller circuits being
                  developed -- this could happen. Maybe not exactly like this but
                  similar to this that actually could convert your old film camera
                  to a real digital camera.

                  I myself would like that. No batteries except in the cartridge. No
                  "art filters" or video and all the other crap DSLR's foist on you.

                  Could happen....

                  Kathy Wheeler wrote:
                  > On 04/05/2011, at 1:37 PM, AYRTON wrote:
                  >
                  >> What may this mean to some of us ???
                  >> :-)
                  >>
                  >> <http://www.re35.net/>
                  >
                  > "The RE-35 cartridge replaces the film in your classic analog 35-mm camera." gosh ... when did I see this first? 10 years ago? More?? Last time it was little more than vapor-ware, which was a pity, and never really took off. With less and less of the old analog cameras being sold I don't have high hopes for it's success this time round either. Time will tell.
                  >
                  > KathyW.

                • Robert Slade
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                    AYRTON wrote:

                    > Opppsss
                    > Adorama in the USA just post a note about this, and Trausti just sent to me
                    >
                    > <
                    > http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/04/re-35-will-not-turn-your-35mm-film-camera-digital
                    >
                    > :-(
                    > Was too good to be real :-(

                    There was a serious attempt at this type of 35mm camera converter a few
                    years ago (about 2002 of I recall correctly) from a company called
                    "Silicon Film". It was a rigid sensor and memory built into the
                    cannister. The sensor was 1Mp and had a crop factor of something like
                    3x. Later versions were proposed with 4Mp capture, full-frame.

                    The company went bankrupt.

                    Regards,
                    Rob

                    --
                    Robert Slade, Photographer
                    Manor Photography 07890 564889
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                      This is over a decade old idea. I remember the prototype when visiting Photokina
                      in 2000. Nothing had happened since then. But I would like to use my oldie
                      nikons F3 and F5 with digital films... but only for fun, not serious work.

                      Boštjan

                      ________________________________
                        Le 5 avr. 11 à 12:12, Bostjan Burger a écrit :

                        > This is over a decade old idea. I remember the prototype when
                        > visiting Photokina
                        > in 2000. Nothing had happened since then. But I would like to use my
                        > oldie
                        > nikons F3 and F5 with digital films... but only for fun, not serious
                        > work.
                        >
                        > Boštjan
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Keith Martin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                          Sometime around 5/4/11 (at 00:37 -0400) John Riley said:

                          >I am thinking this must be an April Fools Day joke. Otherwise, I
                          >hope their technical abilities are better than their grammar:
                          >
                          >"Set the ISO to 400 and your done" UGGG! You are = you're.

                          Ouch.

                          But you know what I hate these guys for the most? Reminding me how
                          much I love the tactile mechanical feel of my old 35mm SLRs. If this
                          was real I would seriously consider spending quite a chunk of money
                          on it. Hell, forget 'consider', I definitely would.

                          Damn them! I keep looking at the site and wishing...

                        • Paul Fretheim
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                            The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
                            hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A digital
                            back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.

                            Paul Fretheim
                          • Greg Voisan
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                              I contacted the site and this was their response:

                              Rogge & Pott (per Re35) to me
                              show details 7:11 AM (43 minutes ago)

                              Thankyou for your enquiry about Re35.

                              Some good news:
                              The feedback to our "product" has truly been overwhelming. It seems Re-35
                              really addresses a need and people worldwide can�t seem to wait to get their
                              hands on our "product".

                              The bad news:
                              Some things are to good to be true!
                              Re35 does not really exist. We (the design company Rogge & Pott) created
                              Re35 as an exercise in identity-design. We invented the "product" because it
                              was something, that we had wished for for a long time (as many others).
                              We launched the website and sent out "press releases" on April first -
                              thinking, that the date would make clear, that Re35 is just wishful thinking
                              - a classic April Fools Prank!

                              However:
                              All this attention Re35 ist getting might actually be good for something. It
                              proves, that there is a gigantic community of photographers with analog
                              equipment out there that is desperately waiting for a product like this to
                              come along.

                              We hope there are no hard feelings and that you are not too disappointed.

                              Cheers from Germany.
                              Henning Rogge

                              RE-35
                              Digital Cartridges for analog 35 mm Cameras

                              Rogge & Pott GbR
                              Eppendorfer Weg 95a
                              20259 Hamburg
                              Telefon: +49 40 48401180
                              Telefax: +49 40 48401189
                              E-Mail: design(at)roggeundpott(dot)de
                              Internet: www.roggeundpott.de
                              Vertretungsberechtigte Gesellschafter:
                              Henning Rogge-Pott und Tanja Pott
                              Ust-Id-Nr: DE201963451
                              Our mailing address is:
                              Rogge & Pott
                              Eppendorfer Weg 95a
                              Hamburg, Hamburg 20259
                              Our telephone:

                              Forward this email to a friend:
                              http://us2.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=d598c491fe25506413177562a&id=3873efebf1&e=ffe0c52442
                              Update your profile:
                              http://roggeundpott.us2.list-manage1.com/profile?u=d598c491fe25506413177562a&id=6cc217025a&e=ffe0c52442

                              On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                              > The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
                              > hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A digital
                              > back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.
                              >
                              > Paul Fretheim

                            • Ron Rack
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                                Too bad they don't (as of yet) make a fisheye for the Leica -s
                                http://s.leica-camera.com/

                                Of course I would have to mortgage the house and the studio for it :-(

                                ron rack
                                http://360around.com

                                On Apr 5, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:

                                > The lenses for my Mamiya RB-67 are incredible and are almost worth the
                                > hassle of film as it is. I want one of these for that camera. A
                                > digital
                                > back was $10,000 U.S. the last time I checked, down from $25,000.
                                >
                                > Paul Fretheim

                              • Ormar
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                                • Roger Howard
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 6, 2011
                                    On Apr 4, 2011, at 10:24 PM, Ken Warner wrote:

                                    > You know, this may be a joke, but technically, it becomes more and more
                                    > possible each day. There exist today flexible electronics in various
                                    > forms -- displays mostly -- and with smaller and smaller circuits being
                                    > developed -- this could happen. Maybe not exactly like this but
                                    > similar to this that actually could convert your old film camera
                                    > to a real digital camera

                                    This was possible even 10 years ago when the silicon film product was first developed, but it was a bad idea then and a bad idea now. A good digital camera is not just a film camera with a sensor stuck in there - loosely, I might add, which is as I recall one of the major technical difficults the original concept had - too much play possible for the sensor to be reliably positioned. DSLR's are so relatively cheap, and this product such a niche product at best (even if it could be properly developed), that I don't see the point. What's so attractive about using an old 35mm film body for shooting digital - the total lack of integrated controls? A battery system that doesn't have a place to fit? No LCD? No bracketing?

                                    If people think the UI on most DSLRs sucks, just wait until they try to use a film SLR with a loosely mated digital sensor.