Stereo panoramas on Iphone4

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4 3:45 AM
      http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id428087225#
      well it shows they might be possible. Hasbro have started selling a binocular viewer that clips onto an Iphone4 in Target stores in the US.
      So you can look at 3d photos and movies that way. But also look around in stereo 360 with the accelerometers -- of CG sharks I think in this app .. but it could be a stereo panorama surely.

      PeterM
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4 4:32 PM
        and now easy to make quickly with the GoPro 3d
        http://gopro.com/news/

        this looks like it will do stereo panoramas with a VFOV of about 135 degrees (if the cameras are vertical) -- or swap the builtin lens for a wider fisheye M12 lens for 180VFOV -- you can see the fisheye stereo effect here
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5oWPUnbDMo (NSFW - audio)

        PeterM

        > http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id428087225#
        > well it shows they might be possible. Hasbro have started selling a binocular viewer that clips onto an Iphone4 in Target stores in the US.
        > So you can look at 3d photos and movies that way. But also look around in stereo 360 with the accelerometers -- of CG sharks I think in this app .. but it could be a stereo panorama surely.
        >
        > PeterM

      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4 4:52 PM
          or here
          http://www.youtube.com/embed/CDQ3rmEeKN8?showinfo=0&fs=1&hl=en_US

          (this looks amazing on a Zalman 3d monitor - polarized)

          -- it is interesting also to see that the fast motion stuff looks really sharp motion-wise -- so it must be using aperture priority with a fixed aperture lens. It looks like at least 1/1000th in some shots. So you could stick this on a fast rotator - say 4 seconds -- and still get sharp stereo panoramas in a variety of outdoor situations. Rolling shutter might be an issue and the dynamic range is so-so but the detail is very good. And other miniature fisheyes -- thinks Fujinon -- might look significantly sharper.

          PeterM

          > and now easy to make quickly with the GoPro 3d
          > http://gopro.com/news/
          >
          > this looks like it will do stereo panoramas with a VFOV of about 135 degrees (if the cameras are vertical) -- or swap the builtin lens for a wider fisheye M12 lens for 180VFOV -- you can see the fisheye stereo effect here
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5oWPUnbDMo (NSFW - audio)
          >
          > PeterM
          >

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <panovrx@> wrote:
          > >
          > > http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id428087225#
          > > well it shows they might be possible. Hasbro have started selling a binocular viewer that clips onto an Iphone4 in Target stores in the US.
          > > So you can look at 3d photos and movies that way. But also look around in stereo 360 with the accelerometers -- of CG sharks I think in this app .. but it could be a stereo panorama surely.
          > >
          > > PeterM

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4 6:57 PM
            Great Find Peter,

            Question, what determines the 3d quality of the clips?

            Some of them REALLY pop, and others fall a little flat literally.

            Stereo separation I imagine. Checking the website. I really don't understand
            the prices.. are they missing zeros?

            Sacha Griffin

            <http://www.seeit360.net/> http://www.seeit360.net

            <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

            <http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/> http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/

            IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...

            Office: 404-551-4275

            GV: 404-665-9990

            "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:

            > and now easy to make quickly with the GoPro 3d
            > http://gopro.com/news/
            >
            > this looks like it will do stereo panoramas with a VFOV of about 135
            degrees (if the cameras are vertical) -- or swap the builtin lens for a
            wider fisheye M12 lens for 180VFOV -- you can see the fisheye stereo effect
            here
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5oWPUnbDMo (NSFW - audio)
            >
            > PeterM
            >

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
            , "panovrx" <panovrx@> wrote:

            > > http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id428087225#
            <http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id428087225>
            > > well it shows they might be possible. Hasbro have started selling a
            binocular viewer that clips onto an Iphone4 in Target stores in the US.
            > > So you can look at 3d photos and movies that way. But also look around
            in stereo 360 with the accelerometers -- of CG sharks I think in this app ..
            but it could be a stereo panorama surely.

            > > PeterM

          • Wim Koornneef
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5 3:21 AM
              panovrx-2 wrote:
              > .....http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id428087225#....
              Hello Peter,

              The link dousn't work for me, perhaps the appstore is blocked for EU
              visitors.

              It is a little OT but recently I converted some of my 3D panos to HtmlCss3
              for dispay on iPad with a disappointing result, lots of ghosting and
              especially the ColorCode system is really suffering from this.
              I contacted ColorCode3D and as it turns out the color gamut of the iPhone
              and iPad is to small to display the colors properly, for ColorCode3D the
              problem is that true blue is presented as a color between blue and cyan and
              this can't be corrected by shifting the hue in an image editor :-(

              Based on this I guess that the app of the link is using a different system
              then color filters, can you tell a bit more about it?

              Best,
              Wim

            • Wim Koornneef
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5 4:17 AM
                Someone sent me this link:

                http://www.hasbro.com/hasbromy3d/en_US/

                It looks simple, easy to use with only a few drawbacks, you can't view 3D
                images together with other persons and the viewer is a bit to bulky to take
                it with you but apart from this it seems to me a very sufficient system.

                Anyone with first hands experience ?

                Best,
                Wim

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5 4:40 AM
                  Another link to the device that explains how to use it:

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfqRiNfy2LQ&feature=related

                  Wim

                • Jim Watters
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5 8:48 AM
                    4 GoPro in portrait is enough to capture 360 deg around.

                    Would putting say 10 around in portrait with lots of overlap create a decent
                    stereo pano? Or do you need to create stereo panos from at least 20 or more images?

                    It has not been proven yet if the sync cable can be used to sync more than two
                    cameras.

                    Jim

                    --
                    Jim Watters
                    http://photocreations.ca
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 5 4:31 PM
                      On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 19:21:34 +0900, Wim Koornneef
                      <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

                      > panovrx-2 wrote:
                      >> .....http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id428087225#....
                      > Hello Peter,
                      >
                      > The link dousn't work for me, perhaps the appstore is blocked for EU
                      > visitors.
                      >
                      > It is a little OT but recently I converted some of my 3D panos to
                      > HtmlCss3
                      > for dispay on iPad with a disappointing result, lots of ghosting and
                      > especially the ColorCode system is really suffering from this.
                      > I contacted ColorCode3D and as it turns out the color gamut of the iPhone
                      > and iPad is to small to display the colors properly, for ColorCode3D the
                      > problem is that true blue is presented as a color between blue and cyan
                      > and
                      > this can't be corrected by shifting the hue in an image editor :-(
                      >
                      > Based on this I guess that the app of the link is using a different
                      > system
                      > then color filters, can you tell a bit more about it?

                      That's disappointing, as I found the red/cyan anaglyph colours very
                      deficient and was looking forward to using ColorCode3D to get better
                      results.

                      I'm surprised to learn about the iPad's limited colour gamut, as the
                      visual impression of photographs shown on the screen is very good.

                      I suppose it may be due to some trade-off for brightness...

                      Roger W.

                      --
                      Work: www.adex-japan.com