Dynamic relighting

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3 7:34 PM
      Probably a lot of you have tried the Oloneo demos
      http://www.oloneo.com/ a newish Raw/Hdr sofware.
      In earlier versions I tried it wasnt very stable with 5DMkII raws but it has interesting features
      like its Relighting module. Say you have four exposures in a room -- all the same exposure but with different lighting. Fluoros on/off, tungsten on/off, windows curtained or not. Load all these into Oloneo and it works out the color and location of the light sources and you can tweak the lights individually (color and intensity) in the composite. I tried with a building interior with a computer lighting panel for diffent "moods" and it was remarkable sometimes how you had discreet controls of the lights in the software.

      But perhaps the most interesting thing was the software interface itself where you can watch your tweaks of the lights in realtime. Maybe the panorama viewer authors might be able to incorporate this idea I thought. eg. if you had 3 panoramas of the same scene and the lighting animates realistically from one type to another, so you feel individual lights are turning on or off, or changing color or you have controls in the pano to do it.

      PeterM
    • robert
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3 9:00 PM

        > Probably a lot of you have tried the Oloneo demos
        > http://www.oloneo.com/ a newish Raw/Hdr sofware.
        > ,,,its Relighting module.

        Most exciting demo I've seen in a long time when it first came out, too bad it requires the exposure to be the same, not sure why. And that requirement and Oloneo's lack of response to that question made me lose interest quite quickly.

        With bracketing, focus stacking, stitching and now "relighting" it seems like it could take a hundred shutter clicks to make a low resolution 360 :)

        > But perhaps the most interesting thing was the software interface itself where you can watch your tweaks of the lights in realtime. Maybe the panorama viewer authors might be able to incorporate this idea I thought. eg. if you had 3 panoramas of the same scene and the lighting animates realistically from one type to another, so you feel individual lights are turning on or off, or changing color or you have controls in the pano to do it.

        Peter, you should check out KRPano if you want to do something like this, it's been possible for quite some time. Here's an example I did a couple of years ago. It's a bit rough and requires a fairly powerful computer, but it works.

        One of these days I may use the even newer technology in KrPano to make it even better and a bit less resource intensive,

        www.robertharshman.com/360vr/art/H13_GM_1.html

        Regards,

        Robert
      • Bostjan Burger
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3 9:17 PM
          This seems to be a fascinating software tool. I haven't heard about the Oloneo
          before ... thnx for sharing.

          Boštjan

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3 10:23 PM
            yeah, it's really neat. I just did a test series on ghost reduction, and Oloneo came out surprisingly close to Photoshop CS5. I tried the relighting, and it's stunning at first, but sort of non-tolreable that it only accepts single exposures. This should really be happening with HDRs - even their example source images are clipped on the actual light source. Turns out, you can also rebuild this sort of effect in Photoshop by isolating individual light contributions with Difference and Exclusion blending modes.

            Oh, and yes, I would love to real blended pano layers in krpano. I'm sure Aldo could rebuild an ADR plugin for us then, his Auto-Levels is are a great start.

            .Blochi