Re: RES: [PanoToolsNG] Unethical advertising incentives?

  • Christian Bloch
    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 2, 2011
      Apologies if I go off-topic.

      But as far as I see it, these social networks are ONLY good for business relations. Personal information, and staying in touch with REAL friends - well, there is no shortcut to the personal time together. If there is a person from my high school, that I lost contact with, then there's no reason to become internet buddies with them right now. There are other old friends that I kept in contact with very well, and transferring these relationships into the virtual space would in fact cancel out valuable face-to-face interaction that I value.

      Also there is the looming privacy concern. AFAIK every online database that is licensed in the US has to open its information to government agencies upon request. That's a simple fact. Coming from East Germany, I can remember the "Stasi", and I know they would have just loved to such an easy way of maintaining a database of all citizens. Call me paranoid, but what's on the internet is and stays on the internet, and if somebody really wants to get access to it, they will. So, as long as facebook or other personal Online IDs are voluntary, I prefer to opt out and keep my personal life for myself.

      That's why I think using these networks for business opportunities is the only proper way to use them.

      Blochi

    • Keith Martin
      Message 43 of 43 , Apr 2, 2011
        I said:

        >Twitter provides a casual, face-to-face-level
        >of communication that's like chatting as you pass in a hall, the
        >street, the park, the pub...

        I meant a face-to-face-LIKE level of communication. Doh!