Leveling of incomplete panoramas

  • Mihai Stanescu
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2 7:54 AM
      Hello all,

      I've shot a handheld spherical panorama (using fisheye) but i did not shoot
      zenith and nadir. It is ok, i accept the black spots. The horizontal raw of
      shots was taken with a -20 degrees pitch (i intended to minimize the bottom
      black spot ).

      The problem is that i tried to level the panorama using this tutorial (
      http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm) but i cannot get it to align
      corectly.

      Any suggestions?
      I am using ptgui

      Thanks
      Mihai

    • Willy Kaemena
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2 8:00 AM
        you can try my tutorial as well

        http://forum.360cities.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=370

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3 2:36 AM
          Am 02.04.2011 16:54, schrieb Mihai Stanescu:
          > The problem is that i tried to level the panorama using this tutorial (
          > http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm) but i cannot get it to align
          > corectly.

          You can also try to level it by hand:
          http://www.ptgui.com/man/straighten.html

          If you have horizon in the image it might be better to use horizontal
          control points. To understand horizontal and vertical control points read
          http://wiki.panotools.org/Horizontal_control_points
          http://wiki.panotools.org/Vertical_control_points
          and eventually:
          http://wiki.panotools.org/Panotools_internals#Line_control_points

        • John Houghton
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3 8:59 AM
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Mihai Stanescu <mihai.stanescu@...> wrote:
            > I've shot a handheld spherical panorama (using fisheye) but i did not
            > shoot zenith and nadir. It is ok, i accept the black spots. The
            > horizontal row of shots was taken with a -20 degrees pitch (i
            > intended to minimize the bottom black spot).
            >
            > The problem is that i tried to level the panorama using this tutorial
            > (http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm) but i cannot get it to align
            > corectly.

            This method is pretty foolproof. The only reason why it would fail is that you haven't assigned the vertical line control points correctly. There's a link to a video in the tutorial which should clarify this. Try levelling your stitched panorama.

            If you still cannot make it work, upload your project file somewhere so that we can check it.

            BTW, since you know the pitch of the images is -20, it will do no harm to manually insert these values on the Image Parameters tab (in Advanced mode). The panorama should then be aproximately level after re-optimizing.

            John