Re: RES: [PanoToolsNG] Unethical advertising incentives?

  • mrjimbo
    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 2, 2011
      Tom,
      I have looked at a few posts on this topic but have mostly stayed away as it's all over the place.. Which my post will be also.. The city of Bozeman MT not long ago was hiring some new city officials.. on of their requirements was that all applicants had to provide their user ands passwords for all their online "social " accounts.. They did... The public soon found out about this and was outraged.. Bozeman got quite a bit of egg on it's face for that. It was determined that it was not against the law just unethical.....an undue invasion of privacy.. In the course of all this what we the public also learned is that once your on one of these it nearly impossible to remove all the information you post. They retain it and it is very much searchable with certain technologies and it is now deemed public.. but the actual users (us) can't do it. Thru things like face book they can and will learn everything or close to it about it's users down to an individual level.. We are in the information age now an most of us think it's cute but don't really know what it means.. Services like face book can profile it's users and do indeed sell that information.. Think about it ..face book is free.. ask yourself how is that possible? So is this Yahoo thing also.. Under the guise of a social network lives much in the back ground. In a matter of seconds the government or a marketing strategy business can analyze every post you've ever made..They don't need people to do this it's all key word logic at the start..but they can go as deep as they want. Their is a lot of interest in who we really are.. theirs a lot of money in that.. Most of we users don't understand the arena we are walking into.. We the public have much to learn.. Anyway just a few thoughts..

      jimbo

      Message 43 of 43 , Apr 2, 2011
        I said:

        >Twitter provides a casual, face-to-face-level
        >of communication that's like chatting as you pass in a hall, the
        >street, the park, the pub...

        I meant a face-to-face-LIKE level of communication. Doh!