Re: new monster

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 29 8:40 AM
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@...> wrote:

      > I made a new monster.
      >

      > http://blog.360cities.net/strahov-40-gigapixel-world-record-indoor-photo/
      >

      > I hope you like it.

      Another one which can not even come close to acceptable quality at 100% zoom in.
      I have checked that you have maxpixelzoom 1.0

      Real size estimation is easy. Zoom out until you have same quality that you would accept on a normal pano.

      That reduced it to 30%
      So from 280000 you are down at 90000.
      Thats a 4 gigapixel.

      I believe you once posted some very similar objections on gigapixel Jeffrey.
      Forgot that.?

      Hans

      > Jeffrey

    • Bostjan Burger
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 29 12:18 PM
        It seems nice. I am shooting indoors with 1.28 gigapixel as my standard
        documentary (no flash but HDR) but comparing the resolution of my 1.28 Gpix VRPs
        to your 40 gigapixel I don't see so much difference ... am I missing something?
        Anyway... I think this is the best way to use gigapixel method but also much
        harder due the DOF.

        Bostjan

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 29 12:38 PM
          Online there isn't too much of a difference due to bandwidth but you
          could see it in a giant print! But at a certain point it's diminishing
          returns and just bragging rights.

          On Mar 29, 2011, at 12:18 PM, Bostjan Burger wrote:

          > It seems nice. I am shooting indoors with 1.28 gigapixel as my
          > standard
          > documentary (no flash but HDR) but comparing the resolution of my
          > 1.28 Gpix VRPs
          > to your 40 gigapixel I don't see so much difference ... am I missing
          > something?
          > Anyway... I think this is the best way to use gigapixel method but
          > also much
          > harder due the DOF.
          >
          > Bostjan

          Cheers
          Robert C. Fisher
          VR Photography / Cinematography
          bob@...
          http://www.rcfisher.com
          Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

        • jrgen_schrader
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 29 12:57 PM
            I must agree with Hans.
            Interesting subject but I would rather call it a nice experiment then a world record.

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I made a new monster.
            > >

            > > http://blog.360cities.net/strahov-40-gigapixel-world-record-indoor-photo/
            > >

            > > I hope you like it.
            >
            > Another one which can not even come close to acceptable quality at 100% zoom in.
            > I have checked that you have maxpixelzoom 1.0
            >
            > Real size estimation is easy. Zoom out until you have same quality that you would accept on a normal pano.
            >
            > That reduced it to 30%
            > So from 280000 you are down at 90000.
            > Thats a 4 gigapixel.
            >
            > I believe you once posted some very similar objections on gigapixel Jeffrey.
            > Forgot that.?
            >
            > Hans
            >

            > > Jeffrey

          • Jim Watters
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 29 1:20 PM
              On 2011-03-29 11:08 AM, Jeffrey Martin wrote:
              > I made a new monster.
              > http://blog.360cities.net/strahov-40-gigapixel-world-record-indoor-photo/

              Tried viewing the gigapixel on my Android phone. It would crash Flash after a
              few seconds. Investigating your xml file I see you used a tile size of 779.
              What is the reason for this size? On my small screen I could tell it loaded an
              array of tiles 3 high X 4 across. There might have been a small portion of
              another row or column. This sounds like too many tiles.

              --
              Jim Watters
              http://photocreations.ca
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 29 1:51 PM
                Am 29.03.2011 21:18, schrieb Bostjan Burger:
                > comparing the resolution of my 1.28 Gpix VRPs
                > to your 40 gigapixel I don't see so much difference ... am I missing something?

                You only can compare resolution if you shoot the same subject from the
                same distance. On the other hand, total pixel count is the square of the
                linear resolution which we perceive. So even in theory a 40 GP panoram
                has only 6 times the resolution of a 1.28 GP one.

                Jeffrey, why is the panorama so grainy if zoomed in to the limit? Don't
                get me wrong. This is still a far better use of gigapixel technology
                than shooting skyscrapers, but wouldn't it have been even better if you
                shot at a lower ISO? I guess a high f-stop for better DOF and short time
                forced you to high ISO in order to get the shots done within one day.
                However, I'd try to autofocus in this case. This would eventually
                require individual FoV for all images but should be still stitchable.

                Ah, and you have an error on your page: 4000 megapixel are 4 gigapixel
                not 40... :-)

                best regards
                Offenburger Str. 33
                79108 Freiburg
              • Ken Warner
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 29 2:12 PM
                  http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/03/strahov-monastery-panoramic-image/

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 29 3:14 PM
                    Am 29.03.2011 23:12, schrieb Ken Warner:
                    > http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/03/strahov-monastery-panoramic-image/

                    Ok, 5 days. I think there would have been some room for a longer
                    exposure time in favor of lower noise. And in favor of less camera
                    shake. Some parts suffer from it.

                    And some smart de-noising would have been possible, too. I tried on a
                    screenshot and it came out pretty good.

                    And of course he did autofocus. There is not enough DoF at 400mm, not
                    even at f/32.

                  • Jim Watters
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 29 4:01 PM
                      On 2011-03-29 7:14 PM, Erik Krause wrote:
                      > of course he did autofocus. There is not enough DoF at 400mm, not even at f/32.
                      I want a camera that can focus bracket. Autofocus & shoot, then take two more
                      shots, one focused in front and one focused in back of the autofocus. And why
                      stop at two focus. Then do exposure stacking on top of that.

                      --
                      Jim Watters
                      http://photocreations.ca
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 30 1:51 AM
                        Jim Watters wrote:
                        > On 2011-03-29 7:14 PM, Erik Krause wrote:
                        >> of course he did autofocus. There is not enough DoF at 400mm, not even at f/32.
                        > I want a camera that can focus bracket. Autofocus& shoot, then take two more
                        > shots, one focused in front and one focused in back of the autofocus. And why
                        > stop at two focus. Then do exposure stacking on top of that.

                        A Canon compact with CHDK can do this. I've done (macro) focus stacking
                        here:

                        http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9473&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=f39fa0f31aa9c2b55a01e27d8f73846f

                        And the same API can control Exposure, so doing HDR + Focus stacks
                        is just a matter of software.

                        BugBear
                      • Mark D. Fink
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 30 3:09 AM
                          I think this is what you're looking for:

                          http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

                          Mark

                          www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>

                          www.northernlight.net <http://www.northernlight.net/>

                          www.virtual-travels.com <http://www.virtual-travels.com/>

                          _____

                          On 2011-03-29 7:14 PM, Erik Krause wrote:
                          > of course he did autofocus. There is not enough DoF at 400mm, not even at
                          f/32.
                          I want a camera that can focus bracket. Autofocus & shoot, then take two
                          more
                          shots, one focused in front and one focused in back of the autofocus. And
                          why
                          stop at two focus. Then do exposure stacking on top of that.

                          --
                          Jim Watters
                          http://photocreations.ca

                          _____

                          No virus found in this message.

                        • Ignacio Ferrando Margelí
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 30 4:45 AM
                            try this:

                            http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html

                            El 30/03/2011, a las 01:01, Jim Watters escribió:

                            > On 2011-03-29 7:14 PM, Erik Krause wrote:
                            >> of course he did autofocus. There is not enough DoF at 400mm, not even at f/32.
                            > I want a camera that can focus bracket. Autofocus & shoot, then take two more
                            > shots, one focused in front and one focused in back of the autofocus. And why
                            > stop at two focus. Then do exposure stacking on top of that.
                            >
                            > --
                            > Jim Watters
                            > http://photocreations.ca

                            Ignacio Ferrando Margelí

                            976 297980 / 646154023

                            Abaco Digital

                            http://www.abaco-digital.es

                          • paul womack
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 30 5:07 AM
                              Ignacio Ferrando Margelí wrote:
                              > try this:
                              >
                              > http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html

                              That's what's needed to process the multiple exposures, not create them.

                              BugBear
                            • Douglas Cape
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 30 5:57 AM
                                Great Work Jeffrey!

                                Can't believe the carping..
                                Android Phone? What?? Get a bigger one!
                                Grainy? Looks good to me...
                                Is it big enough? Yes!
                                Colour Balance and Atmosphere? Excellent!
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 30 5:59 AM
                                  They have that and it works

                                  http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconremote.html

                                  ---------------
                                  Ignacio Ferrando
                                  www.abaco-digital.com
                                  646154023/976297980

                                  El 30/03/2011, a las 14:07, paul womack <pwomack@...> escribió:

                                  > Ignacio Ferrando Margelí wrote:
                                  > > try this:
                                  > >
                                  > > http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html
                                  >
                                  > That's what's needed to process the multiple exposures, not create them.
                                  >
                                  > BugBear

                                • prague
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 30 10:16 AM
                                    Hi Hans,

                                    If you had nothing bad to say about my work then I'd know there is something really wrong.

                                    cheers :-)
                                    jeffrey

                                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I made a new monster.
                                    > >

                                    > > http://blog.360cities.net/strahov-40-gigapixel-world-record-indoor-photo/
                                    > >

                                    > > I hope you like it.
                                    >
                                    > Another one which can not even come close to acceptable quality at 100% zoom in.
                                    > I have checked that you have maxpixelzoom 1.0
                                    >
                                    > Real size estimation is easy. Zoom out until you have same quality that you would accept on a normal pano.
                                    >
                                    > That reduced it to 30%
                                    > So from 280000 you are down at 90000.
                                    > Thats a 4 gigapixel.
                                    >
                                    > I believe you once posted some very similar objections on gigapixel Jeffrey.
                                    > Forgot that.?
                                    >
                                    > Hans
                                    >

                                    > > Jeffrey

                                  • Briar
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 30 1:11 PM
                                      Totally stunning

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 30 1:36 PM
                                        Jeffrey,

                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@> wrote:
                                        > I made a new monster.
                                        >
                                        > http://blog.360cities.net/strahov-40-gigapixel-world-record-indoor-photo/

                                        That Library is simply amazing! Wonderful job, thank you for sharing :-)

                                        KathyW.
                                      • Fernando Costa Pinto
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 31 7:05 PM
                                          Great work Jeffrey ,