Re: [PanoToolsNG] new monster

  • Willy Kaemena
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 29, 2011
      Now put a hotspot on every book... so that we can read it...or download it from the ibook store ;-)

      Willy

      On Mar 29, 2011, at 16:08, Jeffrey Martin wrote:

      > I made a new monster.
      >
      > http://blog.360cities.net/strahov-40-gigapixel-world-record-indoor-photo/
      >
      > I hope you like it.
      >
      > Jeffrey

    • Hans
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 29, 2011
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@...> wrote:

        > I made a new monster.
        >

        > http://blog.360cities.net/strahov-40-gigapixel-world-record-indoor-photo/
        >

        > I hope you like it.

        Another one which can not even come close to acceptable quality at 100% zoom in.
        I have checked that you have maxpixelzoom 1.0

        Real size estimation is easy. Zoom out until you have same quality that you would accept on a normal pano.

        That reduced it to 30%
        So from 280000 you are down at 90000.
        Thats a 4 gigapixel.

        I believe you once posted some very similar objections on gigapixel Jeffrey.
        Forgot that.?

        Hans

        > Jeffrey

      • Bostjan Burger
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 29, 2011
          It seems nice. I am shooting indoors with 1.28 gigapixel as my standard
          documentary (no flash but HDR) but comparing the resolution of my 1.28 Gpix VRPs
          to your 40 gigapixel I don't see so much difference ... am I missing something?
          Anyway... I think this is the best way to use gigapixel method but also much
          harder due the DOF.

          Bostjan

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 29, 2011
            Online there isn't too much of a difference due to bandwidth but you
            could see it in a giant print! But at a certain point it's diminishing
            returns and just bragging rights.

            On Mar 29, 2011, at 12:18 PM, Bostjan Burger wrote:

            > It seems nice. I am shooting indoors with 1.28 gigapixel as my
            > standard
            > documentary (no flash but HDR) but comparing the resolution of my
            > 1.28 Gpix VRPs
            > to your 40 gigapixel I don't see so much difference ... am I missing
            > something?
            > Anyway... I think this is the best way to use gigapixel method but
            > also much
            > harder due the DOF.
            >
            > Bostjan

            Cheers
            Robert C. Fisher
            VR Photography / Cinematography
            bob@...
            http://www.rcfisher.com
            Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

          • jrgen_schrader
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 29, 2011
              I must agree with Hans.
              Interesting subject but I would rather call it a nice experiment then a world record.

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I made a new monster.
              > >

              > > http://blog.360cities.net/strahov-40-gigapixel-world-record-indoor-photo/
              > >

              > > I hope you like it.
              >
              > Another one which can not even come close to acceptable quality at 100% zoom in.
              > I have checked that you have maxpixelzoom 1.0
              >
              > Real size estimation is easy. Zoom out until you have same quality that you would accept on a normal pano.
              >
              > That reduced it to 30%
              > So from 280000 you are down at 90000.
              > Thats a 4 gigapixel.
              >
              > I believe you once posted some very similar objections on gigapixel Jeffrey.
              > Forgot that.?
              >
              > Hans
              >

              > > Jeffrey

            • Jim Watters
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 29, 2011
                On 2011-03-29 11:08 AM, Jeffrey Martin wrote:
                > I made a new monster.
                > http://blog.360cities.net/strahov-40-gigapixel-world-record-indoor-photo/

                Tried viewing the gigapixel on my Android phone. It would crash Flash after a
                few seconds. Investigating your xml file I see you used a tile size of 779.
                What is the reason for this size? On my small screen I could tell it loaded an
                array of tiles 3 high X 4 across. There might have been a small portion of
                another row or column. This sounds like too many tiles.

                --
                Jim Watters
                http://photocreations.ca
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 29, 2011
                  Am 29.03.2011 21:18, schrieb Bostjan Burger:
                  > comparing the resolution of my 1.28 Gpix VRPs
                  > to your 40 gigapixel I don't see so much difference ... am I missing something?

                  You only can compare resolution if you shoot the same subject from the
                  same distance. On the other hand, total pixel count is the square of the
                  linear resolution which we perceive. So even in theory a 40 GP panoram
                  has only 6 times the resolution of a 1.28 GP one.

                  Jeffrey, why is the panorama so grainy if zoomed in to the limit? Don't
                  get me wrong. This is still a far better use of gigapixel technology
                  than shooting skyscrapers, but wouldn't it have been even better if you
                  shot at a lower ISO? I guess a high f-stop for better DOF and short time
                  forced you to high ISO in order to get the shots done within one day.
                  However, I'd try to autofocus in this case. This would eventually
                  require individual FoV for all images but should be still stitchable.

                  Ah, and you have an error on your page: 4000 megapixel are 4 gigapixel
                  not 40... :-)

                  best regards
                  Offenburger Str. 33
                  79108 Freiburg
                • Ken Warner
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 29, 2011
                    http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/03/strahov-monastery-panoramic-image/

                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 29, 2011
                      Am 29.03.2011 23:12, schrieb Ken Warner:
                      > http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/03/strahov-monastery-panoramic-image/

                      Ok, 5 days. I think there would have been some room for a longer
                      exposure time in favor of lower noise. And in favor of less camera
                      shake. Some parts suffer from it.

                      And some smart de-noising would have been possible, too. I tried on a
                      screenshot and it came out pretty good.

                      And of course he did autofocus. There is not enough DoF at 400mm, not
                      even at f/32.

                    • Jim Watters
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 29, 2011
                        On 2011-03-29 7:14 PM, Erik Krause wrote:
                        > of course he did autofocus. There is not enough DoF at 400mm, not even at f/32.
                        I want a camera that can focus bracket. Autofocus & shoot, then take two more
                        shots, one focused in front and one focused in back of the autofocus. And why
                        stop at two focus. Then do exposure stacking on top of that.

                        --
                        Jim Watters
                        http://photocreations.ca
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 30, 2011
                          Jim Watters wrote:
                          > On 2011-03-29 7:14 PM, Erik Krause wrote:
                          >> of course he did autofocus. There is not enough DoF at 400mm, not even at f/32.
                          > I want a camera that can focus bracket. Autofocus& shoot, then take two more
                          > shots, one focused in front and one focused in back of the autofocus. And why
                          > stop at two focus. Then do exposure stacking on top of that.

                          A Canon compact with CHDK can do this. I've done (macro) focus stacking
                          here:

                          http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9473&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=f39fa0f31aa9c2b55a01e27d8f73846f

                          And the same API can control Exposure, so doing HDR + Focus stacks
                          is just a matter of software.

                          BugBear
                        • Mark D. Fink
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 30, 2011
                            I think this is what you're looking for:

                            http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

                            Mark

                            www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>

                            www.northernlight.net <http://www.northernlight.net/>

                            www.virtual-travels.com <http://www.virtual-travels.com/>

                            _____

                            On 2011-03-29 7:14 PM, Erik Krause wrote:
                            > of course he did autofocus. There is not enough DoF at 400mm, not even at
                            f/32.
                            I want a camera that can focus bracket. Autofocus & shoot, then take two
                            more
                            shots, one focused in front and one focused in back of the autofocus. And
                            why
                            stop at two focus. Then do exposure stacking on top of that.

                            --
                            Jim Watters
                            http://photocreations.ca

                            _____

                            No virus found in this message.

                          • Ignacio Ferrando Margelí
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 30, 2011
                              try this:

                              http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html

                              El 30/03/2011, a las 01:01, Jim Watters escribió:

                              > On 2011-03-29 7:14 PM, Erik Krause wrote:
                              >> of course he did autofocus. There is not enough DoF at 400mm, not even at f/32.
                              > I want a camera that can focus bracket. Autofocus & shoot, then take two more
                              > shots, one focused in front and one focused in back of the autofocus. And why
                              > stop at two focus. Then do exposure stacking on top of that.
                              >
                              > --
                              > Jim Watters
                              > http://photocreations.ca

                              Ignacio Ferrando Margelí

                              976 297980 / 646154023

                              Abaco Digital

                              http://www.abaco-digital.es

                            • paul womack
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 30, 2011
                                Ignacio Ferrando Margelí wrote:
                                > try this:
                                >
                                > http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html

                                That's what's needed to process the multiple exposures, not create them.

                                BugBear
                              • Douglas Cape
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 30, 2011
                                  Great Work Jeffrey!

                                  Can't believe the carping..
                                  Android Phone? What?? Get a bigger one!
                                  Grainy? Looks good to me...
                                  Is it big enough? Yes!
                                  Colour Balance and Atmosphere? Excellent!
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 30, 2011
                                    They have that and it works

                                    http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconremote.html

                                    ---------------
                                    Ignacio Ferrando
                                    www.abaco-digital.com
                                    646154023/976297980

                                    El 30/03/2011, a las 14:07, paul womack <pwomack@...> escribió:

                                    > Ignacio Ferrando Margelí wrote:
                                    > > try this:
                                    > >
                                    > > http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html
                                    >
                                    > That's what's needed to process the multiple exposures, not create them.
                                    >
                                    > BugBear

                                  • prague
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 30, 2011
                                      Hi Hans,

                                      If you had nothing bad to say about my work then I'd know there is something really wrong.

                                      cheers :-)
                                      jeffrey

                                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I made a new monster.
                                      > >

                                      > > http://blog.360cities.net/strahov-40-gigapixel-world-record-indoor-photo/
                                      > >

                                      > > I hope you like it.
                                      >
                                      > Another one which can not even come close to acceptable quality at 100% zoom in.
                                      > I have checked that you have maxpixelzoom 1.0
                                      >
                                      > Real size estimation is easy. Zoom out until you have same quality that you would accept on a normal pano.
                                      >
                                      > That reduced it to 30%
                                      > So from 280000 you are down at 90000.
                                      > Thats a 4 gigapixel.
                                      >
                                      > I believe you once posted some very similar objections on gigapixel Jeffrey.
                                      > Forgot that.?
                                      >
                                      > Hans
                                      >

                                      > > Jeffrey

                                    • Briar
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 30, 2011
                                        Totally stunning

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 30, 2011
                                          Jeffrey,

                                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@> wrote:
                                          > I made a new monster.
                                          >
                                          > http://blog.360cities.net/strahov-40-gigapixel-world-record-indoor-photo/

                                          That Library is simply amazing! Wonderful job, thank you for sharing :-)

                                          KathyW.
                                        • Fernando Costa Pinto
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 31, 2011
                                            Great work Jeffrey ,