Correcting camera movement in batch

  • Ico
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 29, 2011
      Hi,

      I have a large (>20K) number of pictures which were taken over the
      period of a year. The camera was supposed to be statically mounted, but
      it seems that there have been small movements (pitch,yaw) a few times,
      causing not all pictures to be properly aligned. The idea is to make
      the images into a movie, so the image should be all aligned to the same
      point to get the best end result.

      My initial plan was to write some code to detect one or two known
      features in each image and perform rotation and translation myself, but
      I have the feeling the same can be accomplished using pano tools. The
      resulting images do not have to be combined into a single panorama, but
      each picture should be panned/rotated so all images are aligned, I can
      simply crop afterwards.

      Am I right that this can be done with panotools, and can anybody give me
      some hints to get started ?

      Thanks,

      Ico

      --
      :wq
      ^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 29, 2011
        Ico wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have a large (>20K) number of pictures which were taken over the
        > period of a year. The camera was supposed to be statically mounted, but
        > it seems that there have been small movements (pitch,yaw) a few times,
        > causing not all pictures to be properly aligned. The idea is to make
        > the images into a movie, so the image should be all aligned to the same
        > point to get the best end result.
        >
        > My initial plan was to write some code to detect one or two known
        > features in each image and perform rotation and translation myself, but
        > I have the feeling the same can be accomplished using pano tools. The
        > resulting images do not have to be combined into a single panorama, but
        > each picture should be panned/rotated so all images are aligned, I can
        > simply crop afterwards.
        >
        > Am I right that this can be done with panotools, and can anybody give me
        > some hints to get started ?

        http://hugin.sourceforge.net/docs/manual/Align_image_stack.html

        I have a vague memory that this question has been asked before
        on this list - try searching.

        BugBear
      • jrgen_schrader
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 29, 2011
          There are also tools for Timelapse folks, for example the Deshaker plugin for Virtual Dub.

          But don't forget to post the result here ;)

          Good luck
          Jürgen

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack <pwomack@...> wrote:

          > Ico wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I have a large (>20K) number of pictures which were taken over the
          > > period of a year. The camera was supposed to be statically mounted, but
          > > it seems that there have been small movements (pitch,yaw) a few times,
          > > causing not all pictures to be properly aligned. The idea is to make
          > > the images into a movie, so the image should be all aligned to the same
          > > point to get the best end result.
          > >
          > > My initial plan was to write some code to detect one or two known
          > > features in each image and perform rotation and translation myself, but
          > > I have the feeling the same can be accomplished using pano tools. The
          > > resulting images do not have to be combined into a single panorama, but
          > > each picture should be panned/rotated so all images are aligned, I can
          > > simply crop afterwards.
          > >
          > > Am I right that this can be done with panotools, and can anybody give me
          > > some hints to get started ?
          >
          > http://hugin.sourceforge.net/docs/manual/Align_image_stack.html
          >
          > I have a vague memory that this question has been asked before
          > on this list - try searching.
          >
          > BugBear

        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 29, 2011
            give the Mercalli demo a go
            http://www.prodad.com/home/products/videostabilizing/300391667,l-us.xhtml
            it has a setting "Rock Steady" or something which worked really well - when I tried the demo - even with a 5D 15mm fisheye video sequence I was trying to make steady

            PeterM

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 29, 2011
              Am 29.03.2011 13:34, schrieb paul womack:

              >> > Am I right that this can be done with panotools, and can anybody give me
              >> > some hints to get started ?

              Yes, of course. Load images into PTGui or hugin, create control points,
              optimize....

              > http://hugin.sourceforge.net/docs/manual/Align_image_stack.html

              ... align_image_stack works pretty good. It uses panotools functionality.

            • Christian Bloch
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 29, 2011
                I recommend After Effects. Camera Stabilizing is a common task in video production, so you can get plenty of tutorials online for attaching a tracker and stabilizing the footage.

                .Blochi

                On Mar 29, 2011, at 3:47 AM, Ico wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I have a large (>20K) number of pictures which were taken over the
                > period of a year. The camera was supposed to be statically mounted, but
                > it seems that there have been small movements (pitch,yaw) a few times,
                > causing not all pictures to be properly aligned. The idea is to make
                > the images into a movie, so the image should be all aligned to the same
                > point to get the best end result.
                >
                > My initial plan was to write some code to detect one or two known
                > features in each image and perform rotation and translation myself, but
                > I have the feeling the same can be accomplished using pano tools. The
                > resulting images do not have to be combined into a single panorama, but
                > each picture should be panned/rotated so all images are aligned, I can
                > simply crop afterwards.
                >
                > Am I right that this can be done with panotools, and can anybody give me
                > some hints to get started ?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Ico
                >
                > --
                > :wq
                > ^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C

              • Ico
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 30, 2011
                  * On Tue Mar 29 20:58:29 +0200 2011, Christian Bloch wrote:

                  > I recommend After Effects. Camera Stabilizing is a common task in
                  > video production, so you can get plenty of tutorials online for
                  > attaching a tracker and stabilizing the footage.

                  Good tip, will look into that, thanks
                  --
                  :wq
                  ^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C