Canon 8-15mm f/4 zoom fisheye

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 28, 2011
      This lens has been widely featured in the Japanese camera
      magazines this month, and it's list-priced at 150,000 yen
      (plus 5% sales tax).It is typically selling at about
      128,000 yen in the larger retail stores.

      It is hard to judge the quality of the images from the
      printed examples, and the text makes scarcely a reference
      to the things that interest a panorama photographer, like
      vignetting and colour aberration. Almost every article
      makes disclaimers along the lines "little use in general
      photographer" "hardly worth the price for a lens whose
      gimmicky effects will soon pall" and the explanation that
      the fierce barrel distortion is a "feature" not a bug. I
      haven't noticed any references to its use in stitched
      panoramas, although I haven't read each review in detail.

      Sigh.

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com
    • Thomas Krüger
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 28, 2011
        The lens is delayed, a new date is not available from Canon:
        http://cweb.canon.jp/ef/info/20110324/

      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 28, 2011
          On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 01:30:52 +0900, Thomas Krüger <th.krueger@...>
          wrote:

          > The lens is delayed, a new date is not available from Canon:
          > http://cweb.canon.jp/ef/info/20110324/

          This news release is dated March 24, so it obviously wasn't
          in time for the April issue of the magazines I read.

          Wonder what's holding them up? It could be the earthquake
          and tsunami, which have put a couple of Canon factories
          out of operation and cut power supplies to a number of
          others.

          Roger W.

          --
          Work: www.adex-japan.com