Re: [PanoToolsNG] Zero -- Madison, Wisconsin - An Update

  • Scott Witte
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 26, 2011
      Greg,

      Canon 1Ds, Tokina 10 - 17 fisheye set to 12mm (10 would have been better
      because it offers more overlap. Four shots around, although I usually
      shoot a lot of them and sometimes use several shots covering the same
      angle so I have more bits to choose from. An up shot inside and a down
      shot where possible but more often the nadir had to be created in PS.
      360 Precision adjust on a tallish tripod. (camera would be 7+ feet up.)

      For software I use PTGui with the critical and brilliant SmartBlend. It
      totally amazes me what that combo can piece together. The masking
      feature in the current PTGui is brilliant as well. Final retouching,
      sometimes extensive, is done in Photoshop.

      Scott

      On 3/26/2011 2:09 PM, Greg Voisan wrote:
      > Fantastic work.
      >
      > What camera/pole/software set up do you like to use in crowd situations?
      >
      > Thanks for sharing,
      >
      > Greg
      >
      > On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Scott Witte<scottw@...> wrote:
      >

      >> More than a month has passed since my Ground Zero in Madison
      >> <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/madison_protest/index.html> site was
      >> first posted so an update may be in order and of interest, especially
      >> the 360 for print page
      >> <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/madison_protest/panoramas.html>:
      >>
      >> Images have been added from the 2/26 and 3/12 rallies. Both had roughly
      >> 100,000 in attendance.
      >>
      >> Of special interest may be the aerial view taken from on top of a boom
      >> lift. Took a lot of retouching to remove that from the spherical 360.
      >> Shooting with a really tall pole might have made more sense. For various
      >> reasons that didn't happen.
      >>
      >> I become fascinated by how the 360 images might work in print and put up
      >> a separate page exploring that
      >> <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/madison_protest/panoramas.html>. The
      >> interactive comparison between pano view and standard camera view at the
      >> bottom proved interesting, I feel. Current plan is to publish one or
      >> more of these views as posters.
      >>
      >> Over the past month the site has gotten 72,000+ visitors all by word of
      >> "mouth." Two peak days saw nearly 8,000 each. Traffic has diminished
      >> over the past week or so as Madison drops off the news. 17,000+ came via
      >> Facebook but most, 45,000, came via emails people sent to others. I
      >> burned through 620 GB of bandwidth so far this month alone. Thank God it
      >> wasn't discovered by Huffington Post or some other major site.
      >>
      >> I expect numbers like these are nothing special for some, but for me it
      >> has been quite an experience. Too bad the poster idea hadn't occurred
      >> to me earlier or I might have had a way to monetize that volume of traffic.
      >>
      >> --
      >> Scott Witte
      >>
      >> <http://www.scottwitte.com>
      >> <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>