Re: [PanoToolsNG] Job advert appearing in NZ for Panorama photographer

  • Murray C
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 5, 2011
      -----Original Message-----
      From: michaelbajko
      Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2011 6:59 PM
      To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Job advert appearing in NZ for Panorama photographer

      Kia Ora everyone'

      Below is a job advert appearing on
      http://www.thebigidea.co.nz/work/jobs-opportunities/multimedia/82170-pan\
      oramic-photographer
      <http://www.thebigidea.co.nz/work/jobs-opportunities/multimedia/82170-pa\
      noramic-photographer>
      an arts community site in New Zealand,
      and my response to the advertiser, copied to the arts site and the
      IVRPA.

      Cheers Michael

      --------------------------------

      Panoramic photographer
      beek.co
      Organisation/person name: Beek
      Work type: Freelance
      Work classification: Photography
      Job description:

      Beek is an interactive destination guide that is getting ready to embark
      on a national rollout of our interactive guide product. If you can
      provide spherical panoramic images or virtual tours we want to hear from
      you.

      We would like to find photographers out there who can supply
      equirectangular panoramic images. Generally they will need to be high
      dynamic range, full spherical images that usually have people in them,
      showing rooms and spaces in hotels, restaurants, attractions and public
      spaces.

      You will need your own quality DSLR, Fisheye lens and tripod with a
      rotator. You will be able to stitch your images in stitching software
      such as ptgui or autopano, and be able to provide processed images at
      6000x3000 pixels.

      You will usually be paid $150 per image, and will be responsible for all
      of your own costs and expenses. You may be asked to provide some images
      without charge to support sales activity.

      Please send examples of images to ben@... with your contact details
      and location.
      Opportunity location: New Zealand
      Key skills sought:
      Photography
      image stitching
      photoshop
      This opportunity is: Paid
      Salary low $: 0
      Salary high $: 0
      Closing date: Saturday, 2 April 2011
      Contact details:
      Email ben@... with examples of images.
      Submitted by beek on Wed, 02/03/2011 - 11:33am.

      Kia Ora Ben,

      I write concerning your job advertisement in 'The Big Idea, Te Aria
      Nui' for a 'Panoramic Photographer'
      I am a vr panoramic photographer of four years standing and an associate
      member of the IVRPA ( International Virtual Reality Photographers
      Association).

      Neither myself or the association consider a flat fee per image,
      incorporating responsibility for all costs and expenses, as professional
      conduct.
      Providing images without charge especialy so.
      The association recomends charging per assignmet, specifically taking
      into account costs and expenses.
      Agreement is made through written contract, and rights of the image are
      most always held by the photographer and liscensed to the client by
      writen agreement.

      Commercial VR photography is rare in Aotearoa/New Zealand and it is my
      concern that it's growth is undertaken in as professional manner as
      possible.

      No reira,
      Regards Michael

      Michael Bajko BFA
      The Fine Art Of Photography
      Associate Member IVRPA ( International Virtual Reality Photography
      Association )
      Waitakere, Auckland
      Aotearoa/ New Zealand

      ------------------------------------

      And here's a reply from Ben at Beeks when I queried their job description
      and their lowly rates:

      "Thank you for your email. I don't think you are who we are looking for, the
      role will not change and the response we've had would indicate your in a
      minority. "

      Based on the fact that he doesn't know any thing about me, other than my
      Christian name, it's a somewhat arrogant and misguided assumption!

      Murray C

      --
    • Kathy Wheeler
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 6, 2011
        On 03/06/2011, at 6:43 PM, Murray C wrote:
        > "Thank you for your email. I don't think you are who we are looking for, the
        > role will not change and the response we've had would indicate your in a
        > minority. "
        >
        > Based on the fact that he doesn't know any thing about me, other than my
        > Christian name, it's a somewhat arrogant and misguided assumption!

        And his grammar is suspect:
        "would indicate your in a"
        surely *should* have been
        "would indicate you're in a"

        ... looks like *you're* better off without them. They're looking for cheap labor and someone who doesn't know his/her rights.

        Regards,
        KathyW.
      • Michael Bajko BFA - The Fine Art of Photo
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 6, 2011
          Good on you for enquiring Murray.
          Not surprised at the reply.
          Here's what I got;

          > Micheal,
          >
          > Thank you for your email raising your concerns.
          >
          > I can assure you offering a great source of income to photographers to
          > make this their profession is by no means unprofessional - I've been
          > paying our photographer here the same rate and he's shooting 30-40
          > images a week which has enabled the role to become 'professional' for
          > him. Please tell me where else he could find this volume of well paid
          > work and I'll ask him if he's interested?
          >
          > If you feel that what we are offering is inappropriate, please tell me
          > what you think a suitable rate for shooting 10 images in a local city
          > centre business is, especially if you can do another one the same day.
          > And you don't have to deal with the clients or be involved in the
          > sales process. And you get paid within a week of the images being
          > approved?
          >
          > I've looked through your site and I don't think the type of
          > photography we are looking for is really in the same category so
          > really, you have no need to worry and we won't be stepping on your
          > toes. We are more commercially focused than fine art photographers.
          >
          > At present there is a very limited growth of commercial VR
          > photography, we've managed to come up with a new way to access a large
          > market for our photographers and provide regular, high volume work so
          > I believe we are helping rather than hindering growth of the industry.
          >
          > I welcome your comments.
          >
          > Best regards,
          >

          > Ben Knill

          Doesn't answer our concerns at all.
          Michael

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 6, 2011
            > Thank you for your email raising your concerns.
            >
            > I can assure you offering a great source of income to photographers to
            > make this their profession is by no means unprofessional - I've been
            > paying our photographer here the same rate and he's shooting 30-40
            > images a week which has enabled the role to become 'professional' for
            > him. Please tell me where else he could find this volume of well paid
            > work and I'll ask him if he's interested?
            >
            > If you feel that what we are offering is inappropriate, please tell me
            > what you think a suitable rate for shooting 10 images in a local city
            > centre business is, especially if you can do another one the same day.
            > And you don't have to deal with the clients or be involved in the
            > sales process. And you get paid within a week of the images being
            > approved?
            >
            > I've looked through your site and I don't think the type of
            > photography we are looking for is really in the same category so
            > really, you have no need to worry and we won't be stepping on your
            > toes. We are more commercially focused than fine art photographers.
            >
            > At present there is a very limited growth of commercial VR
            > photography, we've managed to come up with a new way to access a large
            > market for our photographers and provide regular, high volume work so
            > I believe we are helping rather than hindering growth of the industry.
            >
            > I welcome your comments.
            >
            > Best regards,
            >

            > Ben Knill

            Doesn't answer our concerns at all.
            Michael

            --
            Michael Bajko BFA
            The Fine Art Of Photography
            Associate Member IVRPA ( International Virtual Reality Photography
            Association )
            Waitakere, Auckland
            Aotearoa/ New Zealand

            Michael

            Just a few seconds ago I received a copy of the the reply Beek forwarded to
            you! Not very professional in my view. I have many reservations in respect
            of the claims they make. Beeks will be the winner of this venture. It's a
            good example of how (professional) vr photographers can be exploited.

            Murray

            ------------------------------------

            --
          • jrgen_schrader
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 6, 2011
              Well, to be honest I am not sure what you are complaining about.
              I went to a huge museum last week to shoot some images for a tour.
              In the afternoon I took 30 panoramas with bracketed shots in a couple of hours and processed most of them in the evening. The outcome was close to perfect and exceeded customers expectations. And I can assure you I will not get 150 each.
              I don't know about general income in NZ but with the prospect of doing 30 or 40 images per week at this rate I would be rather happy for a while.

              Cheers
              Jürgen

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "michaelbajko" <michael@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > incorporating responsibility for all costs and expenses, as professional
              > conduct.
              > Providing images without charge especialy so.
              > The association recomends charging per assignmet, specifically taking
              > into account costs and expenses.
              > Agreement is made through written contract, and rights of the image are
              > most always held by the photographer and liscensed to the client by
              > writen agreement.
              >
              > Commercial VR photography is rare in Aotearoa/New Zealand and it is my
              > concern that it's growth is undertaken in as professional manner as
              > possible.
              >
              > No reira,
              > Regards Michael
              >
              > Michael Bajko BFA
              > The Fine Art Of Photography
              > Associate Member IVRPA ( International Virtual Reality Photography

            • Hans
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 6, 2011
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "michaelbajko" <michael@...> wrote:

                > Kia Ora everyone'
                >
                > Below is a job advert appearing on
                > http://www.thebigidea.co.nz/work/jobs-opportunities/multimedia/82170-pan\
                > oramic-photographer
                > <http://www.thebigidea.co.nz/work/jobs-opportunities/multimedia/82170-pa\
                > noramic-photographer>
                > an arts community site in New Zealand,
                > and my response to the advertiser, copied to the arts site and the
                > IVRPA.
                >
                > Cheers Michael

                Beek
                http://beek.co/index.html
                And an example.

                http://a.beek.co/g.htm?s=boltonhotel_reception&t=1

                I guess this is the worst mistreatment of KRPano I ever seen.

                I guess that if I try to load it on my last computer I will not be able to move it.
                Not sure what they done with it.

                Hans

> [...]
                > incorporating responsibility for all costs and expenses, as professional
                > conduct.
                > Providing images without charge especialy so.
                > The association recomends charging per assignmet, specifically taking
                > into account costs and expenses.
                > Agreement is made through written contract, and rights of the image are
                > most always held by the photographer and liscensed to the client by
                > writen agreement.
                >
                > Commercial VR photography is rare in Aotearoa/New Zealand and it is my
                > concern that it's growth is undertaken in as professional manner as
                > possible.
                >
                > No reira,
                > Regards Michael
                >
                > Michael Bajko BFA
                > The Fine Art Of Photography
                > Associate Member IVRPA ( International Virtual Reality Photography

              • Stephani Hill
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 6, 2011
                  I believe that is what is referred to as a "drive by shoot" or "quick and dirty."

                  As a consumer, I would be very unhappy with the finished product if it included stitching errors.

                  Stephani
                • michaelbajko
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 6, 2011
                    Hi Jurgen,
                    In reality it would be more like 10-20 images full stop, not per week,and then it'd be off out of town for a couple of images here, a couple of images there, full stop.
                    We just don't have the population/economic scale to do what you just have, so basically it's a one off for a couple of grand and that's it.
                    On the other side of the coin, as Hans has pointed out experience and quality is crap which doesn't do any of us here in NZ that are endeavouring to raise our standards any good either.
                    Cheers Michael

                    OT: PS. Enjoyed seeing your cat on your knee on the last IVRPA video cast. I'm a catman too, why I love Roger's swimming tiger series.

> [...]
                    > > incorporating responsibility for all costs and expenses, as professional
                    > > conduct.
                    > > Providing images without charge especialy so.
                    > > The association recomends charging per assignmet, specifically taking
                    > > into account costs and expenses.
                    > > Agreement is made through written contract, and rights of the image are
                    > > most always held by the photographer and liscensed to the client by
                    > > writen agreement.
                    > >
                    > > Commercial VR photography is rare in Aotearoa/New Zealand and it is my
                    > > concern that it's growth is undertaken in as professional manner as
                    > > possible.
                    > >
                    > > No reira,
                    > > Regards Michael
                    > >
                    > > Michael Bajko BFA
                    > > The Fine Art Of Photography
                    > > Associate Member IVRPA ( International Virtual Reality Photography

                  • benknill
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 7, 2011
                      Hans,

                      Thank you for your comments. I'm not sure what Klaus would say I'm sure he's seen worse!

                      We are trying to build a product people will buy. People are buying it, lots of them and while we know we have not built the perfect user interface as I'm not a developer and have been learning as I go - I have now managed to raise some capital based on what I have achieved and have engaged some pretty serious developers who are building a new interface based on what are customers are asking for.

                      As we generate more custom using our new interface and business model, we will invite other photographers to use it and we will pay them to supply images.

                      Unfortunately, most of the interfaces out there are built by photographers for other photographers and our user testing has shown some glaring weaknesses in a standard pano user interface. We are trying to work towards something that is usable and useful, and while we are not there yet it is something we think we can get to.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 8, 2011
                        Kia Ora Ben,
                        I unreservedly apologise for the injudicious use of language and
                        assumptions in my last post.
                        My benchmark for quality is members work from the IVRPA.
                        My intention has been the promotion of, the quality of, VR photography.
                        I concede that my post was unamicable to this, and the work you are doing.
                        I wish you, and your endeavour, well.