Re: Video remote

  • jann_lipka
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2011
      Peter - thank you for this - as usual inspiring report -

      So the main usage for that gizmo would be in situations like this - when photographer is behind some people and cannot see what is in the viewer .

      What other possible scenarios ?

      Is it possible to activate Live view with it ?

      (for example when you see with the built in (poor quality)
      video camera that something is going on .. )
    • pedro_silva58
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 6, 2011
        peter,
        being something of a self-confessed compulsive shopper of new remote control gadgets ;-) , and having found the video display itself of rather low quality, you might find this more useful:
        http://www.marshallmonitors.com/products/monitors/V-LCD50-HDMI/index.html
        http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/730644-REG/Marshall_V_LCD50_HDMI_V_LCD50_HDMI_5_On_Camera_Monitor.html
        usual disclaimers apply, and i haven't actually used one of these (those who have no money have no vices :-) ).
        cheers,
        pedro

        > Being something of a compulsive shopper of new remote control gadgets I bought the Hahnel Livevideo remote when it came out a month or two ago
        > http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=dslrremotecontrols&id=65&pId=65
        > but didn't have occasion to use it until last night where it was useful for photographing the Mardi Gras parade here (where unless you arrive hours before you have no chance of getting a good view from the crowd).
        > http://www.mediavr.com/mardigras2011.htm
        >
        > Here I had the video output from my Canon plugged into the transmitter part attached to the camera hotshoe and that transmits the video view from the camera to the receiver which I had clamped to the pole at eyelevel so I could have some idea what was happening in the parade (it also has a inbuilt camera -- very low quality -- in the transmitter unit itself -- which you can use alternatively.) The video display itself is rather low quality for the price I thought but it gives a basic idea of the image and whether the camera is rotating properly. You can also use the gadget as a radio release for the camera.
        >
        > (Canon5dMII, Nikkor 10.5mm at f2.8, 1/80th at 6400ISO)
        >
        > PeterM

      • jann_lipka
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 6, 2011
          Nice screen but 600$
          and a wire ....

          http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=4910
        • Christian Bloch
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 9, 2011
            Interesting. So, if that thing also acts as remote control and connects to up to 4 cameras, can you also start/stop video recording with it? Because that's just what I was looking for....

            Blochi

            On Mar 5, 2011, at 4:06 PM, panovrx wrote:

            > Being something of a compulsive shopper of new remote control gadgets I bought the Hahnel Livevideo remote when it came out a month or two ago
            > http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=dslrremotecontrols&id=65&pId=65
            > but didn't have occasion to use it until last night where it was useful for photographing the Mardi Gras parade here (where unless you arrive hours before you have no chance of getting a good view from the crowd).
            > http://www.mediavr.com/mardigras2011.htm
            >
            > Here I had the video output from my Canon plugged into the transmitter part attached to the camera hotshoe and that transmits the video view from the camera to the receiver which I had clamped to the pole at eyelevel so I could have some idea what was happening in the parade (it also has a inbuilt camera -- very low quality -- in the transmitter unit itself -- which you can use alternatively.) The video display itself is rather low quality for the price I thought but it gives a basic idea of the image and whether the camera is rotating properly. You can also use the gadget as a radio release for the camera.
            >
            > (Canon5dMII, Nikkor 10.5mm at f2.8, 1/80th at 6400ISO)
            >
            > PeterM

          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 9, 2011

              > Interesting. So, if that thing also acts as remote control and connects to up to 4 cameras, can you also start/stop video recording with it? Because that's just what I was looking for....
              >
              > Blochi

              I dont think there is any way of using a wireless remote to start the video on a 5D. (Except via a wireless to IR gadget or via a servo lever).
              IR can do it
              http://geekologist.com/blog/2010/05/17/video-remote-control-of-the-5d-mark-ii-7d/
              The video on the Hahnel transmitter/receiver is just the low quality analog video output from the camera -- which is good for nothing except seeing what the camera is looking at -- and your control settings.

              PeterM
            • Robert C. Fisher
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 9, 2011
                Well starting and stopping 5D/7Ds is not too difficult. I have been
                working on doing this for The Last Shuttle Project. I did a load of
                research and the most flexible way is using an Arduino and IR
                triggering on the cameras. I have used a lot of different methods and
                so it is easy to do.

                We are also running a Kickstarter Project if you want to check it out.
                Please help out if you can We have a long way to go funding our project.
                https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1691016518/the-last-shuttle

                On Mar 9, 2011, at 7:50 PM, panovrx wrote:

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Christian Bloch <Blochi@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Interesting. So, if that thing also acts as remote control and
                > connects to up to 4 cameras, can you also start/stop video recording
                > with it? Because that's just what I was looking for....
                > >
                > > Blochi
                > >

                > I dont think there is any way of using a wireless remote to start
                > the video on a 5D. (Except via a wireless to IR gadget or via a
                > servo lever).
                > IR can do it
                > http://geekologist.com/blog/2010/05/17/video-remote-control-of-the-5d-mark-ii-7d/
                > The video on the Hahnel transmitter/receiver is just the low quality
                > analog video output from the camera -- which is good for nothing
                > except seeing what the camera is looking at -- and your control
                > settings.
                >
                > PeterM

                Cheers
                Robert C. Fisher
                VR Photography / Cinematography
                bob@...
                http://www.rcfisher.com
                Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

              • Christian Bloch
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 10, 2011
                  Great, thanks low-res video is really all we would need...
                  IR is terribly unreliable. Wonder if the Magic Lantern firmware can do something like that.

                  Blochi

                  On Mar 9, 2011, at 7:50 PM, panovrx wrote:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Christian Bloch <Blochi@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Interesting. So, if that thing also acts as remote control and connects to up to 4 cameras, can you also start/stop video recording with it? Because that's just what I was looking for....
                  > >
                  > > Blochi
                  > >

                  > I dont think there is any way of using a wireless remote to start the video on a 5D. (Except via a wireless to IR gadget or via a servo lever).
                  > IR can do it
                  > http://geekologist.com/blog/2010/05/17/video-remote-control-of-the-5d-mark-ii-7d/
                  > The video on the Hahnel transmitter/receiver is just the low quality analog video output from the camera -- which is good for nothing except seeing what the camera is looking at -- and your control settings.
                  >
                  > PeterM

                • panovrx
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 10, 2011
                    Maybe Robert Fisher in the previous post used a method like this
                    http://controlyourcamera.blogspot.com/2010/01/automatically-resume-video-shooting-on.html

                    IR should be reliable if you mount the IR emitter directly in front of the camera sensor and exclude exterior light (with Bluetak, black foam etc)

                    PeterM

                    > Great, thanks low-res video is really all we would need...
                    > IR is terribly unreliable. Wonder if the Magic Lantern firmware can do something like that.
                    >
                    > Blochi
                    >

                    > On Mar 9, 2011, at 7:50 PM, panovrx wrote:
                    >

                    > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Christian Bloch <Blochi@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Interesting. So, if that thing also acts as remote control and connects to up to 4 cameras, can you also start/stop video recording with it? Because that's just what I was looking for....
                    > > >
                    > > > Blochi
                    > > >

                    > > I dont think there is any way of using a wireless remote to start the video on a 5D. (Except via a wireless to IR gadget or via a servo lever).
                    > > IR can do it
                    > > http://geekologist.com/blog/2010/05/17/video-remote-control-of-the-5d-mark-ii-7d/
                    > > The video on the Hahnel transmitter/receiver is just the low quality analog video output from the camera -- which is good for nothing except seeing what the camera is looking at -- and your control settings.
                    > >
                    > > PeterM

                  • Robert C. Fisher
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 10, 2011
                      Almost exactly the same, and reliability hasn't been much of an issue
                      as I do place the IR emitters really close (within 1/2 inch) to the
                      cameras. The code i use is an off shoot of this project and it works
                      well. Initially I had reservations about the reliability of IR but
                      after using it for a while it's not the case. Using IR emitters within
                      their range works well. Magic Lantern works well for some things,
                      Trammel wrote some custom code to trigger 5Ds near the Space Shuttle
                      launch pad for our project "TheLastShuttle.com" The code is very
                      useful for our project but may not work for everyone.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
                        now there is an alternative to the Hahnel
                        http://www.aputure.com/en/product/gigtube_instant_digita_screen_visible_remote_control.php

                        this one has a hood and the video quality couldnt be any worse one would think

                        PeterM