Re: [PanoToolsNG] hope this isn't OT

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2 5:40 PM
      On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 10:10:32 +0900, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

      > I shoot panos using NN5, Samyang 8mm and D300. Normally 4 around, 1 90
      > deg for Zenith and 2 90 deg down for Nadir (using NN adapter and moving
      > tripod). Question is, should I pitch lens down or up shooting 4 around?
      > Still having problems stitching Nadir, but it is getting better.
      > Thank you!

      Opinions are divided on this. Because most of my panoramas are taken
      outdoors, where the sky is largely blank, it can be hard to find
      control points that link the zenith shot to the trees or roofs on
      the horizon, so I usually point slightly up, leaving a hole at the
      nadir. The nadir is where the foot of my monopod comes, and it is
      also where the Peleng lens I use tends to produce halation. So I am
      resigned to taking a zenith shot, which eliminates both the hole
      and the halation.

      If I shoot precisely horizontally, the Peleng gives me tiny holes at
      zenith and nadir that can be easily cloned out. But when there is
      halation (and there usually is), it tends to occur at and around
      the nadir, so a nadir shot helps. And it looks like a sizable
      "smear" that is hard to clone out.

      I don't really see the need to take two zenith shots, though.

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com
    • A Kielcz