hope this isn't OT

  • A Kielcz
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
      I shoot panos using NN5, Samyang 8mm and D300. Normally 4 around, 1 90 deg for Zenith and 2 90 deg down for Nadir (using NN adapter and moving tripod). Question is, should I pitch lens down or up shooting 4 around?
      Still having problems stitching Nadir, but it is getting better.
      Thank you!

      A Kielcz

      Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
        You only need to worry about coverage, pitching up or down is only to
        provide image coverage for your sphere, there is no other pro or con.
        If you wish not to shoot a zenith shot and wish your clarity at the zenith,
        you would pitch up. This would eliminate the need for a zenith, however it's
        generally better to shoot the zenith if possible, or if you have an
        automatic pano rotator you use on a pole.
        So if I've contracted myself already, there you have it.
        BTW, I shoot without a pitch for normal shots.

        -s

        On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 8:10 PM, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

        > I shoot panos using NN5, Samyang 8mm and D300. Normally 4 around, 1 90 deg
        > for Zenith and 2 90 deg down for Nadir (using NN adapter and moving tripod).
        > Question is, should I pitch lens down or up shooting 4 around?
        > Still having problems stitching Nadir, but it is getting better.
        > Thank you!
        >
        > A Kielcz
        >
        > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

        Sacha Griffin
        Southern Digital Solutions LLC
        http://www.seeit360.net
        http://www.southern-digital.com
        404-551-4275

      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
          On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 10:10:32 +0900, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

          > I shoot panos using NN5, Samyang 8mm and D300. Normally 4 around, 1 90
          > deg for Zenith and 2 90 deg down for Nadir (using NN adapter and moving
          > tripod). Question is, should I pitch lens down or up shooting 4 around?
          > Still having problems stitching Nadir, but it is getting better.
          > Thank you!

          Opinions are divided on this. Because most of my panoramas are taken
          outdoors, where the sky is largely blank, it can be hard to find
          control points that link the zenith shot to the trees or roofs on
          the horizon, so I usually point slightly up, leaving a hole at the
          nadir. The nadir is where the foot of my monopod comes, and it is
          also where the Peleng lens I use tends to produce halation. So I am
          resigned to taking a zenith shot, which eliminates both the hole
          and the halation.

          If I shoot precisely horizontally, the Peleng gives me tiny holes at
          zenith and nadir that can be easily cloned out. But when there is
          halation (and there usually is), it tends to occur at and around
          the nadir, so a nadir shot helps. And it looks like a sizable
          "smear" that is hard to clone out.

          I don't really see the need to take two zenith shots, though.

          Roger W.

          --
          Work: www.adex-japan.com
        • A Kielcz