Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: 360 video is pushing hard!

  • Jim Watters
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2011
      On 2011-03-01 11:55 AM, Aldo Hoeben wrote:
      >> http://www.blof.nl
      > The camera looks like a Ladybug indeed, but the video quality doesn't. This is
      > seriously some of the best ladybug footage I have seen sofar. How come these
      > guys can get quality video out of these cameras, while google clearly can't
      > (ref: google arts project).

      I was thinking the problem with the Google Arts Project was that the camera was
      set to video mode, but I guess not.
      --

      Jim Watters
      http://photocreations.ca
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2011
        On 2011-03-01 12:31 PM, zakaTo wrote:
        > I guess you all mean the yellow ladybug like camera at yellowbird's front page.
        The yellowbird's carmera does look like a yellow colored Ladybug.

        The Ladybug 3 has 6 2MP cameras connected by FireWire Capturing at (15 FPS JPEG
        compressed 6.5 FPS uncompressed) frames per second. (800Mb/sec). Full
        resolution 2700X5400
        http://www.ptgrey.com/products/ladybug3/Ladybug3_360_video_camera.asp

        The YellowBirdCamera
        6 cameras. double glass-fiber stream at 1200 Mb/sec
        http://www.yellowbirdsdonthavewingsbuttheyflytomakeyouexperiencea3dreality.com/products/technology/camera
        The images are saved uncompressed and stitched later.

        But most of the info I find about YellowBird indicates they are using Ladybug 2
        & 3 cameras.

        I heard rumors of a Ladybug 4 in the works. Could the YellowBirdCamera be the
        beta testing? Or modifying a Ladybug 2 or 3?

        --
        Jim Watters
        http://photocreations.ca
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2011
          My guess is that they've had ot grey build them a custom rig, that just happens to fit in the ladybug 2 enclosure.
        • GTG Vierstra
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2011
            My guess is that their showreel was shot with a Ladybug 2, and the
            Blof recording was a Ladybug 3.

            The Blof video is 2048x1024 at 16fps, close enough to a Ladybug 3.
            Ladybug 2 supposed to give max 1024x768 at 30fps.

            No resizing here..

            **thinks about bluefish, the fish that sees all in the sea, or
            blackswan, or bluefly or...**

            On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 18:52, Aldo Hoeben <aldo@...> wrote:
            > My guess is that they've had ot grey build them a custom rig, that just happens to fit in the ladybug 2 enclosure.

            --
            best regards,

            G.T.G. Vierstra
          • Thomas
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2011

              > > And the camera in their setup looks like a Ladybug 2......
              >
              > The camera looks like a Ladybug indeed, but the video quality doesn't. This is seriously some of the best ladybug footage I have seen sofar. How come these guys can get quality video out of these cameras, while google clearly can't (ref: google arts project).

              There is not yet, so far a I know, a commercial array camera made of GoPro Heros, but there will be soon, and I predict it will blow the Ladybug away.

              BTW if you look up near the ceiling on the Blof video, you will see stitching artefacts that suggest 8 cameras around, or more.

              Cheers, Tom
            • GTG Vierstra
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2011
                On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 00:20, Thomas <TKSharpless@...> wrote:

                > BTW if you look up near the ceiling on the Blof video, you will see stitching artefacts that suggest 8 cameras around, or more.

                No, there are 5x1 camera's, If you look at bit at the xml, you can
                find the movie itself. (and grab a frame, throw it on krpano :)

                --
                best regards,

                G.T.G. Vierstra
              • zakaTo
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 2, 2011
                  Just to add some more fuel into this fire, I´ve just read at the "new" panoguide forum about this company: www.ttx.co.uk that films (among other things) 360º video.

                  They use ladybug and dodeca (why does dodeca always have to show such a very bad blending?)

                  I have really enjoyend checking their "photo gallery" at the 360º video section where you can see some set ups for the recordings.

                  http://www.ttx.co.uk/gallery/360-spherical-video-systems2/
                  (not sure though if all these pictures are theirs ... some look familiar from the old inmmersive media site ... can't remember though!)

                  regards,

                  Antonio

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, GTG Vierstra <vierstra@...> wrote:

                  > On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 00:20, Thomas <TKSharpless@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > BTW if you look up near the ceiling on the Blof video, you will see stitching artefacts that suggest 8 cameras around, or more.
                  >

                  > No, there are 5x1 camera's, If you look at bit at the xml, you can
                  > find the movie itself. (and grab a frame, throw it on krpano :)
                  >

                  > --
                  > best regards,
                  >
                  > G.T.G. Vierstra

                • GTG Vierstra
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 2, 2011
                    Everyone can get or make a 360 movie cam, and its just time before it
                    becomes affordable for every photo/filmo-grapher. (and higher res).

                    Yellowbird is smart. Actually they invest heavily in creating their
                    name as an interface designer and related tech, and if their
                    programming is as good as their marketing they will even survive 360
                    degree movie krpano.