Re: 360 video is pushing hard!

  • Aldo Hoeben
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2011

      > And the camera in their setup looks like a Ladybug 2......

      The camera looks like a Ladybug indeed, but the video quality doesn't. This is seriously some of the best ladybug footage I have seen sofar. How come these guys can get quality video out of these cameras, while google clearly can't (ref: google arts project).
    • zakaTo
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2011
        I guess you all mean the yellow ladybug like camera at yellowbird's front page. I too agree that the quality, stiching and blending looks really good in this video if it is a ladybug.

        A few weeks back there was this other fantastic 360 video, the one filmed from the helicopter (http://www.nimmobay.com/media/360-video/360-video-nimmo-bay-helicopter-resort) that was shot using six "prosumer grade" cameras (see full info at http://360videoblog.blogspot.com/search?q=nimmo). The stiching and blending of the heli video was for me the best I've seen so far at that time ... much better than that of dodecas or ladybugs ... and I guess the resulting resolution should be more than enough as to record full HD ... processing of the separate images looks quite time consuming though! (I just wonder the 6 camera+lens combo used in this video)

        regards,

        Antonio

        > > And the camera in their setup looks like a Ladybug 2......
        >
        > The camera looks like a Ladybug indeed, but the video quality doesn't. This is seriously some of the best ladybug footage I have seen sofar. How come these guys can get quality video out of these cameras, while google clearly can't (ref: google arts project).

      • GTG Vierstra
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2011
          Actually Yellowbird was involved with the Nimmo thing.

          I guess some clever processing.

          --
          best regards,

          G.T.G. Vierstra
        • Jim Watters
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2011
            On 2011-03-01 11:55 AM, Aldo Hoeben wrote:
            >> http://www.blof.nl
            > The camera looks like a Ladybug indeed, but the video quality doesn't. This is
            > seriously some of the best ladybug footage I have seen sofar. How come these
            > guys can get quality video out of these cameras, while google clearly can't
            > (ref: google arts project).

            I was thinking the problem with the Google Arts Project was that the camera was
            set to video mode, but I guess not.
            --

            Jim Watters
            http://photocreations.ca
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2011
              On 2011-03-01 12:31 PM, zakaTo wrote:
              > I guess you all mean the yellow ladybug like camera at yellowbird's front page.
              The yellowbird's carmera does look like a yellow colored Ladybug.

              The Ladybug 3 has 6 2MP cameras connected by FireWire Capturing at (15 FPS JPEG
              compressed 6.5 FPS uncompressed) frames per second. (800Mb/sec). Full
              resolution 2700X5400
              http://www.ptgrey.com/products/ladybug3/Ladybug3_360_video_camera.asp

              The YellowBirdCamera
              6 cameras. double glass-fiber stream at 1200 Mb/sec
              http://www.yellowbirdsdonthavewingsbuttheyflytomakeyouexperiencea3dreality.com/products/technology/camera
              The images are saved uncompressed and stitched later.

              But most of the info I find about YellowBird indicates they are using Ladybug 2
              & 3 cameras.

              I heard rumors of a Ladybug 4 in the works. Could the YellowBirdCamera be the
              beta testing? Or modifying a Ladybug 2 or 3?

              --
              Jim Watters
              http://photocreations.ca
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2011
                My guess is that they've had ot grey build them a custom rig, that just happens to fit in the ladybug 2 enclosure.
              • GTG Vierstra
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1, 2011
                  My guess is that their showreel was shot with a Ladybug 2, and the
                  Blof recording was a Ladybug 3.

                  The Blof video is 2048x1024 at 16fps, close enough to a Ladybug 3.
                  Ladybug 2 supposed to give max 1024x768 at 30fps.

                  No resizing here..

                  **thinks about bluefish, the fish that sees all in the sea, or
                  blackswan, or bluefly or...**

                  On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 18:52, Aldo Hoeben <aldo@...> wrote:
                  > My guess is that they've had ot grey build them a custom rig, that just happens to fit in the ladybug 2 enclosure.

                  --
                  best regards,

                  G.T.G. Vierstra
                • Thomas
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 1, 2011

                    > > And the camera in their setup looks like a Ladybug 2......
                    >
                    > The camera looks like a Ladybug indeed, but the video quality doesn't. This is seriously some of the best ladybug footage I have seen sofar. How come these guys can get quality video out of these cameras, while google clearly can't (ref: google arts project).

                    There is not yet, so far a I know, a commercial array camera made of GoPro Heros, but there will be soon, and I predict it will blow the Ladybug away.

                    BTW if you look up near the ceiling on the Blof video, you will see stitching artefacts that suggest 8 cameras around, or more.

                    Cheers, Tom
                  • GTG Vierstra
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 1, 2011
                      On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 00:20, Thomas <TKSharpless@...> wrote:

                      > BTW if you look up near the ceiling on the Blof video, you will see stitching artefacts that suggest 8 cameras around, or more.

                      No, there are 5x1 camera's, If you look at bit at the xml, you can
                      find the movie itself. (and grab a frame, throw it on krpano :)

                      --
                      best regards,

                      G.T.G. Vierstra
                    • zakaTo
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 2, 2011
                        Just to add some more fuel into this fire, I´ve just read at the "new" panoguide forum about this company: www.ttx.co.uk that films (among other things) 360º video.

                        They use ladybug and dodeca (why does dodeca always have to show such a very bad blending?)

                        I have really enjoyend checking their "photo gallery" at the 360º video section where you can see some set ups for the recordings.

                        http://www.ttx.co.uk/gallery/360-spherical-video-systems2/
                        (not sure though if all these pictures are theirs ... some look familiar from the old inmmersive media site ... can't remember though!)

                        regards,

                        Antonio

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, GTG Vierstra <vierstra@...> wrote:

                        > On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 00:20, Thomas <TKSharpless@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > BTW if you look up near the ceiling on the Blof video, you will see stitching artefacts that suggest 8 cameras around, or more.
                        >

                        > No, there are 5x1 camera's, If you look at bit at the xml, you can
                        > find the movie itself. (and grab a frame, throw it on krpano :)
                        >

                        > --
                        > best regards,
                        >
                        > G.T.G. Vierstra

                      • GTG Vierstra
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 2, 2011
                          Everyone can get or make a 360 movie cam, and its just time before it
                          becomes affordable for every photo/filmo-grapher. (and higher res).

                          Yellowbird is smart. Actually they invest heavily in creating their
                          name as an interface designer and related tech, and if their
                          programming is as good as their marketing they will even survive 360
                          degree movie krpano.