Projecting panorama on to real life cube face

  • Henry Stuart
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2011
      Hi,

      Does anyone know if it is possible to project a panorama on to three cube faces in an installation? The idea would be that the viewer stands inside the three cube faces and moves the images around them using a tablet/computer. So it gives the feeling of actually being in the image.

      I'm sure I've seen talk of this in the past but just can't find reference to it!

      Many thanks,

      Henry
      http://www.sphericalimages.com
    • zakaTo
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2011
        What I know is that there is this so called "cave" (Have a look at:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_Automatic_Virtual_Environment) that has been used more some years now ... and that could be used in a very basic form as a cubic pano viewer.

        A simplified 3 faces version of it could also be posible. Some years back, the software to run this cave system was (i think) gnu open and you could bravely experiment with it (not an easy task anyway!) ... not sure anymore though as this is quite backgrounded for me these days.

        hope it helps!

        Antonio

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Henry Stuart" <henry@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Does anyone know if it is possible to project a panorama on to three cube faces in an installation? The idea would be that the viewer stands inside the three cube faces and moves the images around them using a tablet/computer. So it gives the feeling of actually being in the image.
        >
        > I'm sure I've seen talk of this in the past but just can't find reference to it!
        >
        > Many thanks,
        >
        > Henry
        > http://www.sphericalimages.com

      • alan_r_cam
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2011
          I've seen a similar technique in Sale, Victoria, Australia. They used an array of projectors in their trainer for Air Traffic Controllers.

          In a mock-up control tower, they could project any airfield, any weather conditions. From memory, they used a mixture of computer generated planes with panoramic photos of runways, background cities, and such.

          -- Alan

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Henry Stuart" <henry@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Does anyone know if it is possible to project a panorama on to three cube faces in an installation? The idea would be that the viewer stands inside the three cube faces and moves the images around them using a tablet/computer.
          >
          > Henry
          > http://www.sphericalimages.com

        • prague
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1 7:06 AM
            you've probably seen this,
            those crafty googlers made one out of lots of large monitors...
            http://www.360cities.net/image/streetview-cave-googleplex :-)
            sorry for the weird stitching. i was the panohead.... on a swivel chair....

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "zakaTo" <avgs@...> wrote:

            > What I know is that there is this so called "cave" (Have a look at:
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_Automatic_Virtual_Environment) that has been used more some years now ... and that could be used in a very basic form as a cubic pano viewer.
            >
            > A simplified 3 faces version of it could also be posible. Some years back, the software to run this cave system was (i think) gnu open and you could bravely experiment with it (not an easy task anyway!) ... not sure anymore though as this is quite backgrounded for me these days.
            >
            > hope it helps!
            >
            > Antonio
            >
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Henry Stuart" <henry@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > Does anyone know if it is possible to project a panorama on to three cube faces in an installation? The idea would be that the viewer stands inside the three cube faces and moves the images around them using a tablet/computer. So it gives the feeling of actually being in the image.
            > >
            > > I'm sure I've seen talk of this in the past but just can't find reference to it!
            > >
            > > Many thanks,
            > >
            > > Henry
            > > http://www.sphericalimages.com

          • Aldo Hoeben
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1 7:52 AM
              > Does anyone know if it is possible to project a panorama on to three
              > cube faces in an installation?

              As Antonio mentioned, a CAVE is what you describe. They even made them with 4 walls and a ceiling, but these turned out to be slightly problematic in the sense that humans apparently need oxygen... In a CAVE there would typically be one "main" viewer/person whose head was being tracked, so the perspective could be corrected for what ever position the viewer was in.

              But why settle for a cube? Cubes are boring ;-). You can project onto nearly everything!
              http://fieldofview.com/projects/lights-pictura

              'do
            • Rolf Brenner
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1 7:56 AM