Bad Quality When Converting to Cubes

  • onezebra1
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2011
      When using Pano2QTVR to convert a TIF image to cubic, I see some loss in the image quality.
      I decided to convert the TIF cubes back to a equirectangular using Pano2QTVR and was surprised at how much quality loss there was.
      Here's a shot of before and after, is this normal? I've done this a few times before but never noticed it this bad.
      http://www.indiavrtours.com/pic/test_0.jpg

      These are crops, both from TIF images and the same size.

      Roger Berry
    • Hans
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 24, 2011
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

        > When using Pano2QTVR to convert a TIF image to cubic, I see some loss in the image quality.
        > I decided to convert the TIF cubes back to a equirectangular using Pano2QTVR and was surprised at how much quality loss there was.
        > Here's a shot of before and after, is this normal? I've done this a few times before but never noticed it this bad.
        > http://www.indiavrtours.com/pic/test_0.jpg
        >
        > These are crops, both from TIF images and the same size.

        You are probably using the default interpolator Mitchell.
        Change to one of the better ones, best is blackman-sinc.
        You have to go to the settings to change.
        Hans
      • Yazan Sboul
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 25, 2011
          Wow! I feel like a moron. I never looked at the settings page. I just selected TiFF and assumed it was lossless. Good observation Zebra!
          Thanks for the tip Hans. Now I'm in the magic settings books, is there any thing else that is set here as a default just to ruin my photography? Should I uncheck the box "dynamic kernal" or leave it on? what about "memory hint"?
          Many Thanks
          Y.S

          To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
          From: hans@...
          Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 00:48:29 +0000
          Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Bad Quality When Converting to Cubes

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 25, 2011
            Thanks Hans
            I also notice that PTGui now has a larger interpolator selection, which is the best when using it?

            Will using Pano2VR do a better job, or does it just have more features?

            Hi Yazan,
            Now that makes 2 of us, I've never looked at the settings either. But in the past I did notice that it wasn't quite as sharp. I had no idea it was this bad when you converted it to cubes and back.

            Roger Berry

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Yazan Sboul <yazansboul@...> wrote:

            > Wow! I feel like a moron. I never looked at the settings page. I just selected TiFF and assumed it was lossless. Good observation Zebra!
            > Thanks for the tip Hans. Now I'm in the magic settings books, is there any thing else that is set here as a default just to ruin my photography? Should I uncheck the box "dynamic kernal" or leave it on? what about "memory hint"?
            > Many Thanks
            > Y.S

          • Hans
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 25, 2011
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Hans
              > I also notice that PTGui now has a larger interpolator selection, which is the best when using it?

              I just use the standard Bicubic Normal. The quality is fine for stitching.
              Using Spline 64 or some of the other higher end interpolator can easy triple the stitching time.

              Hans

              > Will using Pano2VR do a better job, or does it just have more features?
              >
              > Hi Yazan,
              > Now that makes 2 of us, I've never looked at the settings either. But in the past I did notice that it wasn't quite as sharp. I had no idea it was this bad when you converted it to cubes and back.
              >
              > Roger Berry
              >

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Yazan Sboul <yazansboul@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Wow! I feel like a moron. I never looked at the settings page. I just selected TiFF and assumed it was lossless. Good observation Zebra!
              > > Thanks for the tip Hans. Now I'm in the magic settings books, is there any thing else that is set here as a default just to ruin my photography? Should I uncheck the box "dynamic kernal" or leave it on? what about "memory hint"?
              > > Many Thanks
              > > Y.S

            • Yazan Sboul
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 25, 2011
                Hi Hans,
                I'm a bit of a specs geek - not too bad only 16gb ram so far, but As soon as possible I'll upgrade to higher. Not worried at all about stitching time and even if it takes longer the batch stitching option solves that problem.
                Is spline 64 an external plugin?In short I'll like to upgrade ptgui to the max - irregardless of stitching time or decreasing marginal benifits. : )

                A list of plugins, and settings would be much appreciated. I just set the PTGui ram usage to 100% from auto. Was that a bad idea? would it potentially cause a crash?
                Many ThanksY.S
                To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                From: hans@...
                Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 12:29:36 +0000

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Hans

                > I also notice that PTGui now has a larger interpolator selection, which is the best when using it?

                I just use the standard Bicubic Normal. The quality is fine for stitching.

                Using Spline 64 or some of the other higher end interpolator can easy triple the stitching time.

                Hans

                > Will using Pano2VR do a better job, or does it just have more features?

                > Hi Yazan,

                > Now that makes 2 of us, I've never looked at the settings either. But in the past I did notice that it wasn't quite as sharp. I had no idea it was this bad when you converted it to cubes and back.

                > Roger Berry

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Yazan Sboul <yazansboul@> wrote:

                > > Wow! I feel like a moron. I never looked at the settings page. I just selected TiFF and assumed it was lossless. Good observation Zebra!

                > > Thanks for the tip Hans. Now I'm in the magic settings books, is there any thing else that is set here as a default just to ruin my photography? Should I uncheck the box "dynamic kernal" or leave it on? what about "memory hint"?

                > > Many Thanks

                > > Y.S

              • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 25, 2011
                  Hi Yazan,

                  On 25-2-2011 17:16, Yazan Sboul wrote:

                  > Hi Hans, I'm a bit of a specs geek - not too bad only 16gb ram so
                  > far, but As soon as possible I'll upgrade to higher. Not worried at
                  > all about stitching time and even if it takes longer the batch
                  > stitching option solves that problem. Is spline 64 an external
                  > plugin?

                  No, all interpolators are built in. Which interpolator is the best is a
                  matter of personal preference. The larger interpolators create less
                  jagged lines but may cause stronger 'halos' around high contrast areas,
                  or even ringing (like repeated halos). Just try and see which works best
                  for a given panorama.

                  > In short I'll like to upgrade ptgui to the max - irregardless
                  > of stitching time or decreasing marginal benifits. : )
                  >
                  > A list of plugins, and settings would be much appreciated. I just set
                  > the PTGui ram usage to 100% from auto. Was that a bad idea? would it
                  > potentially cause a crash? Many ThanksY.S To:

                  That's a bad idea. You are asking PTGui to consume all your memory,
                  leaving none for other running applications. This can completely bring
                  down your computer during stitching. If you have 16 GB set it to 80% or
                  so. Be sure not to run other RAM hungry applications (like Photoshop)
                  during stitching, or use an ever lower percentage.

                  Joost