Pu'u O'o volcano stitched pano

  • Don Bain
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23, 2011
      The US Geological Survey has a webcam on the edge of the actively erupting volcano Pu'u O'o, a vent on the east rift zone of Kilauea on the Big Island of Hawaii. Lava is flowing from here to the ocean near Kalapana, about 15 km away.

      The webcam:
      http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/cams/POcam/

      It captures a composite of eight photos, in color at night. Not the greatest job of stitching, but what a subject! That is molten lava down there.

      A previous webcam fell into the crater last summer and was replaced. The public is not allowed near the rim, but it is (usually) possible to hike to within view of the cone. There is also activity at Halema'uma'u, which is the main visitor area in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.

      I am leaving for Hawaii tomorrow morning. My project is to document the island in VR, as I have done other places, and not specifically the volcano. But with some luck I may get a few good shots. Or die trying...

      Don
    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 23, 2011
        Go get it !!!
        Sucess my friend

        Cheers
        AYRTON

        On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:22 PM, Don Bain <dbain@...>wrote:

        > The US Geological Survey has a webcam on the edge of the actively erupting
        > volcano Pu'u O'o, a vent on the east rift zone of Kilauea on the Big Island
        > of Hawaii. Lava is flowing from here to the ocean near Kalapana, about 15 km
        > away.
        >
        > The webcam:
        > http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/cams/POcam/
        >
        > It captures a composite of eight photos, in color at night. Not the
        > greatest job of stitching, but what a subject! That is molten lava down
        > there.
        >
        > A previous webcam fell into the crater last summer and was replaced. The
        > public is not allowed near the rim, but it is (usually) possible to hike to
        > within view of the cone. There is also activity at Halema'uma'u, which is
        > the main visitor area in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
        >
        > I am leaving for Hawaii tomorrow morning. My project is to document the
        > island in VR, as I have done other places, and not specifically the volcano.
        > But with some luck I may get a few good shots. Or die trying...
        >
        > Don

        + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
        + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
        http://ayrton360.com