A better lens for the 5Dmk2

  • GTG Vierstra
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 22, 2011
      Hi Listers,

      Have been a little experimenting.

      Compared the 15mm Sigma (6x1) with the Zeiss 18mm 3.5
      (8x-30deg+8x+45deg (tight at zenith)) and not really surprising, even
      when both stitched at 8000x4000 the Zeiss is better.

      Zeiss 18mm gives about 18000x9000, Sigma 15mm 14000x7000

      Zeiss is horribly expensive, already own the Sigma.

      What other lens could I use that makes things sharper, without taking
      too many pictures?

      T.I.A. ,

      --
      best regards,

      G.T.G. Vierstra
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 22, 2011
        Am 22.02.2011 23:55, schrieb GTG Vierstra:
        > What other lens could I use that makes things sharper, without taking
        > too many pictures?

        Eventually:

        http://tinyurl.com/6ft8bfc
        (short for
        http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Web_Gallery_&_Tests/Samyang%2014mm/Pano_with_8_shots_only.html
        )

      • Blake Michaelson
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 22, 2011
          I've been pretty pleased with my 16mm Zenitar...

          On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

          > Am 22.02.2011 23:55, schrieb GTG Vierstra:
          > > What other lens could I use that makes things sharper, without taking
          > > too many pictures?
          >
          > Eventually:
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/6ft8bfc
          > (short for
          >
          > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Web_Gallery_&_Tests/Samyang%2014mm/Pano_with_8_shots_only.html
          > )
          >
          > --
          > Erik Krause
          > http://www.erik-krause.de

        • GTG Vierstra
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 22, 2011
            Hi Blake,

            Looks good, especially at F16....

            http://www.kenrockwell.com/zenit/zenitar-16mm.htm

            On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 00:13, Blake Michaelson
            <blake.michaelson@...> wrote:
            > I've been pretty pleased with my 16mm Zenitar...
            >
            > On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Am 22.02.2011 23:55, schrieb GTG Vierstra:
            >> > What other lens could I use that makes things sharper, without taking
            >> > too many pictures?
            >>
            >> Eventually:
            >>
            >> http://tinyurl.com/6ft8bfc
            >> (short for
            >>
            >> http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Web_Gallery_&_Tests/Samyang%2014mm/Pano_with_8_shots_only.html
            >> )
            >>
            >> --
            >> Erik Krause
            >> http://www.erik-krause.de
            >>

            >> ------------------------------------
            >>
            >> --

            best regards,

            G.T.G. Vierstra
          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 22, 2011
              On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 08:19:51 +0900, GTG Vierstra <vierstra@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi Blake,
              >
              > Looks good, especially at F16....
              >
              > http://www.kenrockwell.com/zenit/zenitar-16mm.htm

              I think Ken Rockwell must have been unlucky with the Zenit he
              borrowed for his test, as mine certainly didn't need to be
              stopped down to f/16 to produce sharp images. It definitely
              did not provide "free soft-focus effect at f/2.8." I usually
              tried not to go below f/5.6 but since I have a tremor in my
              hands I was sometimes forced to use f/2.8 and found that a
              better option than a slower shutter speed. Quite acceptable
              at a pinch.

              Of course that is one of the problems with former SU lenses.
              Quality control was not high enough to prevent the occasional
              duds from being sold. My Peleng is such an outstanding
              performer that I still use it with an M42 mount and adaptor
              on my Pentax K-x.

              Roger W.

              --
              Work: www.adex-japan.com
            • jrgen_schrader
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 22, 2011
                Canon 15 mm.

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, GTG Vierstra <vierstra@...> wrote:

                > Hi Listers,
                >
                > Have been a little experimenting.
                >
                > Compared the 15mm Sigma (6x1) with the Zeiss 18mm 3.5
                > (8x-30deg+8x+45deg (tight at zenith)) and not really surprising, even
                > when both stitched at 8000x4000 the Zeiss is better.
                >
                > Zeiss 18mm gives about 18000x9000, Sigma 15mm 14000x7000
                >
                > Zeiss is horribly expensive, already own the Sigma.
                >
                > What other lens could I use that makes things sharper, without taking
                > too many pictures?
                >
                > T.I.A. ,
                >
                > --
                > best regards,
                >
                > G.T.G. Vierstra

              • 1drey
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 23, 2011
                  Hi,

                  I just finished a stitching of spherical pano from 6+2 source images (0-90
                  degrees) shot with 5DMkII + Sigma 12-24/4-5,6 (old version). The overlap was
                  not huge, but sufficient for easy blending. The resulting pano was
                  12000*6000px - clear and sharp.
                  Can't share it, sorry - a pano was shot in.. er... personal space :)
                  Guess new version of this lens will produce even better output.

                  Not sure if the difference in pixel quality between two carefully processed
                  panoramas - one shot with a good fisheye and another shot with an ultra wide
                  rectilinear lens - will be visible for average user.

                  But I can imagine situations when the workflow with a rectilinear lens will
                  be more convenient. Like when you shoot in the room with plenty of
                  reflective surfaces, for example.

                  Cheers,
                  Andrey
                • GTG Vierstra
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 23, 2011
                    Hi Andrey,

                    I have the 12-24 Sigma, (and Tokina 10-17 and 8mm Sigma)

                    My 12-24 is less sharp than all the Canon's (or Tokina) I have, and on
                    FF the corners are very bad.

                    I did a 6+2 once, but it had no advantage compared to the 15mm imho.

                    I also doubt if the Canon 15mm is much better than the Sigma....

                    Also had the Carl Zeiss Distagon 16mm, same as 15mm Sigma....

                    On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 13:20, 1drey <ilyin1drey@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I just finished a stitching of spherical pano from 6+2 source images (0-90
                    > degrees) shot with 5DMkII + Sigma 12-24/4-5,6 (old version). The overlap was
                    > not huge, but sufficient for easy blending. The resulting pano was
                    > 12000*6000px - clear and sharp.
                    > Can't share it, sorry - a pano was shot in.. er... personal space :)
                    > Guess new version of this lens will produce even better output.
                    >
                    > Not sure if the difference in pixel quality between two carefully processed
                    > panoramas - one shot with a good fisheye and another shot with an ultra wide
                    > rectilinear lens -  will be visible for average user.
                    >
                    > But I can imagine situations when the workflow with a rectilinear lens will
                    > be more convenient. Like when you shoot in the room with plenty of
                    > reflective surfaces, for example.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Andrey

                    best regards,

                    G.T.G. Vierstra
                  • Ian Wood
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 23, 2011
                      The Canon is noticeably sharper than the Sigma with slightly better contrast/flare as well.

                      Ian

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 23, 2011
                        Ok, will try it out.

                        (advantage of working in a camera store)

                        On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 14:41, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:
                        > The Canon is noticeably sharper than the Sigma with slightly better contrast/flare as well.
                        >
                        > Ian
                        >
                        > On 23 Feb 2011, at 12:53, GTG Vierstra wrote:
                        >
                        >> I also doubt if the Canon 15mm is much better than the Sigma....

                        best regards,

                        G.T.G. Vierstra
                      • Rodolpho Pajuaba
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 23, 2011
                          A friend of mine just compared my 16mm Zenitar with his 15mm Canon,
                          and his opinion was that, after f:5.6, they are VERY similar, in terms
                          of sharpness. Can't say about flare, thou.

                          2011/2/23 GTG Vierstra <vierstra@...>:
                          > Ok, will try it out.
                          >
                          > (advantage of working in a camera store)
                          >
                          > On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 14:41, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:
                          >> The Canon is noticeably sharper than the Sigma with slightly better contrast/flare as well.
                          >>
                          >> Ian

                          Regards,
                          --
                          Rodolpho Pajuaba
                          www.pajuaba.com.br/heterose
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 23, 2011
                            Dying to see an extensive test of announced Canon's fisheye zoom.
                            Preferably by Thoby :)
                          • GTG Vierstra
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 23, 2011
                              As soon as I have it, I will put up some raws to download.

                              On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 17:05, 1drey <ilyin1drey@...> wrote:

                              > Dying to see an extensive test of announced Canon's fisheye zoom.
                              > Preferably by Thoby :)

                              best regards,

                              G.T.G. Vierstra
                            • 1drey
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 23, 2011
                                Hi Bert,

                                Agreed with your observation regarding quality of images produced by 12-24 -
                                I planned to use it for 'normal' photography (interiors), but abandoned this
                                idea after discovering few soft areas which (interestingly!) didn't improve
                                even with stopping the aperture down.

                                Regards,
                                Andrey

                              • GTG Vierstra
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 23, 2011
                                  At least the vignetting goes down.

                                  I used it on my 350d, was fine "then".

                                  But sometime ago I used it with a 5d, stopped down a lot and on a
                                  tripod lot to take pictures of small rooms, just for the web.

                                  Good enough after a bit of photoshopping.

                                  On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 18:36, 1drey <ilyin1drey@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Bert,
                                  >
                                  > Agreed with your observation regarding quality of images produced by 12-24 -
                                  > I planned to use it for 'normal' photography (interiors), but abandoned this
                                  > idea after discovering few soft areas which (interestingly!) didn't improve
                                  > even with stopping the aperture down.
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  > Andrey

                                  best regards,

                                  G.T.G. Vierstra
                                • Hans
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 23, 2011
                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, 1drey <ilyin1drey@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Bert,
                                    >
                                    > Agreed with your observation regarding quality of images produced by 12-24 -
                                    > I planned to use it for 'normal' photography (interiors), but abandoned this
                                    > idea after discovering few soft areas which (interestingly!) didn't improve
                                    > even with stopping the aperture down.

                                    Actually the Sigma 12-24 is supersharp but as almost all wideangles I have tried it suffers from bad focusing at corners.
                                    Or lets say the focusplane is not plain.

                                    The result is that if you focus for best DOF you get very unsharp corners.

                                    After having used the 12-24 for 8 years I discovered it by testing the Sigma 14mm for doing 2 rows panoramas and as that included the corners at the horisont I found that it needed to be focused at infinity to get sharp corners.

                                    Here are the upper left corner from a 5D MarkII with the Sigma $12-24 at 12.
                                    Focused at 1.5m for best DOF
                                    http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/dof/sigma12-24-2.jpg
                                    and focused at infinity
                                    http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/dof/sigma12-24-1.jpg

                                    Both are sharp at center at least from 1 m.

                                    Hans

                                    > Regards,
                                    > Andrey

                                  • GTG Vierstra
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 23, 2011
                                      On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 20:40, Hans <hans@...> wrote:

                                      > After having used the 12-24 for 8 years I discovered it by testing the Sigma 14mm for doing 2 rows panoramas  and as that included the corners at the horisont  I found that it needed to be focused at infinity to get sharp corners.

                                      Oh... Will try that..... thanks.

                                      --
                                      best regards,

                                      G.T.G. Vierstra