Working in rooms with mirrors

  • Blake Michaelson
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 21, 2011
      Anybody got any secrets they'd like to share about how they keep themselves
      and their gear out of reflections - i.e. shooting in a bathroom with a full
      mirrored wall, highly reflective floor to ceiling windows, etc...

      Obviously one can avoid, or position themselves in an optimal position to
      keep themselves out of the shot, but what if you REALLY wanted to get a view
      from particular vantage, and there are mirrors reflecting your gear...

      For example, I remember a user here once commented that they shoot the nadir
      first in outdoors shots, to avoid destroying the grass under their feet when
      they shoot the rest of the pano - that was GREAT advice - basically just
      wondering if there is something similar - i.e. "don't forget to take a shot
      of XYZ first... so you can perspective blend it later..."

      Any tips are greatly appreciated!

    • robert
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 21, 2011
        <blake.michaelson@...> wrote:

        > Anybody got any secrets they'd like to share about how they keep themselves
        > and their gear out of reflections - i.e. shooting in a bathroom with a full
        > mirrored wall, highly reflective floor to ceiling windows, etc...

        There is really no way to shoot in a mirrored room without ultimately using post image editing to get rid of the reflection.

        Obviously using a timer and removing yourself from the shot will make the task easier as will trying to find a spot where what you have to replace is a simple plain or structure that's easy to clone or edit. It's easy to get rid of reflections, it's hard to replace what should be there :)

        With windows, and most reflective items short of in focus mirrors if you can control what is being reflected in it, you can fix it in camera. But often this solution is more time consuming and takes more time/effort than cloning or other approaches in post production.

        Since I'm assuming your shooting 360's, make sure you get a shot of what should be reflected, copying this and pasting it into the mirror can work easily as can shooting slight off angle shots of the mirror or floor/window.

        But, there really is no completely in camera solution, it's a simple matter of optics. It's impossibile to shoot a mirror ball without being in it. Sure you can move yourself to the edge if you've got a shift lens or technical camera but you're still in in the image.

        Every room will have it's issues and perhaps best solution, if you're being paid for the shoot, don't forget to charge for your extra time and try to avoid at all cost the nightmare of being between two or more parallel mirrors. :)

        Regards,

        Robert
      • Ned Chiariello
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 21, 2011
          I took this one using a time delay http://homepage.mac.com/panophoto/Gallery/Flash66/Pano.html and some photoshop editing but what your talking about would be even more difficult. I also would be interested in hearing any suggestions. The how the hell did they do that panoramas are the most fun to do and view.

          On Feb 21, 2011, at 8:14 PM, Blake Michaelson wrote:

          > Anybody got any secrets they'd like to share about how they keep themselves
          > and their gear out of reflections - i.e. shooting in a bathroom with a full
          > mirrored wall, highly reflective floor to ceiling windows, etc...
          >
          > Obviously one can avoid, or position themselves in an optimal position to
          > keep themselves out of the shot, but what if you REALLY wanted to get a view
          > from particular vantage, and there are mirrors reflecting your gear...
          >
          > For example, I remember a user here once commented that they shoot the nadir
          > first in outdoors shots, to avoid destroying the grass under their feet when
          > they shoot the rest of the pano - that was GREAT advice - basically just
          > wondering if there is something similar - i.e. "don't forget to take a shot
          > of XYZ first... so you can perspective blend it later..."
          >
          > Any tips are greatly appreciated!

        • AYRTON
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 21, 2011
            Guys
            On mirror panos ...
            nothing beats Eric Rougier on this matter
            ;-)))

            <http://www.fromparis.com/panoramas_quicktime_vr/mirror_and_reflexions/>

            Just amazing !
            He's The Guy for mirrors

            best
            AYRTON

            On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 1:41 AM, Ned Chiariello <panophoto@...> wrote:

            > I took this one using a time delay
            > http://homepage.mac.com/panophoto/Gallery/Flash66/Pano.html and some
            > photoshop editing but what your talking about would be even more difficult.
            > I also would be interested in hearing any suggestions. The how the hell did
            > they do that panoramas are the most fun to do and view.
            >
            > On Feb 21, 2011, at 8:14 PM, Blake Michaelson wrote:
            >
            > > Anybody got any secrets they'd like to share about how they keep
            > themselves
            > > and their gear out of reflections - i.e. shooting in a bathroom with a
            > full
            > > mirrored wall, highly reflective floor to ceiling windows, etc...
            > >
            > > Obviously one can avoid, or position themselves in an optimal position to
            > > keep themselves out of the shot, but what if you REALLY wanted to get a
            > view
            > > from particular vantage, and there are mirrors reflecting your gear...
            > >
            > > For example, I remember a user here once commented that they shoot the
            > nadir
            > > first in outdoors shots, to avoid destroying the grass under their feet
            > when
            > > they shoot the rest of the pano - that was GREAT advice - basically just
            > > wondering if there is something similar - i.e. "don't forget to take a
            > shot
            > > of XYZ first... so you can perspective blend it later..."
            > >
            > > Any tips are greatly appreciated!

            + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
            + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
            http://ayrton360.com
            twitter.com/ayrton360

          • AYRTON
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 21, 2011
              Just in case, there's still doubts ...
              one more to look at
              rsssss

              <http://www.fromparis.com/panoramas_quicktime_vr/boring_bathroom/>

              best
              AYRTON

              --

              + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
              + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP

            • Blake Michaelson
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 21, 2011
                A - You're right, what fantastic samples, certainly a benchmark for mirrors!
                So, did Eric have any info on how he created this?

                On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 8:50 PM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:

                > Just in case, there's still doubts ...
                > one more to look at
                > rsssss
                >
                > <http://www.fromparis.com/panoramas_quicktime_vr/boring_bathroom/>
                >
                > best
                > AYRTON
                >

                > On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 1:47 AM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Guys
                > > On mirror panos ...
                > > nothing beats Eric Rougier on this matter
                > > ;-)))
                > >
                > > <http://www.fromparis.com/panoramas_quicktime_vr/mirror_and_reflexions/>
                > >
                > > Just amazing !
                > > He's The Guy for mirrors
                > >
                > > best
                > > AYRTON
                > >

                > > On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 1:41 AM, Ned Chiariello <panophoto@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > >> I took this one using a time delay
                > >> http://homepage.mac.com/panophoto/Gallery/Flash66/Pano.html and some
                > >> photoshop editing but what your talking about would be even more
                > difficult.
                > >> I also would be interested in hearing any suggestions. The how the hell
                > did
                > >> they do that panoramas are the most fun to do and view.

                > >> themselves
                > >> full

                > >> view

                > >> nadir
                > feet
                > >> when
                > just
                > >> shot

                > >> --
                > >>

                > > --
                > >
                > > + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                > > + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                > > http://ayrton360.com
                > > twitter.com/ayrton360
                > >

                > --
                >
                > + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                > + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                > http://ayrton360.com
                > twitter.com/ayrton360

              • panovrx
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 21, 2011
                  If the room is dark you can minimize the visual impact of the reflections of the camera support by using a black painted pole as the support -- on a heavy base -- (and a remote control).
                  http://www.mediavr.com/infinityroom2.htm
                  .. easier than a tripod to retouch out too if necessary

                  In simple cases, like this barber shop, it helps for retouching to position the tripod so the reflection shows the camera against a plain static background
                  http://www.mediavr.com/mammalian.htm

                  PeterM

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Blake Michaelson <blake.michaelson@...> wrote:

                  > A - You're right, what fantastic samples, certainly a benchmark for mirrors!
                  > So, did Eric have any info on how he created this?
                  >
                  > On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 8:50 PM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Just in case, there's still doubts ...
                  > > one more to look at
                  > > rsssss
                  > >
                  > > <http://www.fromparis.com/panoramas_quicktime_vr/boring_bathroom/>
                  > >
                  > > best
                  > > AYRTON
                  > >

                  > > On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 1:47 AM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Guys
                  > > > On mirror panos ...
                  > > > nothing beats Eric Rougier on this matter
                  > > > ;-)))
                  > > >
                  > > > <http://www.fromparis.com/panoramas_quicktime_vr/mirror_and_reflexions/>
                  > > >
                  > > > Just amazing !
                  > > > He's The Guy for mirrors
                  > > >
                  > > > best
                  > > > AYRTON

                  > > difficult.
                  > > did

                  > > feet
                  > > just

                  > > > --
                  > > >
                  > > > + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                  > > > + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                  > > > http://ayrton360.com
                  > > > twitter.com/ayrton360
                  > > >

                  > > --
                  > >
                  > > + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                  > > + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                  > > http://ayrton360.com
                  > > twitter.com/ayrton360

                • rcgillespie
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 22, 2011
                    Blake:

                    This came to mind when I read your post.

                  • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 22, 2011
                      Hi Blake!

                      Anybody got any secrets they'd like to share about how they keep themselves
                      > and their gear out of reflections - i.e. shooting in a bathroom with a full
                      > mirrored wall, highly reflective floor to ceiling windows, etc...
                      >
                      > Definitely, use a remote control and try to place your camera and tripod in
                      a place easy to retouch.
                      If available, use a vampire.

                      --
                      L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
                      felipe@...

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 22, 2011
                        Am 22.02.2011 04:14, schrieb Blake Michaelson:
                        > Anybody got any secrets they'd like to share about how they keep themselves
                        > and their gear out of reflections - i.e. shooting in a bathroom with a full
                        > mirrored wall, highly reflective floor to ceiling windows, etc...

                        Well, it shouldn't be very different from removing the tripod in the
                        nadir shot if there is a flat surface: use viewpoint correction. Move
                        the tripod a bit sidewards and shoot the mirror again. Obviously this
                        will work only if the surface which is reflected behind the tripod is
                        perfectly flat.

                        Another way would be to take the missing part from the opposite wall
                        (from where it is reflected) and flip it horizontally. In this case
                        viewpoint correction might work, too. But take care: a reflection in a
                        mirror is always darker than the original.

                      • Sacha Griffin
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 22, 2011
                          Well, then you also have to correct for the exposure if you try to
                          duplicate the reflection.
                          Using VP correction is the way to go if you don't want to do any
                          photoshop. It's quicker and it generally looks a whole lot better.
                          I've shot in front of dozens of mirrors and windows and there's no
                          trace of how the shot was done. Usually, the tripod reflection is
                          pretty small, ptgui's live masking blender makes this a cinch.

                          -s

                          On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:
                          > Am 22.02.2011 04:14, schrieb Blake Michaelson:
                          >> Anybody got any secrets they'd like to share about how they keep themselves
                          >> and their gear out of reflections - i.e. shooting in a bathroom with a full
                          >> mirrored wall, highly reflective floor to ceiling windows, etc...
                          >
                          > Well, it shouldn't be very different from removing the tripod in the
                          > nadir shot if there is a flat surface: use viewpoint correction. Move
                          > the tripod a bit sidewards and shoot the mirror again. Obviously this
                          > will work only if the surface which is reflected behind the tripod is
                          > perfectly flat.
                          >
                          > Another way would be to take the missing part from the opposite wall
                          > (from where it is reflected) and flip it horizontally. In this case
                          > viewpoint correction might work, too. But take care: a reflection in a
                          > mirror is always darker than the original.
                          >
                          > --
                          > Erik Krause
                          > http://www.erik-krause.de

                          Sacha Griffin
                          Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                          http://www.seeit360.net
                          http://www.southern-digital.com
                          404-551-4275
                        • enridp
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 22, 2011
                            And if you can't hire a vampire (they are really expensive and only works at night), you can use something like this:
                            http://science.howstuffworks.com/invisibility-cloak.htm

                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, L.D.I. Felipe B. González <felipe@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Blake!
                            >
                            > Anybody got any secrets they'd like to share about how they keep themselves
                            > > and their gear out of reflections - i.e. shooting in a bathroom with a full
                            > > mirrored wall, highly reflective floor to ceiling windows, etc...
                            > >
                            > > Definitely, use a remote control and try to place your camera and tripod in
                            > a place easy to retouch.
                            > If available, use a vampire.
                            >

                            > --
                            > L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.