Re: [FPP] Ground Zero -- Madison, Wisconsin

  • AYRTON
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 21, 2011
      TERRIFIC

      Scott, this is cool my friend

      Congratzs
      AYRTON

      On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Scott Witte <scottw@...> wrote:

      > Some of you may have heard about the protests in Madison, Wisconsin at the
      > state capitol. The Republican plan to destroy public unions isn't going over
      > very well with said unions or Democrats in general. The number of protesters
      > grows daily. Saturday saw some 70,000. Based on all the right and left wing
      > commentators as well a world wide news coverage, this is becoming a
      > significant point in American history.
      >
      > Thing is, all the photos, video and news stories can't give a* feeling*for what it is like to be there at this "turning point in history." So I
      > decided to create some 360VR images that do. Enjoy.
      >
      > Ground Zero -- Madison <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/madison_protest/>
      >
      > --
      > Scott Witte
      >
      > <http://www.scottwitte.com>
      > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
      > 414.345.9660
      > Member, IVRPA

      + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
      + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
      http://ayrton360.com
      twitter.com/ayrton360

    • Paul Fretheim
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 22, 2011
        This is a great example of how VR imaging can be a very powerful tool
        for photojournalism.

        Those people who said there was no place for this on our list are just
        plain wrong. F--- them and if you or anyone else records a similar scene
        do not be intimidated please.

        True VR photographers and artists understand the importance and quality
        of your work. Please continue to post. The endless loop of "We are
        Wisconsin" is one of the best uses of sound with a pano I have ever
        seen, and I have been a professional VR photographer since Apple
        introduced the technology in 1994.

        Again, those of you who complain about the content and whether or not
        you agree with it are just not getting the point. If you have a
        differing point of view politically that has nothing to do with this
        example of VR photography as photojournalism.

        So shut up! Please.

        Paul Fretheim
      • Rick Drew
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 22, 2011
          The VR sample was fine. The description was biased and inflammatory. A true
          photojournalist lets his photography send the message. He does not
          prostulatize or attempt to sway the viewer. That is not photojournalism -
          it's playing politics and does not belong here. Post the pano - keep the
          politically motivated comments.

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 22, 2011
            Paul,

            Thanks for the compliments. I certainly agree that VR can add much to
            the understanding of the event.

            Actually I take Rick's point to a degree, and appreciate it. As a result
            I have changed the text on my page and made clear (I hope) that this is
            largely the viewpoint held by the protesters and that I am trying to
            explain the reason for their passion. That is especially important for
            those less familiar with the issues and I believe it helps inform the VR
            experience for everyone. It is not intended as an entirely balanced
            exploration of the issues.

            Rick -- You took issue with "Ground Zero." If you Google "Wisconsin
            Ground Zero" you will find it is being used everywhere across mainstream
            media and plenty of blogs. I think it is a cool headline that accurately
            describes the national perception of what is happening in Madison
            whether from a liberal, conservative or neutral perspective. I really
            see no problem with it.

            You also objected to "destroy." While it accurately conveys what many of
            the protesters believed and my Tea Party relatives would have little
            quarrel with it, nonetheless it does carry baggage. I think if you read
            the text in its current form you would have less objection from the
            perspective of explaining what is driving the protesters. Certainly I
            wouldn't expect you to agree with their position. But that isn't the
            purpose.

            Scott

            On 2/22/2011 5:30 PM, Paul Fretheim wrote:
            > This is a great example of how VR imaging can be a very powerful tool
            > for photojournalism.
            >
            > Those people who said there was no place for this on our list are just
            > plain wrong. F--- them and if you or anyone else records a similar scene
            > do not be intimidated please.
            >
            > True VR photographers and artists understand the importance and quality
            > of your work. Please continue to post. The endless loop of "We are
            > Wisconsin" is one of the best uses of sound with a pano I have ever
            > seen, and I have been a professional VR photographer since Apple
            > introduced the technology in 1994.
            >
            > Again, those of you who complain about the content and whether or not
            > you agree with it are just not getting the point. If you have a
            > differing point of view politically that has nothing to do with this
            > example of VR photography as photojournalism.
            >
            > So shut up! Please.
            >
            > Paul Fretheim

            Scott Witte

            <http://www.scottwitte.com>

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 23, 2011
              > Rick -- You took issue with "Ground Zero." If you Google "Wisconsin
              > Ground Zero" you will find it is being used everywhere across mainstream
              > media and plenty of blogs. I think it is a cool headline that accurately
              > describes the national perception of what is happening in Madison
              > whether from a liberal, conservative or neutral perspective. I really
              > see no problem with it.
              >
              > You also objected to "destroy." While it accurately conveys what many of
              > the protesters believed and my Tea Party relatives would have little
              > quarrel with it, nonetheless it does carry baggage. I think if you read
              > the text in its current form you would have less objection from the
              > perspective of explaining what is driving the protesters. Certainly I
              > wouldn't expect you to agree with their position. But that isn't the

              Amy Goodman, host of Democracy Now! from Pacifica Radio was on a panel
              discussion on media hosted by Al Jazeera English in New York recently.
              Someone referred to the corporate media as the "mainstream media" as you
              did here. Amy remarked, "I don't agree with the idea of referring to the
              corporate media as the mainstream media. I don't believe that the
              corporate media really represents the mainstream of thinking her in the
              United States.

              "We don't have State Media here in the U.S., but I challenge you to
              explain to me how State Media would differ from the corporate media we
              do have if we did have State Media of the propaganda sort found in
              places like Mubarak's Egypt."

              I found her comments very insightful.

              Paul Fretheim
            • huckrorick
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 23, 2011
                Terrific experience. Beautiful work. Shows what VR can do. Really gives the experience of that place and event. Technically impressive. I will use it a an example when communicating with others about VR panoramas.

                Huck

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Witte <scottw@...> wrote:

                > Paul,
                >
                > Thanks for the compliments. I certainly agree that VR can add much to
                > the understanding of the event.
                >
                > Actually I take Rick's point to a degree, and appreciate it. As a result
                > I have changed the text on my page and made clear (I hope) that this is
                > largely the viewpoint held by the protesters and that I am trying to
                > explain the reason for their passion. That is especially important for
                > those less familiar with the issues and I believe it helps inform the VR
                > experience for everyone. It is not intended as an entirely balanced
                > exploration of the issues.
                >
                > Rick -- You took issue with "Ground Zero." If you Google "Wisconsin
                > Ground Zero" you will find it is being used everywhere across mainstream
                > media and plenty of blogs. I think it is a cool headline that accurately
                > describes the national perception of what is happening in Madison
                > whether from a liberal, conservative or neutral perspective. I really
                > see no problem with it.
                >
                > You also objected to "destroy." While it accurately conveys what many of
                > the protesters believed and my Tea Party relatives would have little
                > quarrel with it, nonetheless it does carry baggage. I think if you read
                > the text in its current form you would have less objection from the
                > perspective of explaining what is driving the protesters. Certainly I
                > wouldn't expect you to agree with their position. But that isn't the
                > purpose.
                >
                > Scott
                >

                > On 2/22/2011 5:30 PM, Paul Fretheim wrote:
                > > This is a great example of how VR imaging can be a very powerful tool
                > > for photojournalism.
                > >
                > > Those people who said there was no place for this on our list are just
                > > plain wrong. F--- them and if you or anyone else records a similar scene
                > > do not be intimidated please.
                > >
                > > True VR photographers and artists understand the importance and quality
                > > of your work. Please continue to post. The endless loop of "We are
                > > Wisconsin" is one of the best uses of sound with a pano I have ever
                > > seen, and I have been a professional VR photographer since Apple
                > > introduced the technology in 1994.
                > >
                > > Again, those of you who complain about the content and whether or not
                > > you agree with it are just not getting the point. If you have a
                > > differing point of view politically that has nothing to do with this
                > > example of VR photography as photojournalism.
                > >
                > > So shut up! Please.
                > >
                > > Paul Fretheim

                > Scott Witte
                >
                > <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                > 414.345.9660
                > Member, IVRPA

              • Keith Martin
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 23, 2011
                  Sometime around 23/2/11 (at 07:35 -0800) Paul Fretheim said:

                  >Amy remarked, "I don't agree with the idea of referring to the
                  >corporate media as the mainstream media. I don't believe that the
                  >corporate media really represents the mainstream of thinking her in the
                  >United States.

                  A good point. However, the phrase 'mainstream media' doesn't
                  specifically mean 'what most people think', it simply refers to
                  established and traditional media.

                • prague
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 24, 2011
                    no comment, just a link.

                    http://www.boingboing.net/2011/02/23/idiana-deputy-attorn.html

                    hold your horses, cowboy!

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Drew" <rick@...> wrote:

                    > The VR sample was fine. The description was biased and inflammatory. A true
                    > photojournalist lets his photography send the message. He does not
                    > prostulatize or attempt to sway the viewer. That is not photojournalism -
                    > it's playing politics and does not belong here. Post the pano - keep the
                    > politically motivated comments.

                  • Roger D. Williams
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 24, 2011
                      This thread is sufficiently far off-topic that even
                      an OT label is probably inadequate. It should be
                      closed. Please treat it as such.

                      Roger W.

                      On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 07:28:40 +0900, Keith Martin <keith@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Sometime around 23/2/11 (at 07:35 -0800) Paul Fretheim said:
                      >
                      >> Amy remarked, "I don't agree with the idea of referring to the
                      >> corporate media as the mainstream media. I don't believe that the
                      >> corporate media really represents the mainstream of thinking her in the
                      >> United States.
                      >
                      > A good point. However, the phrase 'mainstream media' doesn't
                      > specifically mean 'what most people think', it simply refers to
                      > established and traditional media.

                      Work: www.adex-japan.com
                    • Mark Houston
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 24, 2011
                        I second Roger's suggestion.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 24, 2011
                          I do as well.... But only when it comes to overtly political discussion,
                          not panoramas in any way.

                          Scott

                          --
                          Scott Witte

                          <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                          <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                          414.345.9660
                          Member, IVRPA

                        • panovrx
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 24, 2011
                            It is wishful thinking to imagine you can have a politically neutral technical discussion about some pano photojournalism examples on this list - regardless of how they are presented -- it depends on the subject. It is the nature of the internet I guess. My Virtual Guantanomo panorama (of a replica cell) got 100,000 + hits. (It was on the front page of Digg) -- but discussion of it was closed after a day here, even though I thought it was quite a nice example of Enfuse in action :-) and I presented it that way.

                            PeterM

                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Witte <scottw@...> wrote:

                            > I do as well.... But only when it comes to overtly political discussion,
                            > not panoramas in any way.
                            >
                            > Scott
                            >
                            > On 2/24/2011 7:26 PM, Mark Houston wrote:
                            > > I second Roger's suggestion.
                            >
                            > --
                            > Scott Witte
                            >
                            > <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                            > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                            > 414.345.9660
                            > Member, IVRPA

                          • AYRTON
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 24, 2011
                              Peter Murphy
                              PLEASE could you send us a link to it ?

                              I would love to see it, and I missed it at the time

                              Thanks
                              best regards
                              AYRTON

                              On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:43 AM, panovrx <panovrx@...> wrote:

                              > It is wishful thinking to imagine you can have a politically neutral
                              > technical discussion about some pano photojournalism examples on this list -
                              > regardless of how they are presented -- it depends on the subject. It is the
                              > nature of the internet I guess. My Virtual Guantanomo panorama (of a replica
                              > cell) got 100,000 + hits. (It was on the front page of Digg) -- but
                              > discussion of it was closed after a day here, even though I thought it was
                              > quite a nice example of Enfuse in action :-) and I presented it that way.
                              >
                              > PeterM
                              >

                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Witte <scottw@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I do as well.... But only when it comes to overtly political discussion,
                              > > not panoramas in any way.
                              > >
                              > > Scott
                              > >
                              > > On 2/24/2011 7:26 PM, Mark Houston wrote:
                              > > > I second Roger's suggestion.
                              > >
                              > > --
                              > > Scott Witte
                              > >
                              > > <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                              > > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                              > > 414.345.9660
                              > > Member, IVRPA

                              + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                              + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                              http://ayrton360.com
                              twitter.com/ayrton360

                            • AYRTON
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 24, 2011
                                Hey Peter,
                                I found it already on google
                                First position on search :-)

                                Thanks anyway
                                AYRTON

                                --

                                + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                                + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP

                              • panovrx
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 24, 2011
                                  I went looking at links too and found this interesting site on "Immersive Journalism"
                                  http://www.immersivejournalism.com/?page_id=132

                                  no panoramas there but they have content on simulating news events in Second Life, with headmounted displays and with Kinect

                                  PeterM

                                  > Hey Peter,
                                  > I found it already on google
                                  > First position on search :-)
                                  >
                                  > Thanks anyway
                                  > AYRTON
                                  >

                                  > On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:51 AM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Peter Murphy
                                  > > PLEASE could you send us a link to it ?
                                  > >
                                  > > I would love to see it, and I missed it at the time
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks
                                  > > best regards
                                  > > AYRTON
                                  > >

                                  > > On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:43 AM, panovrx <panovrx@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > >> It is wishful thinking to imagine you can have a politically neutral
                                  > >> technical discussion about some pano photojournalism examples on this list -
                                  > >> regardless of how they are presented -- it depends on the subject. It is the
                                  > >> nature of the internet I guess. My Virtual Guantanomo panorama (of a replica
                                  > >> cell) got 100,000 + hits. (It was on the front page of Digg) -- but
                                  > >> discussion of it was closed after a day here, even though I thought it was
                                  > >> quite a nice example of Enfuse in action :-) and I presented it that way.
                                  > >>
                                  > >> PeterM

                                  > >> --
                                  > >>

                                  > > --
                                  > >
                                  > > + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                                  > > + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                                  > > http://ayrton360.com
                                  > > twitter.com/ayrton360
                                  > >

                                  > --
                                  >
                                  > + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                                  > + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                                  > http://ayrton360.com
                                  > twitter.com/ayrton360

                                • AYRTON
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 24, 2011
                                    On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 1:55 AM, panovrx <panovrx@...> wrote:

                                    > I went looking at links too and found this interesting site on "Immersive
                                    > Journalism"
                                    > http://www.immersivejournalism.com/?page_id=132

                                    I have been doing lots of panojournalism during the last years ...
                                    It seems that in Brazil the Newspapers and Magazines online love my panos,
                                    so I get call from a lot of them ... and this in return gets me more Clients
                                    that want to have panos from their events ...

                                    Like these links below:

                                    This was an event with the President of Brazil and the Governor of Rio de
                                    Janeiro State, during a launch a of new big oil ship

                                    <http://bit.ly/navio360>

                                    works perfect in html5 too, Thanks to Mr. Hans Nyberg :-) using Klaus's KRP

                                    And below just some panos from police getting in a slum last year in Rio
                                    But I do have much more, some with very strong images ...

                                    <http://bit.ly/bope360>

                                    I really think that panojournalism it is a strong way to make people, I
                                    mean, website's visitors, to feel the mood of being INside a happening

                                    The panos from Scott are very very cool and I'm surprised he still did not
                                    make any sale of it.
                                    It seems that the USA media still does not believe too much on our "product"
                                    :-(

                                    Best regards
                                    AYRTON

                                    > no panoramas there but they have content on simulating news events in
                                    > Second Life, with headmounted displays and with Kinect
                                    >
                                    > PeterM
                                    >
                                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hey Peter,
                                    > > I found it already on google
                                    > > First position on search :-)
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks anyway
                                    > > AYRTON
                                    > >

                                    > > On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:51 AM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > Peter Murphy
                                    > > > PLEASE could you send us a link to it ?
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I would love to see it, and I missed it at the time
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Thanks
                                    > > > best regards
                                    > > > AYRTON

                                    > list -
                                    > is the
                                    > replica
                                    > was
                                    > way.

                                    > discussion,

                                    > > > --
                                    > > >
                                    > > > + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                                    > > > + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                                    > > > http://ayrton360.com
                                    > > > twitter.com/ayrton360
                                    > > >

                                    > > --
                                    > >
                                    > > + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                                    > > + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                                    > > http://ayrton360.com
                                    > > twitter.com/ayrton360

                                    + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                                    + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                                    http://ayrton360.com
                                    twitter.com/ayrton360

                                  • huckrorick
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 25, 2011
                                      I am happy with the political discussion stimulated by this panorama. It seems to me that those who don't care for the discussion can simply not participate in this thread. In any case I would hope any discussion is handled in a constructive way and treats different views with respect.

                                      For those who want to show their support for the working people in Wisconsin there are rallys planned in all states. Locations are listed at this link
                                      http://pol.moveon.org/event/events/index.html?rc=rsad_dk&action_id=238&search_distance=30

                                      Huck