Ground Zero -- Madison, Wisconsin

  • Scott Witte
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 21, 2011
      Some of you may have heard about the protests in Madison, Wisconsin at
      the state capitol. The Republican plan to destroy public unions isn't
      going over very well with said unions or Democrats in general. The
      number of protesters grows daily. Saturday saw some 70,000. Based on all
      the right and left wing commentators as well a world wide news coverage,
      this is becoming a significant point in American history.

      Thing is, all the photos, video and news stories can't give a/feeling/
      for what it is like to be there at this "turning point in history." So
      I decided to create some 360VR images that do. Enjoy.

      Ground Zero -- Madison <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/madison_protest/>

      --
      Scott Witte

      <http://www.scottwitte.com>
      <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
      414.345.9660
      Member, IVRPA

    • Fulvio Senore
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 21, 2011
        Nice pano, and a lot of people.

        I have Firefox with FlashBlock and I cannot see it (Windowx XP).
        I have to disable FlashBlock to see it.

        This is the first time, usually I can see flash panos without problems.

        Fulvio Senore

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 21, 2011
          On 2/21/2011 3:24 PM, Fulvio Senore wrote:
          > I have Firefox with FlashBlock and I cannot see it (Windowx XP).
          > I have to disable FlashBlock to see it.
          >
          > This is the first time, usually I can see flash panos without problems.
          Fulvio,

          I have absolutely no experience with that. If anyone can shed some light
          on why this may be I would appreciate it.

          Thanks.

          --
          Scott Witte

          <http://www.scottwitte.com>
          <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
          414.345.9660
          Member, IVRPA

        • texas360dave
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 21, 2011
            Excellent coverage - first time for me... audio is fully supporting the panoramas. Hear and See first hand a US political event. Yes, almost like being there !!!!! Alot of RED SHIRTS there !!!

            Great work ! Now next for you... help us see and hear the net political affect.. Kill the bill ? Did they? And the result is??

            Stay tuned NEWS AT 10pm !!!

            Congratulations.. you are certainly showing the world democracy at work !!!

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Witte <scottw@...> wrote:

            > Some of you may have heard about the protests in Madison, Wisconsin at
            > the state capitol. The Republican plan to destroy public unions isn't
            > going over very well with said unions or Democrats in general. The
            > number of protesters grows daily. Saturday saw some 70,000. Based on all
            > the right and left wing commentators as well a world wide news coverage,
            > this is becoming a significant point in American history.
            >
            > Thing is, all the photos, video and news stories can't give a/feeling/
            > for what it is like to be there at this "turning point in history." So
            > I decided to create some 360VR images that do. Enjoy.
            >
            > Ground Zero -- Madison <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/madison_protest/>
            >
            > --
            > Scott Witte
            >
            > <http://www.scottwitte.com>
            > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
            > 414.345.9660
            > Member, IVRPA

          • Scott Witte
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 21, 2011
              Red shirts are teachers, mostly. Far fewer today since a larger portion
              are back in school. Today is a much larger portion of state workers
              since they have a furlough day (unpaid day off to help balance the budget).

              This probably won't be resolved soon. The State Senate needs 20 members
              present just to vote on a finance bill. There are 19 Republicans. All
              would vote in favor of it and it would pass. But they can't unless at
              least one Democrat is present (to make the 20 senators present). ALL 14
              Democratic senators have left the state so they can't be forced into the
              Senate. The Republicans can't pass the bill. The Democrats are wiling to
              negotiate. There is really little else they can do. The Republicans so
              far have no interest. In fact there steadfastness probably strengthens
              support from their base. But there are signs they may pay dearly for it
              among independents and moderates come the next election. But that is
              years away. So why worry. Meanwhile opposition and news coverage
              increases. People start to understand the real issues and that it isn't
              all one sided no matter which side you are on.

              These are interesting times.

              Scott

              On 2/21/2011 3:58 PM, texas360dave wrote:
              > Excellent coverage - first time for me... audio is fully supporting the panoramas. Hear and See first hand a US political event. Yes, almost like being there !!!!! Alot of RED SHIRTS there !!!
              >
              > Great work ! Now next for you... help us see and hear the net political affect.. Kill the bill ? Did they? And the result is??
              >
              > Stay tuned NEWS AT 10pm !!!
              >
              > Congratulations.. you are certainly showing the world democracy at work !!!
              >
              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Witte<scottw@...> wrote:
              >> Some of you may have heard about the protests in Madison, Wisconsin at
              >> the state capitol. The Republican plan to destroy public unions isn't
              >> going over very well with said unions or Democrats in general. The
              >> number of protesters grows daily. Saturday saw some 70,000. Based on all
              >> the right and left wing commentators as well a world wide news coverage,
              >> this is becoming a significant point in American history.
              >>
              >> Thing is, all the photos, video and news stories can't give a/feeling/
              >> for what it is like to be there at this "turning point in history." So
              >> I decided to create some 360VR images that do. Enjoy.
              >>
              >> Ground Zero -- Madison<http://www.tourdeforce360.com/madison_protest/>
              >>
              >> --
              >> Scott Witte
              >>
              >> <http://www.scottwitte.com>
              >> <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
              >> 414.345.9660
              >> Member, IVRPA

              Scott Witte

              <http://www.scottwitte.com>
              <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
              414.345.9660
              Member, IVRPA

            • Ken Warner
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 21, 2011
                I feel great empathy with those who see the need to maintain collective
                bargaining. Here is the best run down of the situation that I can easily
                find:
                http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/02/21/947732/-Wisconsin-union-protests-update:-Round-up-of-weekend-action

                But please! Not here. Let's make PanoToolsNG a sanctuary against the
                lunacy.....

              • panovrx
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 21, 2011
                  Impressive the 3d effect with all those people at different scales on the different levels of the building! And a very candid feeling. Flawless stitching in a difficult situation.

                  PeterM

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 21, 2011

                    Outstanding work Scott

                    Mark Houston
                    http://www.360michigan.net

                  • Scott Witte
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 21, 2011
                      Many thanks to all who have commented and complimented here and
                      directly. Much appreciated.

                      Ken -- I thought I was just answering the questions, but you're right.
                      This is /not/ the place for political advocacy.

                      --
                      Scott Witte

                      <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                      <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                      414.345.9660
                      Member, IVRPA

                    • Roger D. Williams
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 21, 2011
                        On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 05:08:54 +0900, Scott Witte <scottw@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Some of you may have heard about the protests in Madison, Wisconsin at
                        > the state capitol. The Republican plan to destroy public unions isn't
                        > going over very well with said unions or Democrats in general. The
                        > number of protesters grows daily. Saturday saw some 70,000. Based on all
                        > the right and left wing commentators as well a world wide news coverage,
                        > this is becoming a significant point in American history.
                        >
                        > Thing is, all the photos, video and news stories can't give a/feeling/
                        > for what it is like to be there at this "turning point in history." So
                        > I decided to create some 360VR images that do. Enjoy.
                        >
                        > Ground Zero -- Madison <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/madison_protest/>

                        I only got a grey screen where the image should have appeared.

                        PC VISTA ultimate, Opera 10.

                        Roger W.

                        --
                        Work: www.adex-japan.com
                      • Rick Drew
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 21, 2011
                          While I appreciate the posting of panos, the political pontification has to
                          go.

                          "The Republican plan to destroy public unions" and "ground zero"??

                          Come on!

                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 21, 2011
                            What version of Flash are you using. I just discovered that some version
                            of Flash 10.0 have a problem, for instance. Not sure why.

                            BTW, that feedback is very important. Thanks.

                            Scott

                            --
                            Scott Witte

                            <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                            <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                            414.345.9660
                            Member, IVRPA

                          • Bostjan Burger
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 21, 2011
                              Quality documentary and great VR-photo journalism. Bravo!

                              Bostjan

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 21, 2011
                                On 2-21-2011 1:34 PM, Scott Witte's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                                and typed ...:
                                > On 2/21/2011 3:24 PM, Fulvio Senore wrote:
                                >> I have Firefox with FlashBlock and I cannot see it (Windowx XP).
                                >> I have to disable FlashBlock to see it.
                                >>
                                >> This is the first time, usually I can see flash panos without problems.
                                > Fulvio,
                                >
                                > I have absolutely no experience with that. If anyone can shed some light
                                > on why this may be I would appreciate it.

                                It works find here in Win 7 x64 and XP Pro SP3 with AdBlockPlus enabled
                                in FF 3.6.13.

                                > Thanks.

                                Pat Swovelin
                                Cool Guy @ Large

                              • Roger D. Williams
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 22, 2011
                                  On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 13:43:03 +0900, Scott Witte <scottw@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > What version of Flash are you using. I just discovered that some version
                                  > of Flash 10.0 have a problem, for instance. Not sure why.
                                  >
                                  > BTW, that feedback is very important. Thanks.

                                  I would like to help but....

                                  > On 2/21/2011 8:51 PM, Roger D. Williams wrote:
                                  >> I only got a grey screen where the image should have appeared.
                                  >> PC VISTA ultimate, Opera 10.

                                  I am not sure what version of Flash I am using, but it is
                                  certainly not the latest, as for some reason the Adobe Flash
                                  updates no longer go through, always resulting in an error
                                  message, something to do with my VISTA security settings.

                                  I had no problems viewing it with Chrome, by the way, and
                                  echo the chorus of praise for this splendid panorama. I
                                  wish we could get something similar from the Middle East
                                  but it looks as if the atmosphere there is less, ah,
                                  congenial to panorama talking. <grin>

                                  Roger W.

                                  --
                                  Work: www.adex-japan.com
                                • Dicere
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 22, 2011
                                    Amazing quality in those crowded interiors. Can I ask what you are using to stitch your panos? They are flawless.
                                    Thanks,

                                    Jeff.

                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Witte <scottw@...> wrote:

                                    > Some of you may have heard about the protests in Madison, Wisconsin at
                                    > the state capitol. The Republican plan to destroy public unions isn't
                                    > going over very well with said unions or Democrats in general. The
                                    > number of protesters grows daily. Saturday saw some 70,000. Based on all
                                    > the right and left wing commentators as well a world wide news coverage,
                                    > this is becoming a significant point in American history.
                                    >
                                    > Thing is, all the photos, video and news stories can't give a/feeling/
                                    > for what it is like to be there at this "turning point in history." So
                                    > I decided to create some 360VR images that do. Enjoy.
                                    >
                                    > Ground Zero -- Madison <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/madison_protest/>
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Scott Witte
                                    >
                                    > <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                                    > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                                    > 414.345.9660
                                    > Member, IVRPA

                                  • Scott Witte
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 22, 2011
                                      On 2/22/2011 10:07 AM, Dicere wrote:
                                      > Amazing quality in those crowded interiors. Can I ask what you are using to stitch your panos? They are flawless.
                                      Thanks.

                                      The Stitcher is PTGui but more importantly the blender is SmartBlend.
                                      Also, there was a lot of masking to ensure excluding parts of one image
                                      in favor of the overlapping part. And I did a fair amount of hand
                                      retouch. These weren't simple stitches by any means.

                                      --
                                      Scott

                                      <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                                      <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                                      414.345.9660
                                      Member, IVRPA

                                    • Ron Rack
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 23, 2011
                                        It seems this really hit a nerve and has become quite popular. Your
                                        site is down due to Bandwidth limitations.

                                        ron rack

                                        On Feb 21, 2011, at 3:08 PM, Scott Witte wrote:

                                        > Some of you may have heard about the protests in Madison, Wisconsin at
                                        > the state capitol. The Republican plan to destroy public unions isn't
                                        > going over very well with said unions or Democrats in general. The
                                        > number of protesters grows daily. Saturday saw some 70,000. Based on
                                        > all
                                        > the right and left wing commentators as well a world wide news
                                        > coverage,
                                        > this is becoming a significant point in American history.
                                        >
                                        > Thing is, all the photos, video and news stories can't give a/feeling/
                                        > for what it is like to be there at this "turning point in history." So
                                        > I decided to create some 360VR images that do. Enjoy.
                                        >
                                        > Ground Zero -- Madison <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/
                                        > madison_protest/>
                                        >
                                        > --
                                        > Scott Witte
                                        >
                                        > <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                                        > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                                        > 414.345.9660
                                        > Member, IVRPA

                                      • Scott Witte
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 23, 2011
                                          Wow. Thanks for letting me know, Ron!

                                          I went through 18GB of bandwidth in the last two days. Heady numbers for
                                          me. But my hosting service is very accommodating so they turned on the
                                          spigot again. It should stay up now.

                                          Scott

                                          On 2/23/2011 4:05 PM, Ron Rack wrote:
                                          > It seems this really hit a nerve and has become quite popular. Your
                                          > site is down due to Bandwidth limitations.

                                          --
                                          Scott Witte

                                          <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                                          <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                                          414.345.9660
                                          Member, IVRPA

                                        • prague
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Feb 24, 2011
                                            These panos are really nice. Great crowd shots.

                                            If anyone out there shoots any type of news pano, please let me know, we can contact the folks at Newscorp - we've worked for months to make an agreement with them about panos - stuff like this is perfect, but being news it should be as fresh as possible! It seems that The Daily is really using panos a lot, which is great. I hope everyone can keep that mind whenever they shoot something possibly newsworthy.

                                            http://blog.360cities.net/launch-of-newscorps-the-daily-for-ipad-features-360-cities-panoramas/

                                            cheers,
                                            Jeffrey