Re: [PanoToolsNG] Evercookies -- something I didn't know about that seems important to me...

  • Eric O'Brien
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2011
      For even more, you might look at <http://samy.pl/evercookie/>

      "evercookie is a javascript API available that produces extremely
      persistent cookies in a browser. Its goal is to identify a client
      even after they've removed standard cookies, Flash cookies (Local
      Shared Objects or LSOs), and others. evercookie accomplishes this by
      storing the cookie data in several types of storage mechanisms that
      are available on the local browser. Additionally, if evercookie has
      found the user has removed any of the types of cookies in question, it
      recreates them using each mechanism available."

      I'm particularly impressed with "Storing cookies in RGB values of auto-
      generated, force-cached PNGs using HTML5 Canvas tag to read pixels
      (cookies) back out" (!) ... just in case you hadn't thought of
      (yikes!) THAT trick.

      eo