Realistic windows

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 17, 2011
      Here is an interior -a temporary experimental "eco-restaurant"
      http://www.mediavr.com/joostsydney2011.htm
      where the exterior views are important but I wanted the interior to have the feeling of being full of light also.

      Hard to do with HDR/Enfuse with people around and waves etc outside. This was +/- 2 stops bracketing with Enfuse for the initial stitch and manual adjustment from the exposure pano layers for the people groups (to repair subject movement with the exposure blending) and each of the windows in turn. Exterior views need to have lighter blacks and softer contrast generally than the interiors for realistic effects I think -- to simulate the flaring of light etc in our eye's response.

      Peter M
    • Ron Rack
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 17, 2011
        All true, nice job there

        ron rack

        On Feb 17, 2011, at 11:55 AM, panovrx wrote:

        > Here is an interior -a temporary experimental "eco-restaurant"
        > http://www.mediavr.com/joostsydney2011.htm
        > where the exterior views are important but I wanted the interior to
        > have the feeling of being full of light also.
        >
        > Hard to do with HDR/Enfuse with people around and waves etc outside.
        > This was +/- 2 stops bracketing with Enfuse for the initial stitch
        > and manual adjustment from the exposure pano layers for the people
        > groups (to repair subject movement with the exposure blending) and
        > each of the windows in turn. Exterior views need to have lighter
        > blacks and softer contrast generally than the interiors for
        > realistic effects I think -- to simulate the flaring of light etc in
        > our eye's response.
        >
        > Peter M

      • Sodhi.K.S
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 17, 2011
          Excellent work , well done.

          Warm Regards,
          Sodhi.KS

          Hotels & Industrial Photographer
          www.sodhisphotography.com
          Regular, Panaromas, 360deg & Virtual

          With us Photography is a Passion !

          Mob : 09891151165
          09971299822

          ________________________________
          On Feb 17, 2011, at 11:55 AM, panovrx wrote:

          > Here is an interior -a temporary experimental "eco-restaurant"
          > http://www.mediavr.com/joostsydney2011.htm
          > where the exterior views are important but I wanted the interior to
          > have the feeling of being full of light also.
          >
          > Hard to do with HDR/Enfuse with people around and waves etc outside.
          > This was +/- 2 stops bracketing with Enfuse for the initial stitch
          > and manual adjustment from the exposure pano layers for the people
          > groups (to repair subject movement with the exposure blending) and
          > each of the windows in turn. Exterior views need to have lighter
          > blacks and softer contrast generally than the interiors for
          > realistic effects I think -- to simulate the flaring of light etc in
          > our eye's response.
          >
          > Peter M

        • jrgen_schrader
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 17, 2011
            Now that I have read the text I am a bit confused because when I first just looked at the picture I though there were no window panes at all. Talking about "realistic windows" I would at least in the bigger ones expect to see some kind of reflections, glare, or whatever.

            > Here is an interior -a temporary experimental "eco-restaurant"
            > http://www.mediavr.com/joostsydney2011.htm
            > where the exterior views are important but I wanted the interior to have the feeling of being full of light also.
            >
            > Hard to do with HDR/Enfuse with people around and waves etc outside. This was +/- 2 stops bracketing with Enfuse for the initial stitch and manual adjustment from the exposure pano layers for the people groups (to repair subject movement with the exposure blending) and each of the windows in turn. Exterior views need to have lighter blacks and softer contrast generally than the interiors for realistic effects I think -- to simulate the flaring of light etc in our eye's response.
            >
            > Peter M

          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 17, 2011
              "Windows" in the generic sense of "openings in walls" :-)

              > Now that I have read the text I am a bit confused because when I first just looked at the picture I though there were no window panes at all. Talking about "realistic windows" I would at least in the bigger ones expect to see some kind of reflections, glare, or whatever.
              >
              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <panovrx@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Here is an interior -a temporary experimental "eco-restaurant"
              > > http://www.mediavr.com/joostsydney2011.htm
              > > where the exterior views are important but I wanted the interior to have the feeling of being full of light also.
              > >
              > > Hard to do with HDR/Enfuse with people around and waves etc outside. This was +/- 2 stops bracketing with Enfuse for the initial stitch and manual adjustment from the exposure pano layers for the people groups (to repair subject movement with the exposure blending) and each of the windows in turn. Exterior views need to have lighter blacks and softer contrast generally than the interiors for realistic effects I think -- to simulate the flaring of light etc in our eye's response.
              > >
              > > Peter M

            • jrgen_schrader
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 17, 2011
                Ah! Sorry ;)
                So my first impression was right that there is no glass involved?

                > "Windows" in the generic sense of "openings in walls" :-)
                >

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Now that I have read the text I am a bit confused because when I first just looked at the picture I though there were no window panes at all. Talking about "realistic windows" I would at least in the bigger ones expect to see some kind of reflections, glare, or whatever.
                > >
                > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <panovrx@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Here is an interior -a temporary experimental "eco-restaurant"
                > > > http://www.mediavr.com/joostsydney2011.htm
                > > > where the exterior views are important but I wanted the interior to have the feeling of being full of light also.
                > > >
                > > > Hard to do with HDR/Enfuse with people around and waves etc outside. This was +/- 2 stops bracketing with Enfuse for the initial stitch and manual adjustment from the exposure pano layers for the people groups (to repair subject movement with the exposure blending) and each of the windows in turn. Exterior views need to have lighter blacks and softer contrast generally than the interiors for realistic effects I think -- to simulate the flaring of light etc in our eye's response.
                > > >
                > > > Peter M

              • Rick Drew
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 17, 2011
                  A couple of years back I did a shoot for a client (he owns the copyright, so
                  I can't use them as examples) in a studio setting, ground level. We used
                  two photographers - one outside, me inside. I shot the pano, he walked to
                  each window and shot a wide angle photo with a polarizing filter.

                  I used his shots to paste into the windows at around a 10% transparency -
                  they made the perfect reflection.

                  Rick Drew

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 17, 2011
                    It is warm enough in Sydney.. so it is possible that these people are sitting at an open air restaurant with the windows removed during daytime...

                    My example here was done using two panoramas one inside other outside. The outside one was intentionally a bit "washed out" in order not to give a removed window pane feeling.

                    http://www.360cities.net/image/rheingold-aussichtswagen-tee-zug-1962-assmannshausen-2010#313.00,-4.70,85.0

                    Willy

                    On Feb 17, 2011, at 21:12, jrgen_schrader wrote:

                    > Now that I have read the text I am a bit confused because when I first just looked at the picture I though there were no window panes at all. Talking about "realistic windows" I would at least in the bigger ones expect to see some kind of reflections, glare, or whatever.
                    >
                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Here is an interior -a temporary experimental "eco-restaurant"
                    > > http://www.mediavr.com/joostsydney2011.htm
                    > > where the exterior views are important but I wanted the interior to have the feeling of being full of light also.
                    > >
                    > > Hard to do with HDR/Enfuse with people around and waves etc outside. This was +/- 2 stops bracketing with Enfuse for the initial stitch and manual adjustment from the exposure pano layers for the people groups (to repair subject movement with the exposure blending) and each of the windows in turn. Exterior views need to have lighter blacks and softer contrast generally than the interiors for realistic effects I think -- to simulate the flaring of light etc in our eye's response.
                    > >
                    > > Peter M

                  • robert
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 17, 2011
                      > Here is an interior -a temporary experimental "eco-restaurant"
                      > http://www.mediavr.com/joostsydney2011.htm
                      > where the exterior views are important but I wanted the interior to have the feeling of being full of light also.

                      Peter,

                      First let me say I'm a fan of yours from the late 1990's, back when you had to enter numbers to stitch 360's. You are a true pioneer of computational photography and I greatly enjoy your continual and ongoing contribution to it. You've helped me be better in what I do.

                      Thank you.

                      For this 360 however, I think you could do better.

                      The view point is much too high, lose the pole - I feel like I'm a NBA star floating toward the rim looking at this view. And the interior is much too bright relative to the view. The view looks like store windows painted on. I would drop the interior or fade the exterior - they are too close to be realistic.

                      For what's it's worth that's my take on this.

                      High regards,

                      Robert
                    • Roger D. Williams
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 17, 2011
                        On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:30:16 +0900, robert <image360@...> wrote:

                        >> Here is an interior -a temporary experimental "eco-restaurant"
                        >> http://www.mediavr.com/joostsydney2011.htm
                        >> where the exterior views are important but I wanted the interior to
                        >> have the feeling of being full of light also.
                        >>

                        > Peter,
                        >
                        > First let me say I'm a fan of yours from the late 1990's, back when you
                        > had to enter numbers to stitch 360's. You are a true pioneer of
                        > computational photography and I greatly enjoy your continual and ongoing
                        > contribution to it. You've helped me be better in what I do.

                        I may not have a been a fan quite as long as Robert but I am
                        quite as enthusiastic!

                        However, although it would doubtless mean still more work which is
                        probably a bit TOO much considering how much effort this one has
                        already taken, I think this is an ideal case for the "pseudo
                        parallax" effect that Erik (the Dutch Erik!) experimented with.
                        The view through the windows does vary slightly as one turns
                        one's head, and Erik emulated this very nicely. I, on the other
                        hand, was never able to emulate Erik's success, so it is not easy.

                        Roger W.

                        --
                        Work: www.adex-japan.com
                      • panovrx
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 17, 2011
                          Its all those scrawled words on the ceiling and walls that obsessed me and I wanted the feeling that you were floating amongst all the conversations that go on in restaurants. Bright and close like that it is like you are swimming in alphabet soup. Also high shots for panoramas often seem less of an intrusion when you are photographing the general public. So the height I dont mind but "painted on" is a worry.

                          PeterM

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "robert" <image360@...> wrote:

                          > Thank you.
                          >
                          > For this 360 however, I think you could do better.
                          >
                          > The view point is much too high, lose the pole - I feel like I'm a NBA star floating toward the rim looking at this view. And the interior is much too bright relative to the view. The view looks like store windows painted on. I would drop the interior or fade the exterior - they are too close to be realistic.
                          >
                          > For what's it's worth that's my take on this.
                          >
                          > High regards,
                          >
                          > Robert

                        • robert
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 17, 2011

                            > Its all those scrawled words on the ceiling and walls that obsessed me and I wanted the feeling that you were floating amongst all the conversations that go on in restaurants.

                            I think perhaps this would be best done with audio. If you made a recording with different voices saying the words written as a background voice-over it would work for me.

                            The height point, we'll just have to disagree on that, too close to the ceiling for me. :)

                            Best Regards,

                            Robert
                          • AYRTON
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 17, 2011
                              Peter and Robert

                              I'm also a looong time fan of Peter's works

                              And I love the higher point of view here ...
                              Just perfect !

                              Lower would interfere too much with the view and loose the mood it's there,
                              seen this way

                              Cheers
                              AYRTON

                              On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 2:58 AM, robert <image360@...> wrote:

                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Its all those scrawled words on the ceiling and walls that obsessed me
                              > and I wanted the feeling that you were floating amongst all the
                              > conversations that go on in restaurants.
                              >
                              > I think perhaps this would be best done with audio. If you made a recording
                              > with different voices saying the words written as a background voice-over it
                              > would work for me.
                              >
                              > The height point, we'll just have to disagree on that, too close to the
                              > ceiling for me. :)
                              >
                              > Best Regards,
                              >
                              > Robert

                              + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                              + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                              http://ayrton360.com
                              twitter.com/ayrton360

                            • robert
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 17, 2011
                                > Lower would interfere too much with the view and loose the mood it's there,
                                > seen this way
                                >
                                > Cheers
                                > AYRTON

                                To me, the view is not the subject, just a background element. That's also why I would brighten the background up just 1/2 stop or so and why I feel a lower view point would bring the viewer into the work more. If I want to be part of the conversation then I need to be at the same level as the participants.

                                That's my take, a very small matter of degrees, as is, it's extremely good work.

                                Regards,

                                Robert
                              • Steve Morton
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 18, 2011
                                  robert wrote:
                                  > The view point is much too high, lose the pole - I feel like I'm a NBA
                                  > star floating toward the rim looking at this view.

                                  No, I don't agree. If the camera was a lot lower you wouldn't get the
                                  same view of the opera house

                                  > And the interior is much too bright relative to the view.

                                  No, not at all. Here in Australia places like this ARE bright and airy

                                  > The view looks like store windows
                                  > painted on. I would drop the interior or fade the exterior - they are
                                  > too close to be realistic.

                                  No, this IS just how it looks

                                  I think the shot is GREAT!!! just my $0.02

                                  Cya
                                  Steve
                                • Bjørn K Nilssen
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 18, 2011
                                    På Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:24:46 +0100, skrev Steve Morton <steven.morton@...>:

                                    > robert wrote:
                                    >> The view point is much too high, lose the pole - I feel like I'm a NBA
                                    >> star floating toward the rim looking at this view.
                                    >
                                    > No, I don't agree. If the camera was a lot lower you wouldn't get the
                                    > same view of the opera house

                                    I like the camera pos a lot too :)

                                    >> And the interior is much too bright relative to the view.
                                    >
                                    > No, not at all. Here in Australia places like this ARE bright and airy

                                    No matter how bright such places are in Australia I think they will still be a tad darker than the exterior anyway ;)
                                    I think the interior could have been slightly brighter, or the interior slightly darker - or both.
                                    That would give it a more realistic feeling, and less of a "wall-paper view".

                                    >> The view looks like store windows
                                    >> painted on. I would drop the interior or fade the exterior - they are
                                    >> too close to be realistic.
                                    >
                                    > No, this IS just how it looks
                                    >
                                    > I think the shot is GREAT!!! just my $0.02
                                    >
                                    > Cya
                                    > Steve

                                    Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
                                  • Bruce Hemming
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 18, 2011
                                      I too prefer a brighter exterior exposure, it just feels more
                                      realistic somehow - probably some kind of deeply embedded memory from
                                      shooting film, old photographers default setting or something. I have
                                      been lucky enough to work in the Caribbean where the problem is
                                      similar with huge luminance ranges. An example of what feels right to
                                      me <http://www.bhphoto.biz/panorama/seascape/seascape.html> but it's
                                      incredibly subjective. That was a little while ago and now I prefer a
                                      little more contrast - our taste evolves, especially as we see more
                                      examples of how this problem can be tackled <http://www.bhphoto.biz/zanzibar/zanzibar.html

                                      Regards

                                      Bruce

                                      Bruce Hemming
                                      Bruce Hemming Photography
                                    • pedro_silva58
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 18, 2011
                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bj�rn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:
                                        > I think the interior could have been slightly brighter, or the interior slightly darker - or both.

                                        say that again, with a straight face...

                                        cheers,
                                        pedro
                                      • Bjørn K Nilssen
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 18, 2011
                                          På Fri, 18 Feb 2011 15:48:31 +0100, skrev pedro_silva58 <pedro_silva58@...>:

                                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bj�rn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:
                                          >> I think the interior could have been slightly brighter, or the interior slightly darker - or both.
                                          >
                                          > say that again, with a straight face...

                                          Ooops !
                                          And I can't even blame it on the iPhone spellchecker ;)
                                          It should (of course) be darker interior or/and brighter exterior.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 18, 2011
                                            2011/2/18 Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>

                                            > På Fri, 18 Feb 2011 15:48:31 +0100, skrev pedro_silva58 <
                                            > pedro_silva58@...>:
                                            >
                                            > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bj�rn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:
                                            > >> I think the interior could have been slightly brighter, or the interior
                                            > slightly darker - or both.
                                            > >
                                            > > say that again, with a straight face...
                                            >
                                            > Ooops !
                                            > And I can't even blame it on the iPhone spellchecker ;)
                                            > It should (of course) be darker interior or/and brighter exterior.

                                            Sooooo
                                            Bjorn you;re using an iPhone too :-)
                                            That's good to know
                                            I love it and have been using it a lot for making panoramic images as layout
                                            for Clients that wants me to do special projects

                                            Best
                                            AYRTON

                                            > --
                                            > Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.

                                            + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                                            + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                                            http://ayrton360.com
                                            twitter.com/ayrton360

                                          • Huck Rorick
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 18, 2011
                                              Peter,
                                              Is this an actual place? Or is it an image of a design or idea for a place?
                                              Huck

                                            • Bjørn K Nilssen
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 18, 2011
                                                På Fri, 18 Feb 2011 20:43:19 +0100, skrev AYRTON <avi@...>:

                                                > 2011/2/18 Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>
                                                >
                                                >> På Fri, 18 Feb 2011 15:48:31 +0100, skrev pedro_silva58 <
                                                >> pedro_silva58@...>:

                                                >> slightly darker - or both.
                                                >> >
                                                >> > say that again, with a straight face...
                                                >>
                                                >> Ooops !
                                                >> And I can't even blame it on the iPhone spellchecker ;)
                                                >> It should (of course) be darker interior or/and brighter exterior.
                                                >>

                                                > Sooooo
                                                > Bjorn you;re using an iPhone too :-)

                                                Oh no, I'm not! Just couldn't resist after rolling on the floor laughing after watching some examples of iPhone "corrections" ;)
                                                OTOH I guess even the infamous iPhone spellchecker wouldn't have changed exterior to interior anyway ;)
                                                I know my Android spellchecker wouldn't, and neither would OperaMails ;)

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 22, 2011
                                                  A message to Peter Murphy:

                                                  Will you be photographing this for us to look at:
                                                  http://www.encoremagazine.com.au/sydney-fest-launches-world-first-immersive-3d-ai-experience-6947

                                                  All the best
                                                  Steve
                                                • panovrx
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Feb 25, 2011
                                                    http://www.mediavr.com/joostexterior6.htm
                                                    this shows an exterior view (on another day)

                                                    this btw was with a rolled Sigma15mm/5DMII - tilting down slightly - plus 1 up shot. On Continuous Raw on a motorized rotator in about 12 seconds. Because I I would have plenty of shots I could mask the lens laterally down to about 60 degrees horizontal (with a black foam press on lens hood). The looking down slightly plus the lateral shading give me less foreground flare in some situations -- like here where there is a bright sun in the scene.

                                                    PeterM