Pano video question

  • David Auner
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2011
      Hi guys!

      Long time no write, I know. Been absorbed with work in and out of
      panoramic stuff. Here's my question:

      Have been asked by an agency to shoot panoramic video of interiors.
      Camera(s) will be mounted on a dolly and pushed through rooms and
      hallways while the user has the option to look around freely. Will be
      used for internet and will be embedded in flash. Have you guys used the
      various single shot lens options? How are they quality wise? Best of the
      bunch? Or how would you go about shooting something like that?

      Thanks in advance, Dave

      --
      David Auner

      Filmproduktion

      Assmayergasse 5-7/1/1
      A-1120 Wien
      Austria

      phone +43 664 11 27 481
      e-mail david@...
      www http://www.auner.net
      twitter http://twitter.com/DavidAuner
      uid nr./vat id. ATU57818455

      current project http://www.wherearethepyramids.com

      ---<<| "Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte |>>---
      ---<<| non quand il n’y a plus rien à ajouter, |>>---
      ---<<| mais quand il n’y a plus rien à retrancher" |>>---
      ---<<| - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry |>>---
    • David Auner
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2011
        On 06.02.2011 20:15, David Auner wrote:
        > Have you guys used the
        > various single shot lens options? How are they quality wise? Best of the
        > bunch? Or how would you go about shooting something like that?

        Hi guys!

        Follow up to my last question: can the remapping of single lens shots to
        a cylindrical pano be done in Batch Photoshop with Panotools? Thanks...

        Cheers, Dave

        --
        David Auner

        Filmproduktion

        Assmayergasse 5-7/1/1
        A-1120 Wien
        Austria

        phone +43 664 11 27 481
        e-mail david@...
        www http://www.auner.net
        twitter http://twitter.com/DavidAuner
        uid nr./vat id. ATU57818455

        current project http://www.wherearethepyramids.com

        ---<<| "Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte |>>---
        ---<<| non quand il n’y a plus rien à ajouter, |>>---
        ---<<| mais quand il n’y a plus rien à retrancher" |>>---
        ---<<| - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry |>>---
      • Rick Drew
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2011
          Yes and no.

          I've used a couple of different single shots, and the quality is marginal.
          The focus is never sharp, details lack, lens flare is always a problem in
          sunny shots. Resolution is minimal - you're only using about 70% of the
          frame - or less. You usually have to crop out the top and bottom, so that
          takes away even more. Real estate agents love them because the lenses are
          "brainless" - anyone can use them, and they don't care about quality
          results.

          Once you shoot with a wide angle lens you'll never use a one-shot again.

          As for unwrapping, every one-shot is different. The software you use has to
          support that specific lens (that may have changed over the past couple of
          years.) Each mirror has a different coverage %age, shape and size, so
          there's no single solution for them all.

          Rick Drew

          ------------------------------------

          --
        • David Auner
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2011
            On 08.02.2011 17:44, Rick Drew wrote:

            > Once you shoot with a wide angle lens you'll never use a one-shot again.
            >
            > As for unwrapping, every one-shot is different. The software you use
            > has to
            > support that specific lens (that may have changed over the past couple of
            > years.) Each mirror has a different coverage %age, shape and size, so
            > there's no single solution for them all.

            Thanks for the answer Rick. I have shot panos for at least 6-7 years
            now, my current setup is a D3x, so I know what I am losing. But I can't
            use anything else on this project for budget and other reasons... Any
            experience with Pano Pro lenses? (http://www.pano-pro.com/khxc/index.php?)

            Cheers, Dave

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2011
              Hi;

              Not that one. I used an "Egg" an iPix and one other (can't remember the
              make - they are no longer made.)

              I inherited the iPix from a friend, and purchased the other two. Sold them
              all on eBay. I have some of the images from the one I can't remember on
              Flickr.

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickthephotoguy/5428791261/

              Rick Drew

            • David Auner
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 11, 2011
                On 08.02.2011 23:08, Rick Drew wrote:

                > Hi;
                >
                > Not that one. I used an "Egg" an iPix and one other (can't remember the
                > make - they are no longer made.)

                Thanks mate. Ordered the Pano Pro lens and will check it out when it
                arrives. Hope it will suit our project...

                Regards, Dave