Chrome 9 with WebGL has been released

  • Aldo Hoeben
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011
      Chrome just autoupdated itself to version 9.something.

      Chrome 9 is the first stable (ie: non-beta) browser to include WebGL support. The dawn of a new era of html5 viewers (that are not apple-only) is upon us ;-)

      All praise Helmut Dersch who released the first WebGL panorama viewer more than a year ago!
      http://files.fieldofview.com/temp/ptvng/
      (updated from Helmut's original, after the WebGL spec changed:
      http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html )

      'do
    • prague
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011
        holy crap, that's incredibly smooth.

        the minus key didn't zoom out for me... so i had to reload the page after zooming in all the way.

        i'd like to see fullsreen (or at least, full browser window)

        no multires i guess for another year or two? ;)

        > Chrome just autoupdated itself to version 9.something.
        >
        > Chrome 9 is the first stable (ie: non-beta) browser to include WebGL support. The dawn of a new era of html5 viewers (that are not apple-only) is upon us ;-)
        >
        > All praise Helmut Dersch who released the first WebGL panorama viewer more than a year ago!
        > http://files.fieldofview.com/temp/ptvng/
        > (updated from Helmut's original, after the WebGL spec changed:
        > http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html )
        >
        > 'do

      • Aldo Hoeben
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2011
          > holy crap, that's incredibly smooth.

          Yup. Good times are ahead

          > the minus key didn't zoom out for me... so i had to
          > reload the page after zooming in all the way.

          Ah, yes, chrome has a different keycode for the - than firefox. I think Jan Martinhas a fixed version somewhere.

          > i'd like to see fullsreen (or at least, full browser window)

          Full browser window is a question of resizing the div. Making a toolbar is as simple as overlaying some html on top. Fullscreen onthe other hand is more complicated, because AFAIK there is no standardised way to make html5 go fullscreen, not even for video.

          > no multires i guess for another year or two? ;)

          Your best bet would be krpano there. I don't think it will take 2 years for Klaus to come up with a webgl version. He has already hinted at just having to swap out the css transforms renderer by a webgl renderer. I just don't know how far along he is.

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Aldo Hoeben" <aldo@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Chrome just autoupdated itself to version 9.something.
          > >
          > > Chrome 9 is the first stable (ie: non-beta) browser to include WebGL support. The dawn of a new era of html5 viewers (that are not apple-only) is upon us ;-)
          > >
          > > All praise Helmut Dersch who released the first WebGL panorama viewer more than a year ago!
          > > http://files.fieldofview.com/temp/ptvng/
          > > (updated from Helmut's original, after the WebGL spec changed:
          > > http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html )
          > >
          > > 'do

        • Aldo Hoeben
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2011
            I have created a github project for PTViewerNG:

            in action:
            http://fieldofview.github.com/PTViewerNG/
            src/download:
            http://github.com/fieldofview/PTViewerNG/

            I have fixed the - key on chrome, added A/Z and Shift/Control zooming, and a first stab at "fullscreen" functionality (use the F key).

            Note that this is still mostly Helmut Dersch' work.
            Have fun...
          • Isaac Garcia
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 5, 2011
              Full screen browser + full window pano pretty much gives the "traditional"
              full screen experience.

              For some reason I cannot get the browser to go to full screen from the pano
              page (http://fieldofview.github.com/PTViewerNG/) I need to do so in another
              tab then come back to the pano page. I assume something eles is either
              capturing/disabling that key (both Firefox and Chrome).

              Cheers, Isaac.

              On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Aldo Hoeben <aldo@...> wrote:

              > I have created a github project for PTViewerNG:
              >
              > in action:
              > http://fieldofview.github.com/PTViewerNG/
              > src/download:
              > http://github.com/fieldofview/PTViewerNG/
              >
              > I have fixed the - key on chrome, added A/Z and Shift/Control zooming, and
              > a first stab at "fullscreen" functionality (use the F key).
              >
              > Note that this is still mostly Helmut Dersch' work.
              > Have fun...

              Isaac GarcĂ­a

              http://www.coletassoft.com
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletassoft
              http://www.facebook.com/coletassoft
              http://twitter.com/coletassoft
              http://coletassoft.tumblr.com/
              http://coletassoft.deviantART.com

              JFGI | RTFM

            • Aldo Hoeben
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 5, 2011
                > For some reason I cannot get the browser to go to full screen
                > from the pano page (http://fieldofview.github.com/PTViewerNG/)

                I was starting to wonder if F11 to go fullscreen was removed from Chrome. Fixed it now, thanks.

                'do
              • Scott Witte
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6, 2011
                  The first link works great, the second,
                  http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html,
                  results in two errors messages:

                  1) ERROR:0:2 " :No precision specified for (float)
                  2) Could not initialize shaders

                  I get the same errors when following the link to High resolution example
                  <http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/%7Edersch/PTViewerNG/sv.html>.

                  Running Windows 7 64 bit, Chrome 9.0.597.84

                  Scott

                  On 2/4/2011 3:22 AM, Aldo Hoeben wrote:
                  > Chrome just autoupdated itself to version 9.something.
                  >
                  > Chrome 9 is the first stable (ie: non-beta) browser to include WebGL support. The dawn of a new era of html5 viewers (that are not apple-only) is upon us ;-)
                  >
                  > All praise Helmut Dersch who released the first WebGL panorama viewer more than a year ago!
                  > http://files.fieldofview.com/temp/ptvng/
                  > (updated from Helmut's original, after the WebGL spec changed:
                  > http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html )
                  >
                  > 'do

                  Scott Witte

                  <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                  <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                  414.345.9660
                  Member, IVRPA

                • Jan Martin
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6, 2011
                    Hi Scott,

                    the links you post are to PTViewerNG versions that do not work with the
                    latest webGL implementation anymore. (They changed the webGL
                    implementation.)

                    The pages need to be updated By Prof. Dr. Dersch.

                    Jan

                    On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Scott Witte <scottw@...> wrote:

                    > The first link works great, the second,
                    > http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html,
                    > results in two errors messages:
                    >
                    > 1) ERROR:0:2 " :No precision specified for (float)
                    > 2) Could not initialize shaders
                    >
                    > I get the same errors when following the link to High resolution example
                    > <http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/%7Edersch/PTViewerNG/sv.html>.
                    >
                    > Running Windows 7 64 bit, Chrome 9.0.597.84
                    >
                    > Scott
                    >

                    > On 2/4/2011 3:22 AM, Aldo Hoeben wrote:
                    > > Chrome just autoupdated itself to version 9.something.
                    > >
                    > > Chrome 9 is the first stable (ie: non-beta) browser to include WebGL
                    > support. The dawn of a new era of html5 viewers (that are not apple-only) is
                    > upon us ;-)
                    > >
                    > > All praise Helmut Dersch who released the first WebGL panorama viewer
                    > more than a year ago!
                    > > http://files.fieldofview.com/temp/ptvng/
                    > > (updated from Helmut's original, after the WebGL spec changed:
                    > > http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html )
                    > >
                    > > 'do

                    > Scott Witte
                    >
                    > <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                    > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                    > 414.345.9660
                    > Member, IVRPA

                  • Andrew Nemeth
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 6, 2011
                      On 07/02/2011, at 12:39 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                      > 3a. Re: Chrome 9 with WebGL has been released
                      > Posted by: "Aldo Hoeben" aldo@... ahoeben41
                      > Date: Sat Feb 5, 2011 8:29 am ((PST))
                      >
                      > I have created a github project for PTViewerNG:
                      >
                      > in action:
                      > http://fieldofview.github.com/PTViewerNG/
                      > src/download:
                      > http://github.com/fieldofview/PTViewerNG/
                      >
                      > I have fixed the - key on chrome, added A/Z and Shift/Control zooming, and a first stab at "fullscreen" functionality (use the F key).
                      >
                      > Note that this is still mostly Helmut Dersch' work.
                      > Have fun...

                      This is fantastic. Finally a HTML5 friendly VR viewing solution which works cross-browser (ahem, for the latest browsers that is).

                      WebGL doesn't work with IOS devices yet (iphone, ipad etc.), but surely it is only a matter of time...

                      A quick Q - is there a way to limit the up/down pan range? That way we could use PTViewerNG to also display limited FOVy panos, such as those derived from cylindrical panoramas (after conversion to cube-faces of course).

                      Andrew N.
                      http://nemeng.com/
                      Blue Mountains, Australia
                    • Jim Watters
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 8, 2011
                        Check out Google's home page.
                        http://www.google.com

                        I have been told that with Chrome it uses the accelerometer.

                        --
                        Jim Watters
                        http://photocreations.ca