Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

  • Bostjan Burger
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 2, 2011
      Now I can see...I didn't see the image in my mailbox but in the "nabble.com".

      Bostjan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 2, 2011
        Bostjan,

        Is a custom build machine, that we made late last year and is based around two Intel XEON X5650 processors and EVGA Classified SR-2 mainboard.

        this is the only Dual Xeon mainboard that can be overclocked, that I know off. From an Xtreme computing point of view is conservatively configured :-)
        as I have only gone with the middle of the range CPU's and also only filled half the ram slots up ;-) so there is room for improvements here

        2ndly I have spend the better part of the last 6 month in particular talking to people on the Autopano Forum, debating back and forth what makes pano making
        tick. I do retouching for a living (surviving, it isn't a living :-), just a bad life style ).

        from this i concluded that, PTGUI and AUTOPANO, are taxing CPU. RAM and I/O operations, and to a lessor extend the GPU.

        My own experience with my two other computers, one Dual Opteron (2x2cores @2.66Ghz) and one Intel Extreme Q6700 4core @2.66, both 8gb of ram
        that these were just not enough for the kind of pano's that I were making. It took too long time to produce and experiment with.
        My two old computers are similar spec'ed and within 10-20% speed difference, the Dual Opteron being that bit faster but also have two processors
        gave a better feel when working with multiple applications, as we do when we make panos, or at least in my workflow.

        The conclusion on this is that I believe that a Dual or Multi-processor system to be a better choice for higher performance then a single processor system.
        One of the reason being twice the CPU power, but also that you can have more ram and generally they are build to workstation/enterprise standards.

        I think uptil recently harddrive speed have been the overlooked bottleneck, and adding SSD's to your system certainly helps, but adding many SSD's in RAID-0's
        helps even more.

        Now, some will argue that the can build a single processor like the i7 or Sandy Bridge that is almost as fast or even faster at half the cost - maybe they can. I am
        still confident that the Dual Processor approach is a better overall choice for what we do - making pano's

        If you want the shopping list here you go

        2x Intel X5650 CPU
        2x Corsair A-70 CPU COOLER
        1x EVGA SR-2 mainboard
        6x 8GB Kingston ECC DDR3 1333 RAM
        1x ASUS GTX-460 1GB GPU
        2x Corsair Force F120 SSD
        3x ARAM Ultra II 60GB SSD
        4x WD Black Caviar 1TB HDD
        1x Antec 1200w PSU
        1x Lian Li PC-V2120B Case

        2x IBM M1015 SAS/SATA HBA Controllers

        the plan is that I will eventually add more SSD's in RAID's to increase the speed

        I have an additional 9TB HDD hanging off in JBOD and I still have 8 channels left on one controller

        After you have gotten all the parts you will need to work out how to overclock it :-) and there you have it

        I hope this is of some help - its 6-9months of research in a brief email

        Henrik

        Henrik Tived

        On Thu Feb 3 14:29 , 'Bostjan Burger [via PanoToolsNG]' sent:

        Tived,

        would you please provide a link or the explanation what beast is FARMOR?

        Bostjan

        ________________________________
        I ran it again, this time I did a fresh restart, i did take screen shots of
        it, into photoshop

        I was for short periods hitting high 90s and I think the ram usage went up
        to 27gb

        my time this time was

        Batch Stitcher started on FARMOR at 12:45:10.12
        and ended at 12:49:20.03

        12:49:20.03
        12:45:10.12
        00:04:09.51

        http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/file/n3257202/Speedtest_Fisheye_Tived4.gif

        If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below: http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/PTGui-Speedtest-for-Fisheye-Images-tp3253089p3257323.html
        To unsubscribe from PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images, click here .

        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 3, 2011
          Hello Berhard,

          thanks for your test archive. On my stitching system the result is:

          ---
          Batch Stitcher started on MIRACLE-MONSTER at 22:14:40,09
          and ended at 22:30:34,14
          --

          That's 15:54,05 in total.

          The system:
          i7 920 (@ 2,66 GHz) running Win7 Ultimate (64 bit)
          12 GB RAM
          120 GB SSD (system disk, but every file was also on this disk)

          No dedicated scratch disk.

          Best regards

          Panotwin Juergen
        • Tived
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 3, 2011
            Blaise,

            that is a really nice result with the new Sandy.

            Could you link to what is Bernhard's workflow, I would really like to see if
            I can improve on what I do

            thanks

            Henrik
          • Tived

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 3, 2011
                Henrik,

                Yes, I was also impressed how good the new i7 is. And this setup is not too
                much expensive either.

                I was mainly referring to that whether it is a good idea to let PTgui make
                the exposure fusion. And I think that it is not bad if you have a good hw
                for that.
                I have also made my version quickly:
                http://balazs.tudos.hu/Pano/speedtest_fisheye_noflare.html
                http://balazs.tudos.hu/Pano/speedtest_fisheye_noflare.html

                The reason Hans could not make a decent fusion with PTgui was that the
                "Optimize flare" function boosts contrast and reduces the shadow detail. You
                have to generally switch that off. I do not use it, but it was not easy to
                discover the problem as I have already forgot about that switch.

                And smartblend delivers generally better results here as well. The PTgui
                blend is containing some errors, which is missing from the smartblend
                version:
                http://balazs.tudos.hu/Pano/Blend.jpg http://balazs.tudos.hu/Pano/Blend.jpg
                This is of course not tragical.
                But interestingly even some details of the exposure fusion are looking
                better with smartblend.

                regards,
                Balazs
              • Tived
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 3, 2011
                  Blaise,

                  I think I need to know more about setting up PTGui, in order to get the most
                  out of it. I am clearly lacking some knowledge here.

                  Is there a link here somewhere with recommanded settings?

                  thanks

                  Henrik
                • Bostjan Burger
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 3, 2011
                    Henrik,

                    thanks for a detailed explanation. Your PC is much more faster than my mobile
                    PCs... I mostly use PCs in diffeent locations daily, even stiching. Since last
                    summer I use 5DMK2+15 mm HDR stiching and about 15 panos a day and my laptops
                    were enought to do the job but now I am starting a project where I will use as a
                    standard 5DM2+50 mm HDR, that are 1.25 Gigapixels and the stiching is extremely
                    slow even using the Hans method with enblend. I need to build a "beast" for
                    myself too.

                    :) Bostjan

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 3, 2011
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

                      > While i feel honored that many people use the "PTGui Speedtest" files to
                      > assess their hardware configuration, i was rightly criticized that it
                      > doesn't fit everyday needs to stitch fisheye images. So i thought it
                      > could be a good idea to provide an additional test set:

                      thank you for putting this together!

                      > The test is 99% bound to your CPU and RAM resources and takes
                      > approx. 15 minutes on a decent machine.

                      i must have an "indecent" machine, then:
                      Batch Stitcher started at 11:28:33.62
                      and ended at 14:13:00.00
                      that's over 2 hours and 44 minutes, if my math is rite...

                      intel core2 6600@2.4ghz 4gb ram
                      win xp32 sp3 3gb switch
                      old fashioned sata hdds

                      could be interesting as an anchor point...

                      cheers,
                      pedro
                    • Blaise
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 3, 2011
                        I can only recommend all the useful Tutorials, FAQs and documentation you can find on the PTgui site. And of course this and the the PTgui Group for a lot of discussion archives. And I don't think there was anything like recommended settings. Every workflow and task is different and we did not even mention taste.
                        Balazs

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 3, 2011
                          Thanks to all for sending me so many results on- and offlist! This is a
                          good base for me to estimate a better "standard" and provide some basic
                          tipps based on the result. I'll put something online in a few days.
                          It's a little surprise for me that - despite the clever memory
                          management of PTGui - 8GB are still not enough to stay mostly in
                          memory. Everyone who is near or above 1 hour for the stitch doesn't
                          have necessarily a slow machine but did hit the memory ceiling and
                          started swapping to disk.

                          Regarding the workflow: For panoramas that have very distinguishable
                          areas of different brightness (like the sample panorma with the door
                          opening in the background) - for those who don't feel very compfort with
                          HDR tone mapping, the layer painting method is a good alternative.
                          There as a very old tutorial which would urgently need a brush up, but
                          the method is still valid:
                          http://wiki.panotools.org/A_simple_approach_to_HDR-blending

                          Best regards
                          Bernhard