Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

  • Bernhard Vogl
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 2, 2011
      Hello Matt,

      Thanks for the results! Your 50% CPU load is an unexpected result _if_ you talk about real CPU cores and not hyperthreading. IF you have hyperthreading enabled, you will never be able to go above 50% (lenghty to explain, tell me if i should).
      With your RAM configuration there is certainly no disk bottleneck.

      Still - with 8 cores and 24GB i would expect a shorter stitching time, certainly something you may have a closer look ;-)
      Pls. feel free to contact me off list if you want to investigate that in detail with me... :-)

      Best regards
      Bernhard

      -------- Original-Nachricht --------

    • Tived
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 2, 2011
        thanks Bernhard,

        i will give it a try as soon as i get home. it will be interesting to see
        how this one differes from the other test.

        i am sorry to hear people have been complaining about the test - after all
        they just give you an indication of how your current computer fares. and
        then one can compare it to others if you are not happy with the result and
        see what it takes to go faster, then plan your next computer with similar
        specs.

        I think that this is a very helpful tool, in the decision process of both
        how the hard and software fares in a given combination. this also helps the
        developers I would think.

        thanks

        Henrik
      • Hans
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 2, 2011
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

          > While i feel honored that many people use the "PTGui Speedtest" files to
          > assess their hardware configuration, i was rightly criticized that it
          > doesn't fit everyday needs to stitch fisheye images. So i thought it
          > could be a good idea to provide an additional test set:
          >
          > The following set consists of 14*5 images (bracketed) with a 16mm
          > fisheye - resulting in a 14000*7000 panorama:
          > http://hdview.at/speedtest/speedtest_fisheye.zip

          Here is my test.
          Computer iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram - Standard Hardisc 7200RPM

          Warping 22 min, blend 4.20,fusion 6.30 in ALL: 32.50

          But of course I would never use PTgui this way.
          It is waist of time and the fusing quality is not at all as good as you can get by using Enfuse before the stitch.

          Here is how I do it.
          Enfusing 14 x 5 images Time 1min 50sec.
          Total time used including importing enfused images in PTgui, generating controlpoints ,optimizing and stitch: 9 minutes.

          When you compare the 9 min to the 32.50 doing it all in PTgui you should also ad at least 5 min to setup the Pano and optimize it including the exposure fusion setup.
          Here are the 2 panos:
          http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/speedtest_fisheye/

          I tried to do my own Exposure fusion correction in Ptgui to see if I could get the same quality in the shadows but I could not get it.
          Both are very poserized due to the high compression of the jpgs.

          Hans

          > Usage instructions:
          > Download ZIP file (30mb) and unpack in any folder.
          > Windows users can simply start the provided "_runme_ptgui.cmd" file. It
          > will start the job and print the timing information.
          > Mac users will need to run the .pts file and a stopwatch, but i would be
          > happy if someone could provide me with something that has the same
          > functionality.
          >
          > A word of warning:
          > The test is 99% bound to your CPU and RAM resources and takes approx. 15
          > minutes on a decent machine. If you are low on RAM, it may take much,
          > much longer! (on my computer PTGui took up to 12GB of RAM during the test).
          >
          > I would love to get some feedback about usefulnes and potential
          > improvements of this test!
          >
          > Best regards
          > Bernhard

        • Bernhard Vogl
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 2, 2011
            Hello Hans,

            Thank you for running the test and also for your valuable considerations!
            Maybe some beginners on this list could misunderstand the given project
            as a learning aid, so i want to emphasize what Hans said and add some
            more information:
            1) (For me,) a "standard bracketed panorama" consists of 3 shots that
            are 2 EV apart. My Nikon can only shoot 5 images with1 EV apart. The 2
            other sets can be safely taken out because they contain redundant
            information. This would not only reduce stitching speed (e.g. on my
            computer from 15min to 9min) but also make the fusing process much
            easier and more control-able!
            2) 2 rows at -20 and +30 degrees are not necessary for 16mm fisheyes on
            a fullframe camera (or a 10mm on 1.5 crop). 1 row and 2 zenith images
            are enough.

            Best regards
            Bernhard

            > Here is my test.
            > Computer iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram - Standard Hardisc 7200RPM
            >
            > Warping 22 min, blend 4.20,fusion 6.30 in ALL: 32.50
            >
            > But of course I would never use PTgui this way.
            > It is waist of time and the fusing quality is not at all as good as you can get by using Enfuse before the stitch.
            >
            > Here is how I do it.
            > Enfusing 14 x 5 images Time 1min 50sec.
            > Total time used including importing enfused images in PTgui, generating controlpoints ,optimizing and stitch: 9 minutes.
            >
            > When you compare the 9 min to the 32.50 doing it all in PTgui you should also ad at least 5 min to setup the Pano and optimize it including the exposure fusion setup.
            > Here are the 2 panos:
            > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/speedtest_fisheye/
            >
            > I tried to do my own Exposure fusion correction in Ptgui to see if I could get the same quality in the shadows but I could not get it.
            > Both are very poserized due to the high compression of the jpgs.
            >
            > Hans
            >

            >> Usage instructions:
            >> Download ZIP file (30mb) and unpack in any folder.
            >> Windows users can simply start the provided "_runme_ptgui.cmd" file. It
            >> will start the job and print the timing information.
            >> Mac users will need to run the .pts file and a stopwatch, but i would be
            >> happy if someone could provide me with something that has the same
            >> functionality.
            >>
            >> A word of warning:
            >> The test is 99% bound to your CPU and RAM resources and takes approx. 15
            >> minutes on a decent machine. If you are low on RAM, it may take much,
            >> much longer! (on my computer PTGui took up to 12GB of RAM during the test).
            >>
            >> I would love to get some feedback about usefulnes and potential
            >> improvements of this test!
            >>
            >> Best regards
            >> Bernhard
            >>

            > ------------------------------------

          • Marc Huff
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 2, 2011
              Batch Stitcher started on SMILODON at 15:42:51.16
              and ended at 15:55:03.19

              12 minutes, 12 seconds.

              Self-built i7 auto-overclocked to 2.8 GHz, 12 GB RAM, two 450 mb/s
              read/write 60GB SSDs set at RAID 0 as OS and scratch... with a spindle drive
              as backup that I don't think it used... couldn't have with that time.

              _Marc Huff

            • Tived
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 2, 2011
                Hi Bernhard,

                here is my result, I am sure I can improve on it

                Batch Stitcher started on FARMOR at 12:05:47.89
                and ended at 12:10:03.70

                i'll let you do the math. using the same machine I did on the precious test
                @ 3.8Ghz MCG Technology

                henrik
              • Tived
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 2, 2011
                  Hi Bernhard,

                  I ran it again, this time I did a fresh restart, i did take screen shots of
                  it, into photoshop

                  I was for short periods hitting high 90s and I think the ram usage went up
                  to 27gb

                  my time this time was

                  Batch Stitcher started on FARMOR at 12:45:10.12
                  and ended at 12:49:20.03

                  12:49:20.03
                  12:45:10.12
                  00:04:09.51

                  http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/file/n3257202/Speedtest_Fisheye_Tived4.gif
                • Bostjan Burger
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 2, 2011
                    Tived,

                    would you please provide a link or the explanation what beast is FARMOR?

                    Bostjan

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 2, 2011
                      isn't that visable in the image?

                      Henrik Tived

                      On Thu Feb 3 14:29 , 'Bostjan Burger [via PanoToolsNG]' sent:

                      Tived,

                      would you please provide a link or the explanation what beast is FARMOR?

                      Bostjan

                      ________________________________
                      I ran it again, this time I did a fresh restart, i did take screen shots of
                      it, into photoshop

                      I was for short periods hitting high 90s and I think the ram usage went up
                      to 27gb

                      my time this time was

                      Batch Stitcher started on FARMOR at 12:45:10.12
                      and ended at 12:49:20.03

                      12:49:20.03
                      12:45:10.12
                      00:04:09.51

                      http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/file/n3257202/Speedtest_Fisheye_Tived4.gif

                      If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below: http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/PTGui-Speedtest-for-Fisheye-Images-tp3253089p3257323.html
                      To unsubscribe from PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images, click here .

                    • Bostjan Burger
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 2, 2011
                        Now I can see...I didn't see the image in my mailbox but in the "nabble.com".

                        Bostjan

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 2, 2011
                          Bostjan,

                          Is a custom build machine, that we made late last year and is based around two Intel XEON X5650 processors and EVGA Classified SR-2 mainboard.

                          this is the only Dual Xeon mainboard that can be overclocked, that I know off. From an Xtreme computing point of view is conservatively configured :-)
                          as I have only gone with the middle of the range CPU's and also only filled half the ram slots up ;-) so there is room for improvements here

                          2ndly I have spend the better part of the last 6 month in particular talking to people on the Autopano Forum, debating back and forth what makes pano making
                          tick. I do retouching for a living (surviving, it isn't a living :-), just a bad life style ).

                          from this i concluded that, PTGUI and AUTOPANO, are taxing CPU. RAM and I/O operations, and to a lessor extend the GPU.

                          My own experience with my two other computers, one Dual Opteron (2x2cores @2.66Ghz) and one Intel Extreme Q6700 4core @2.66, both 8gb of ram
                          that these were just not enough for the kind of pano's that I were making. It took too long time to produce and experiment with.
                          My two old computers are similar spec'ed and within 10-20% speed difference, the Dual Opteron being that bit faster but also have two processors
                          gave a better feel when working with multiple applications, as we do when we make panos, or at least in my workflow.

                          The conclusion on this is that I believe that a Dual or Multi-processor system to be a better choice for higher performance then a single processor system.
                          One of the reason being twice the CPU power, but also that you can have more ram and generally they are build to workstation/enterprise standards.

                          I think uptil recently harddrive speed have been the overlooked bottleneck, and adding SSD's to your system certainly helps, but adding many SSD's in RAID-0's
                          helps even more.

                          Now, some will argue that the can build a single processor like the i7 or Sandy Bridge that is almost as fast or even faster at half the cost - maybe they can. I am
                          still confident that the Dual Processor approach is a better overall choice for what we do - making pano's

                          If you want the shopping list here you go

                          2x Intel X5650 CPU
                          2x Corsair A-70 CPU COOLER
                          1x EVGA SR-2 mainboard
                          6x 8GB Kingston ECC DDR3 1333 RAM
                          1x ASUS GTX-460 1GB GPU
                          2x Corsair Force F120 SSD
                          3x ARAM Ultra II 60GB SSD
                          4x WD Black Caviar 1TB HDD
                          1x Antec 1200w PSU
                          1x Lian Li PC-V2120B Case

                          2x IBM M1015 SAS/SATA HBA Controllers

                          the plan is that I will eventually add more SSD's in RAID's to increase the speed

                          I have an additional 9TB HDD hanging off in JBOD and I still have 8 channels left on one controller

                          After you have gotten all the parts you will need to work out how to overclock it :-) and there you have it

                          I hope this is of some help - its 6-9months of research in a brief email

                          Henrik

                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 3, 2011
                            Hello Berhard,

                            thanks for your test archive. On my stitching system the result is:

                            ---
                            Batch Stitcher started on MIRACLE-MONSTER at 22:14:40,09
                            and ended at 22:30:34,14
                            --

                            That's 15:54,05 in total.

                            The system:
                            i7 920 (@ 2,66 GHz) running Win7 Ultimate (64 bit)
                            12 GB RAM
                            120 GB SSD (system disk, but every file was also on this disk)

                            No dedicated scratch disk.

                            Best regards

                            Panotwin Juergen
                          • Tived
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 3, 2011
                              Blaise,

                              that is a really nice result with the new Sandy.

                              Could you link to what is Bernhard's workflow, I would really like to see if
                              I can improve on what I do

                              thanks

                              Henrik
                            • Tived

                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 3, 2011
                                  Henrik,

                                  Yes, I was also impressed how good the new i7 is. And this setup is not too
                                  much expensive either.

                                  I was mainly referring to that whether it is a good idea to let PTgui make
                                  the exposure fusion. And I think that it is not bad if you have a good hw
                                  for that.
                                  I have also made my version quickly:
                                  http://balazs.tudos.hu/Pano/speedtest_fisheye_noflare.html
                                  http://balazs.tudos.hu/Pano/speedtest_fisheye_noflare.html

                                  The reason Hans could not make a decent fusion with PTgui was that the
                                  "Optimize flare" function boosts contrast and reduces the shadow detail. You
                                  have to generally switch that off. I do not use it, but it was not easy to
                                  discover the problem as I have already forgot about that switch.

                                  And smartblend delivers generally better results here as well. The PTgui
                                  blend is containing some errors, which is missing from the smartblend
                                  version:
                                  http://balazs.tudos.hu/Pano/Blend.jpg http://balazs.tudos.hu/Pano/Blend.jpg
                                  This is of course not tragical.
                                  But interestingly even some details of the exposure fusion are looking
                                  better with smartblend.

                                  regards,
                                  Balazs
                                • Tived
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 3, 2011
                                    Blaise,

                                    I think I need to know more about setting up PTGui, in order to get the most
                                    out of it. I am clearly lacking some knowledge here.

                                    Is there a link here somewhere with recommanded settings?

                                    thanks

                                    Henrik
                                  • Bostjan Burger
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 3, 2011
                                      Henrik,

                                      thanks for a detailed explanation. Your PC is much more faster than my mobile
                                      PCs... I mostly use PCs in diffeent locations daily, even stiching. Since last
                                      summer I use 5DMK2+15 mm HDR stiching and about 15 panos a day and my laptops
                                      were enought to do the job but now I am starting a project where I will use as a
                                      standard 5DM2+50 mm HDR, that are 1.25 Gigapixels and the stiching is extremely
                                      slow even using the Hans method with enblend. I need to build a "beast" for
                                      myself too.

                                      :) Bostjan

                                      ________________________________

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 3, 2011
                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

                                        > While i feel honored that many people use the "PTGui Speedtest" files to
                                        > assess their hardware configuration, i was rightly criticized that it
                                        > doesn't fit everyday needs to stitch fisheye images. So i thought it
                                        > could be a good idea to provide an additional test set:

                                        thank you for putting this together!

                                        > The test is 99% bound to your CPU and RAM resources and takes
                                        > approx. 15 minutes on a decent machine.

                                        i must have an "indecent" machine, then:
                                        Batch Stitcher started at 11:28:33.62
                                        and ended at 14:13:00.00
                                        that's over 2 hours and 44 minutes, if my math is rite...

                                        intel core2 6600@2.4ghz 4gb ram
                                        win xp32 sp3 3gb switch
                                        old fashioned sata hdds

                                        could be interesting as an anchor point...

                                        cheers,
                                        pedro
                                      • Blaise
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 3, 2011
                                          I can only recommend all the useful Tutorials, FAQs and documentation you can find on the PTgui site. And of course this and the the PTgui Group for a lot of discussion archives. And I don't think there was anything like recommended settings. Every workflow and task is different and we did not even mention taste.
                                          Balazs

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 3, 2011
                                            Thanks to all for sending me so many results on- and offlist! This is a
                                            good base for me to estimate a better "standard" and provide some basic
                                            tipps based on the result. I'll put something online in a few days.
                                            It's a little surprise for me that - despite the clever memory
                                            management of PTGui - 8GB are still not enough to stay mostly in
                                            memory. Everyone who is near or above 1 hour for the stitch doesn't
                                            have necessarily a slow machine but did hit the memory ceiling and
                                            started swapping to disk.

                                            Regarding the workflow: For panoramas that have very distinguishable
                                            areas of different brightness (like the sample panorma with the door
                                            opening in the background) - for those who don't feel very compfort with
                                            HDR tone mapping, the layer painting method is a good alternative.
                                            There as a very old tutorial which would urgently need a brush up, but
                                            the method is still valid:
                                            http://wiki.panotools.org/A_simple_approach_to_HDR-blending

                                            Best regards
                                            Bernhard