iPhone4 gyro in krpano

  • Aldo Hoeben
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2011
      I've created a bit of javascript glue to allow the iPhone4/iPod Touch 4g/iPad2 gyroscope to control the krpano "html5" viewer.

      demo:
      http://fieldofview.com/panoramas/winter-pictura
      (or any other panorama on http://fieldofview.com/panoramas)

      src/download:
      https://github.com/fieldOfView/krpano_gyro

      The script uses devicemotion events to control the panorama, but this can be overridden with normal touch control. When you release the panorama, viewing reverts back to devicemotion control.

      More on the use of the plugin and its current limitations here:
      http://krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=4338

      Aldo
      http://fieldofview.com
    • afrenyo
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2, 2011
        slick.
        thank you.

        > I've created a bit of javascript glue to allow the iPhone4/iPod Touch 4g/iPad2 gyroscope to control the krpano "html5" viewer.
        >
        > demo:
        > http://fieldofview.com/panoramas/winter-pictura
        > (or any other panorama on http://fieldofview.com/panoramas)
        >
        > src/download:
        > https://github.com/fieldOfView/krpano_gyro
        >
        > The script uses devicemotion events to control the panorama, but this can be overridden with normal touch control. When you release the panorama, viewing reverts back to devicemotion control.
        >
        > More on the use of the plugin and its current limitations here:
        > http://krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=4338
        >
        > Aldo
        > http://fieldofview.com

      • Douglas Cape
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2, 2011
          Hi Aldo

          That's Great!!
          Your Demos work a treat...

          Will update some panos to test
          -------------------
          Douglas Cape
          Director of Photography Z360
          http://www.z360.com
        • Aldo Hoeben
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
            "Tap.. tap... is this thing on? Tough crowd."

            I'm trying not to sound petty, but I am wondering why there is so little response. I was pretty chuffed I got this together...

            Perhaps it is because it is iphone4 only and you are all stuck with previous gen iphones? Is the iphone4 market among panorama photographers that small currently?

            It could be that the idea of being able to look around in a panorama in the browser by rotating the phone is just not that interesting (anymore)?

            Is it worth developing this further?

            'do

            > I've created a bit of javascript glue to allow the iPhone4/iPod
            > Touch 4g/iPad2 gyroscope to control the krpano "html5" viewer.
            >
            > demo:
            > http://fieldofview.com/panoramas/winter-pictura
            > (or any other panorama on http://fieldofview.com/panoramas)
            >
            > src/download:
            > https://github.com/fieldOfView/krpano_gyro
          • Hans
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011

              > "Tap.. tap... is this thing on? Tough crowd."
              >
              > I'm trying not to sound petty, but I am wondering why there is so little response. I was pretty chuffed I got this together...
              >
              > Perhaps it is because it is iphone4 only and you are all stuck with previous gen iphones? Is the iphone4 market among panorama photographers that small currently?
              >
              > It could be that the idea of being able to look around in a panorama in the browser by rotating the phone is just not that interesting (anymore)?
              >
              > Is it worth developing this further?

              What is the difference with this and the functions that makes it work with the Tour Wrist in my current iPad.

              Personally I find the idea of doing it fun but absolutely unuseful for anything but to make fun of it. But of course that is not the worst thing to do if you want to impress a client.

              Hans

              > 'do
              >

              > > I've created a bit of javascript glue to allow the iPhone4/iPod
              > > Touch 4g/iPad2 gyroscope to control the krpano "html5" viewer.
              > >
              > > demo:
              > > http://fieldofview.com/panoramas/winter-pictura
              > > (or any other panorama on http://fieldofview.com/panoramas)
              > >
              > > src/download:
              > > https://github.com/fieldOfView/krpano_gyro

            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
                On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 19:00:19 +0900, Aldo Hoeben <aldo@...> wrote:

                > "Tap.. tap... is this thing on? Tough crowd."
                >
                > I'm trying not to sound petty, but I am wondering why there is so little
                > response. I was pretty chuffed I got this together...
                >
                > Perhaps it is because it is iphone4 only and you are all stuck with
                > previous gen iphones? Is the iphone4 market among panorama photographers
                > that small currently?

                Well, that was the only reason I didn't comment. I have a 3G iPhone, and
                am sad that I cannot take advantage of your work. In or shortly before
                May I will upgrade to an iPhone 4, and my wife will get her promised
                iPad. Then we will see.

                I am sure you wouldn't be "petty" and ditch the whole experiment just
                because there wasn't much reaction here. Right? Right??? I mean, there is
                a whole UNIVERSE of iPhone 4 users out there who would love this if they
                ever encountered it!

                > It could be that the idea of being able to look around in a panorama in
                > the browser by rotating the phone is just not that interesting (anymore)?

                No, it's brilliant! Talk about "intuitive." Wow!!

                > Is it worth developing this further?

                Only you can decide that... But I can tell you it is encouraging me to
                take the plunge and get into using KRpano.

                Roger W.

                --
                Work: www.adex-japan.com
                Pano: Rogerama on Photosynth
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
                  Great work Aldo, as always!

                  Same here with the iPhone 3GS however and no iPad 2 either ;-)

                  Why not offer it on the KRPano forum, that is where the target users are I
                  guess!
                • Aldo Hoeben
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
                    > What is the difference with this and the functions that makes it
                    > work with the Tour Wrist in my current iPad.

                    It works in the browser. No app to download.

                    > Personally I find the idea of doing it fun but absolutely unuseful
                    > for anything but to make fun of it.

                    I can see your point, which is why I still allow manual panning. However the gyroscope viewing has one distinct advantage; it makes the panorama instantly dynamic. Noone holds their phone so steady that they don't notice that the "image" moves when they do. This sets it apart from adding autopan to a panorama, which to some gives the idea that the panorama is a linear movie.
                  • Ian Wood
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
                      On 3 Feb 2011, at 10:00, Aldo Hoeben wrote:

                      > Perhaps it is because it is iphone4 only and you are all stuck with previous gen iphones?

                      That's my situation, eeking out a 3G until the summer. I just couldn't justify an iPad *and* a new high-end phone in the same year.

                      > It could be that the idea of being able to look around in a panorama in the browser by rotating the phone is just not that interesting (anymore)?

                      I liked the idea when you first showed it with your tablet, then I saw someone using TourWrist which put me off a lot. :-(

                      Ian
                    • Aldo Hoeben
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
                        > That's my situation, eeking out a 3G until the summer.

                        It looks like it should be possible to use the combination accelerometer + compass to achieve a similar type of control using pre-4 devices. Unfortunately the only way to get at the compass is to use the geolocation api, which will issue a "'this site' Would Like To Use Your Current Location [Don't Allow][OK]" question.

                        > I liked the idea when you first showed it with your tablet,

                        Thanks... Long ago ;-)

                        'do
                      • Douglas Cape
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
                          As you know I, for one, am well chuffed!

                          14 Node Tour of Bimbotown, Leipzig for Web, iPhone, iPad, Android
                          plus Aldo Hoeben's Gyro Control for iPhone4 :

                          http://www.z360.com/ifull/bimbo
                          -------------------
                          Douglas Cape
                          Director of Photography Z360
                          http://www.z360.com
                        • Bjørn K Nilssen
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
                            På Thu, 03 Feb 2011 11:00:19 +0100, skrev Aldo Hoeben <aldo@...>:

                            > "Tap.. tap... is this thing on? Tough crowd."
                            >
                            > I'm trying not to sound petty, but I am wondering why there is so little response. I was pretty chuffed I got this together...
                            >
                            > Perhaps it is because it is iphone4 only and you are all stuck with previous gen iphones? Is the iphone4 market among panorama photographers that small currently?

                            Some of us are "stuck" with Androids too, and have no intentions buying any Apple stuff ;)

                            OTOH I have Google Skymap on my phone, which is very useful/fun when looking around on the night sky to find specific stars/planets.
                            I can see your gyro panos as very useful for similar AR projects.
                            Are they using the compass correctly too, so that you could eventually be on a site (like a ruin?) and view on your phone how the building looked when still standing (3D model)?
                            Any Android version coming soon?
                            Would it be possible to view a partially transparent pano on a background showing the camera view?

                            --
                            Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
                          • Ian Wood
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
                              As far as I know, Chrome doesn't currently offer access to the same level of orientation tech in the device as Mobile Safari does.

                              Ian

                              P.S. In case my previous post wasn't clear, it's not Tour Wrist that I dislike but what people look when interacting with panoramas on a phone in that way.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
                                On 3 Feb 2011, at 17:48, Ian Wood wrote:

                                > what people look when interacting

                                Should of course be 'what people look like when interacting'... Doh.

                                Ian
                              • Aldo Hoeben
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
                                  > As far as I know, Chrome doesn't currently offer access to the same
                                  > level of orientation tech in the device as Mobile Safari does.

                                  Not yet perhaps, but that's only a matter of time; The events I use are part of the W3C geolocation spec:
                                  http://dev.w3.org/geo/api/spec-source-orientation.html

                                  Are there current Android models with gyroscopes on board?

                                  > P.S. In case my previous post wasn't clear, it's not Tour Wrist that
                                  > I dislike but what people look like when interacting with
                                  > panoramas on a phone in that way.

                                  Have you actually tried/seen it on a phone, as opposed to an ipad? I find there's a big difference in how this works between a device that fits in a single hand (like a phone) and a device you hold in front of you with two hands.
                                • Aldo Hoeben
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
                                    > I can see your gyro panos as very useful for similar AR projects.
                                    > Are they using the compass correctly too, so that you could

                                    (...)
                                    Unfortunately: no. It does not look like mobile safari has access to the compass (not even through the geolocation api I hinted at before).

                                    > Would it be possible to view a partially transparent pano on a
                                    > background showing the camera view?

                                    In an app: sure. In the browser: probably not.

                                    The point of what I released yesterday is not using gyroscopes to navigate panoramas (I used accelerometers and gyros to view panoramas on a tabletpc in 2005, and many iphone and android apps did similar things since then), but using the iphone gyroscope to navigate panoramas *in the browser*. Without an app download.