Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Future of VR Panoramas - WAS: Apple dropped QTVR

  • Ignacio Ferrando Margelí
    Message 1 of 56 , Feb 1, 2011
      Hello,

      I use "Spherical photography"... in spanish "fotograf�a esf�rica"

      :-))

      El 01/02/2011, a las 18:39, Hans escribi�:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Don Bain <dbain@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thank you , Hans, I was waiting for you to report. You have by far the best handle on this.
      > >
      > > Personally, I prefer "360 panoramas" to "VR panoramas", and maybe in this post-QTVR era, we are ready for a change. I think "panorama" is essential both because it appears in so many of our sites and because it describes one essential aspect of what we do. The 360 helps separate us from the traditional panoramic photographers. And both terms translate well.
      > >
      > > I am surprised how much the plural panoramas differs from just panorama, I expected Google would treat them the same. Also that QTVR is still so strong. But then, you are reporting the results of searches, not what search terms people are likely to use.
      > >
      > > Which is really the core issue - we want people who are looking for our sort of content to know how to get it in a search.
      > >
      > > My main concern is not people looking for VR panoramas in general, but when they want a 360 view of a particular place - that's my geographer background.
      > >
      > > Have you tried some searches that combine a place featured on panoramas.dk coupled with one of the media terms such as VR panoramas?
      > >
      > > I Googled "White Sands panoramas" and got my (very old) pano on panoramas.dk first, and the relevant page on VirtualGuidebooks second, so I like that.
      >
      > Yes combinations of many kinds are the key to Google.
      >
      > Here are the results for the last 4 months top 100 search words for panorama related keywords.
      > panoramas 1.942
      > panorama software 893
      > panorama 729
      > 360 panorama 505
      > panorama 360 480
      > qtvr software 434
      > panoramic view 418
      > 360 degree view 239
      > 3d panorama 217
      > panorama view 204
      > 360 degree panorama 196
      > 360 panoramas 184
      >
      > Now that was just as single keywords, here are the numbers containing some of them in combination with places for example "White Sands panoramas"
      > panorama + keyword 35,336 this is from 11,352 different combinations
      > panoramas + 11780 this is from 2353 different combinations
      > interactive + 541
      > virtual tour + 3246
      > qtvr + 2925
      >
      > But what really can give you traffic is if you can get up at the top 10 of some major destination.
      > I have been "on top of Mount Everest" since 2003 sometimes No 1 sometimes down at 7-8. At New year I thought I had lost it but a week later I was up as No 2 again.
      > mount everest 12.835 + mt everest 6,401 all everest combinations 40,674
      > Some other top searches where I am among the top 10
      > eiffel tower 3,263
      > man on the moon 1000
      > fastest rapper in the world 848
      >
      > If you do not reach the top 10 you will not get much from it.
> [...]

      Ignacio Ferrando Margel�

      Abaco Digital

      http://www.abaco-digital.com

    • Bostjan Burger
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 5, 2011
        My opinion is that we need to be exact with the use of terms. We know many types
        of panoramas from the geographical point of view, as social, economic, cultural
        panoramas. My daughters study music so they are familiar with musical panoramas…
        I am working with the physical geography and GIS and panorama means for me a
        visual perception of a landscape or a region. It is true; term panorama became
        popular when geographers started with crocs which represented the surrounding
        landscapes, often with 360°. That sketches were named panorama. Panorama is
        truly worldwide expression and recognizable in most of the modern languages.
        From that point of view I have no problem with using that term even in small
        rooms (even not logical in some cases of use…). So… panorama (not a vista as
        insitu view) is a flat 2D picture, photography of the landscape (urban or rural)
        or »other« scapes. Interactive panorama is something what we can move or is with
        hotspots. That what we do is the presentation of that flat 2D: paint, image,
        sketch, photography which represents panorama, on the screen. That presentation
        is with the projection algorithm which makes a mental illusion of the
        surrounding image like to be there. If someone say 360° panorama I can't be
        sure: is that a print or screen projection? Same is with interactive panorama –
        is it only interactive picture or is the illusion of the surrounding? With term
        Spherical panorama is same…is it a print, projection? What about cylinders?
        (Most of my panoramas from mountain tops are cylinders).

        But all is with the agreement and the consensuns with the use of terms. Let’s
        use something what is already recognizable but be exact: flat is flat and
        projection is a projection… Last decade I used term 360° panorama for a flat
        image like prints and Virtual Reality panorama for a projection of that same
        image on the screen.

        Bostjan