Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Apple dropped QTVR

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 56 , Feb 1, 2011
      På Tue, 01 Feb 2011 18:04:18 +0100, skrev David Palermo <davidpalermo@...>:

      > "David Palermo worked for Apple at the time and was gathering ideas for a major update to both QTVR and the Studio application. Ken Turkowski was on the technical side. They even had an in-house cubic stitcher which Ken demonstrated. But the project quietly died and David moved on."
      >
      > At that time Apple wanted me to focus on streaming video and not on QTVR. That decision was out of my hands. At the same time MetaCreations made me an offer to move to Santa Barbara and work for them as product manager for KPT Bryce (one of my favorite programs at the time!). So, I chose MetaCreations since Apple wasn't interested in QTVR. It's not really that they weren't interested. In 1999 Apple wasn't doing well at all. Yes, we had Steve Jobs back but the momentum from Apple past was still happening - too much inventory, way too many products, competing with PCs as well as Mac clones etc... Steve slashed a lot of products and really slimmed Apple down as far as products go. We were busy trying to compete with Microsoft and Real in the streaming video world. Ultimately Flash won that war!
      >
      > As for QTVR... it was left inside of QT but there was really no more development on it. Just maintenance. There was another QT product manager that came on board but I don't know how focused he was on QTVR if at all.
      >
      > I now use Flash and, sometimes Java. I don't remember the last time I made a VR using QuickTimeVR.
      >
      > I sometimes miss those good ol days!

      Don't we all ? ;)
      I guess that Flash won because it allows 3rd-party programmers to use it as a platform/environment?
      No need for us to rely on Adobe (or any other big monopoly company) to "fullfill our dreams"?

      BTW, whatever happened to MetaCreations after they sold out everything just to focus on VET with Viewpoint?
      VET just disappeared, although it was very nice and smooth?
      I really miss Canoma BTW - killed by Adobe!

      --
      Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
    • Bostjan Burger
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 5, 2011
        My opinion is that we need to be exact with the use of terms. We know many types
        of panoramas from the geographical point of view, as social, economic, cultural
        panoramas. My daughters study music so they are familiar with musical panoramas…
        I am working with the physical geography and GIS and panorama means for me a
        visual perception of a landscape or a region. It is true; term panorama became
        popular when geographers started with crocs which represented the surrounding
        landscapes, often with 360°. That sketches were named panorama. Panorama is
        truly worldwide expression and recognizable in most of the modern languages.
        From that point of view I have no problem with using that term even in small
        rooms (even not logical in some cases of use…). So… panorama (not a vista as
        insitu view) is a flat 2D picture, photography of the landscape (urban or rural)
        or »other« scapes. Interactive panorama is something what we can move or is with
        hotspots. That what we do is the presentation of that flat 2D: paint, image,
        sketch, photography which represents panorama, on the screen. That presentation
        is with the projection algorithm which makes a mental illusion of the
        surrounding image like to be there. If someone say 360° panorama I can't be
        sure: is that a print or screen projection? Same is with interactive panorama –
        is it only interactive picture or is the illusion of the surrounding? With term
        Spherical panorama is same…is it a print, projection? What about cylinders?
        (Most of my panoramas from mountain tops are cylinders).

        But all is with the agreement and the consensuns with the use of terms. Let’s
        use something what is already recognizable but be exact: flat is flat and
        projection is a projection… Last decade I used term 360° panorama for a flat
        image like prints and Virtual Reality panorama for a projection of that same
        image on the screen.

        Bostjan