Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: What about using a laser level for an artificial horizon?

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 34 , Feb 1, 2011
      Have you ever used a monopod?

      paul womack wrote:
      > Ken Warner wrote:
      >> Sorry but leveling the camera is not the solution.
      >
      > If you need to have the camera non-level (for some reason I don't understand)
      > you could level the camera, take a reference shot of (part of) the scene,
      > then re-set your camera as desired for the pano, and shoot away.
      >
      > During post processing the reference image can be used as the to set the angle
      > of the pano, either by eye, measuring, or control points.
      >
      > The reference image need not be part of the stitch.
      >
      > BugBear

    • paul womack
      Message 34 of 34 , Feb 2, 2011
        Ken Warner wrote:
        > [sigh] i mention monopods just to provoke your imagination. Tripods
        > also can move out of alignment during the shoot and as I have described
        > in other posts, shooting an anchor image is not always either
        > guaranteed to work or practical.

        Right - I wasn't suggesting an anchor image as part of the stitch.

        It you take a photograph with the camera level,
        you have a measure of the angle of the scene w.r.t gravity.

        If you like, the base edge of the image *IS* a reference level.

        After that, the camera/tripod can do what it likes.
        Since the orientation of some parts of the scene is a "known"

        BugBear