RE: [PanoToolsNG] 2.5 or 3.5 hard disk?

  • Mark D. Fink
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2011
      I'd say capacity was one factor. The biggest notebook drives I see at NewEgg
      are 1TB. Four of these in a RAID5 environment would effectively give you 3TB
      of storage, if I'm counting correctly on my fingers.

      Speed is another factor. The ones I saw were all 5200RPM vs. 7200RPM for
      similarly priced 3.5" drives. However, four 5200 drives in RAID5 would be
      faster than one 3TB 7200 drive, although more expensive overall.

      It's an interesting idea, especially since you have the space already. Maybe
      this would be a perfect scratch drive for Photoshop and stitching?

      Mark

      www.northernlight.net
      www.virtual-travels.com
      www.pinnacle-vr.com

    • Robert C. Fisher
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2011
        I would look for 2.5" Enterprise drives, better made and I saw some
        had issolation so they would not have vibration interaction problems.

        Cheers
        Robert C. Fisher
        VR Photography / Cinematography
        bob@...
        http://www.rcfisher.com
        Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

      • Tived
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2011
          you should be fine to do that, using a 4x craddle for 4x 2.5" drives. are you
          able to connect up an additional 4 drives, or will you need another
          controller card?

          Enterprise grade drives are always the prefered choice if it is HDD's

          I guess the question should be what will you be using those drives for? just
          store more data? or to RAID up 2 or 4 drives to improve the speed of your OS
          drive or Scratch/temp disk ??? any thoughts?

          Henrik

          PS : I find that my SSD's do not get very hot, so if there is no fan they
          should probably be ok, but cooling them would still be desirable.