Re: [PanoToolsNG] 2.5 or 3.5 hard disk?

  • Thomas Bredenfeld
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2011
      hi jeffrey!

      such a close packed hd stack can produce heat problems.

      here is some cooler stuff i found during my search for pimping my 2009
      mac pro with it's 4 hd's with two additional ssd's for system and
      photoshop scratch:

      http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MM352A52MP8/
      http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=79
      http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=114

      cheers
      thomas

      Am 01.02.11 15:17, schrieb Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net:
      > I've finally built my new pc. oh yeah :)
      >
      > there is a spare 5.25" bay (i'll resign myself to the fact that a dvd drive
      > will still be necessary for a couple more years - if nothing else than to
      > copy DVD's we get as gifts)
      >
      > now, is there any reason not to stick 4 notebook hard disks into one of
      > these and put it in the spare 5.25 bay?
      > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816119012
      >
      > is there any huge advantage of 3.5" hard disks over 2.5" hard disks? in my
      > case, 4x 3.5" disks simply won't fit in my box.
      >
      > thanks,
      > Jeffrey

    • Mark D. Fink
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2011
        I'd say capacity was one factor. The biggest notebook drives I see at NewEgg
        are 1TB. Four of these in a RAID5 environment would effectively give you 3TB
        of storage, if I'm counting correctly on my fingers.

        Speed is another factor. The ones I saw were all 5200RPM vs. 7200RPM for
        similarly priced 3.5" drives. However, four 5200 drives in RAID5 would be
        faster than one 3TB 7200 drive, although more expensive overall.

        It's an interesting idea, especially since you have the space already. Maybe
        this would be a perfect scratch drive for Photoshop and stitching?

        Mark

        www.northernlight.net
        www.virtual-travels.com
        www.pinnacle-vr.com

      • Robert C. Fisher
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2011
          I would look for 2.5" Enterprise drives, better made and I saw some
          had issolation so they would not have vibration interaction problems.

          Cheers
          Robert C. Fisher
          VR Photography / Cinematography
          bob@...
          http://www.rcfisher.com
          Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

        • Tived
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2011
            you should be fine to do that, using a 4x craddle for 4x 2.5" drives. are you
            able to connect up an additional 4 drives, or will you need another
            controller card?

            Enterprise grade drives are always the prefered choice if it is HDD's

            I guess the question should be what will you be using those drives for? just
            store more data? or to RAID up 2 or 4 drives to improve the speed of your OS
            drive or Scratch/temp disk ??? any thoughts?

            Henrik

            PS : I find that my SSD's do not get very hot, so if there is no fan they
            should probably be ok, but cooling them would still be desirable.