2.5 or 3.5 hard disk?

  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2011
      I've finally built my new pc. oh yeah :)

      there is a spare 5.25" bay (i'll resign myself to the fact that a dvd drive
      will still be necessary for a couple more years - if nothing else than to
      copy DVD's we get as gifts)

      now, is there any reason not to stick 4 notebook hard disks into one of
      these and put it in the spare 5.25 bay?
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816119012

      is there any huge advantage of 3.5" hard disks over 2.5" hard disks? in my
      case, 4x 3.5" disks simply won't fit in my box.

      thanks,
      Jeffrey

    • Thomas Bredenfeld
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2011
        hi jeffrey!

        such a close packed hd stack can produce heat problems.

        here is some cooler stuff i found during my search for pimping my 2009
        mac pro with it's 4 hd's with two additional ssd's for system and
        photoshop scratch:

        http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MM352A52MP8/
        http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=79
        http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=114

        cheers
        thomas

        Am 01.02.11 15:17, schrieb Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net:
        > I've finally built my new pc. oh yeah :)
        >
        > there is a spare 5.25" bay (i'll resign myself to the fact that a dvd drive
        > will still be necessary for a couple more years - if nothing else than to
        > copy DVD's we get as gifts)
        >
        > now, is there any reason not to stick 4 notebook hard disks into one of
        > these and put it in the spare 5.25 bay?
        > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816119012
        >
        > is there any huge advantage of 3.5" hard disks over 2.5" hard disks? in my
        > case, 4x 3.5" disks simply won't fit in my box.
        >
        > thanks,
        > Jeffrey

      • Mark D. Fink
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2011
          I'd say capacity was one factor. The biggest notebook drives I see at NewEgg
          are 1TB. Four of these in a RAID5 environment would effectively give you 3TB
          of storage, if I'm counting correctly on my fingers.

          Speed is another factor. The ones I saw were all 5200RPM vs. 7200RPM for
          similarly priced 3.5" drives. However, four 5200 drives in RAID5 would be
          faster than one 3TB 7200 drive, although more expensive overall.

          It's an interesting idea, especially since you have the space already. Maybe
          this would be a perfect scratch drive for Photoshop and stitching?

          Mark

          www.northernlight.net
          www.virtual-travels.com
          www.pinnacle-vr.com

        • Robert C. Fisher
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2011
            I would look for 2.5" Enterprise drives, better made and I saw some
            had issolation so they would not have vibration interaction problems.

            Cheers
            Robert C. Fisher
            VR Photography / Cinematography
            bob@...
            http://www.rcfisher.com
            Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

          • Tived
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2011
              you should be fine to do that, using a 4x craddle for 4x 2.5" drives. are you
              able to connect up an additional 4 drives, or will you need another
              controller card?

              Enterprise grade drives are always the prefered choice if it is HDD's

              I guess the question should be what will you be using those drives for? just
              store more data? or to RAID up 2 or 4 drives to improve the speed of your OS
              drive or Scratch/temp disk ??? any thoughts?

              Henrik

              PS : I find that my SSD's do not get very hot, so if there is no fan they
              should probably be ok, but cooling them would still be desirable.