Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Future of VR Panoramas - WAS: Apple dropped QTVR > VRP

  • Bostjan Burger
    Message 1 of 56 , Feb 1 2:29 AM
      I don't oppose to the term Interactive panorama but I have a second thought
      about it. Interactive panorama can be a flat panorama which is only scrolling
      left-right without the projection which gives the 'reality experience'. Here is
      the example which I don't say it gives a virtual reality experience and is not a
      Virtual Reality panorama, but it is only scrolling left-right interactive 360°
      panorama:
      http://www.kranjska-gora.si/index.php?r=panorama&picFile=pano-zim-ratece-vlecni-psi&l=sl
      . It is my 10 years old one and I used one of the very first flash 360°
      panoramas presentations in that time. This example was an exception as I used
      java and quick time ten years ago. (funny that that ski-centre still keeps that
      ten years old interactive panoramas on their web site even are oboslete and I
      suggested them to replace with the new virtual reality ones.
      Nowadays we don’t produce only interactive panoramas but the virtual reality
      panoramas which are visual projections of reality images, taken with camera or
      images taken from rendering from digital models of relief, on our screens which
      are displayed as a virtual reality images – panoramas or objects.

      :) Boštjan

      ________________________________
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 5 12:44 AM
        My opinion is that we need to be exact with the use of terms. We know many types
        of panoramas from the geographical point of view, as social, economic, cultural
        panoramas. My daughters study music so they are familiar with musical panoramas…
        I am working with the physical geography and GIS and panorama means for me a
        visual perception of a landscape or a region. It is true; term panorama became
        popular when geographers started with crocs which represented the surrounding
        landscapes, often with 360°. That sketches were named panorama. Panorama is
        truly worldwide expression and recognizable in most of the modern languages.
        From that point of view I have no problem with using that term even in small
        rooms (even not logical in some cases of use…). So… panorama (not a vista as
        insitu view) is a flat 2D picture, photography of the landscape (urban or rural)
        or »other« scapes. Interactive panorama is something what we can move or is with
        hotspots. That what we do is the presentation of that flat 2D: paint, image,
        sketch, photography which represents panorama, on the screen. That presentation
        is with the projection algorithm which makes a mental illusion of the
        surrounding image like to be there. If someone say 360° panorama I can't be
        sure: is that a print or screen projection? Same is with interactive panorama –
        is it only interactive picture or is the illusion of the surrounding? With term
        Spherical panorama is same…is it a print, projection? What about cylinders?
        (Most of my panoramas from mountain tops are cylinders).

        But all is with the agreement and the consensuns with the use of terms. Let’s
        use something what is already recognizable but be exact: flat is flat and
        projection is a projection… Last decade I used term 360° panorama for a flat
        image like prints and Virtual Reality panorama for a projection of that same
        image on the screen.

        Bostjan