Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Future of VR Panoramas - WAS: Apple dropped QTVR > VRP

  • Bostjan Burger
    Message 1 of 56 , Jan 31, 2011
      My goal to shot VRPs is to use them as an e-learning tool. From that point of
      view I needed to use Slovene as a prime language. When I started with VRPs I
      couldn't imagine how I can use a term 'panorama' of a cave or interior as a
      small room. I liked the Immersive image more, so I started to think what name
      would be fine in Slovenian language. Technically the base for a Virtual Reality
      Panorama is a 360° panorama which is a flat 2D image. After the conversion into
      the display on a screen we get the feeling of the space and mental projection of
      the 3D image. But it is still only a 2D which tricks our mental projection as
      that we are in the middle of the space which visual information is projected
      from our nodal point (or no parallax point).
      sounds strange? Right? I shot quite a number of object VRs (OVRs) ten years ago
      and had a dilemma how to name that, so I was more precise with the term: '360°
      spatial image' and 'object spatial image'. Both terms are translated directly
      from Slovene to English just to get the idea. In English I use Virtual Reality
      Panorama (VRP) and Object Virtual Reality (OVP). I used that terms in a dozen of
      international geography symposiums and nobody argued against that terms… and
      believe me that geographers can be very critical with the terms. However I am
      not a photographer and don't consider a VRPs as a photography but more part of
      GIS when georeferenced. The camera is only a tool to me as it is a GPS which is
      a must have when shooting a VRP.
      The Slovenian term »Prostorska slika« is used as a standard since the late
      90-ies and I have noticed that is used also in some neighbor countries… at least
      among geographers.
      I would suggest, as Don proposed, the one worldwide term but not necessarily in
      English.
      What is a French term for a Virtual Reality Panorama? …or as example German?
      Most of VR technology and the support are coming from Europe... what something
      like Esperanto...latin? What about the largest world languages - Indian or
      Chinese (now I am prvoking ;) )

      Boštjan
    • Bostjan Burger
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 5, 2011
        My opinion is that we need to be exact with the use of terms. We know many types
        of panoramas from the geographical point of view, as social, economic, cultural
        panoramas. My daughters study music so they are familiar with musical panoramas…
        I am working with the physical geography and GIS and panorama means for me a
        visual perception of a landscape or a region. It is true; term panorama became
        popular when geographers started with crocs which represented the surrounding
        landscapes, often with 360°. That sketches were named panorama. Panorama is
        truly worldwide expression and recognizable in most of the modern languages.
        From that point of view I have no problem with using that term even in small
        rooms (even not logical in some cases of use…). So… panorama (not a vista as
        insitu view) is a flat 2D picture, photography of the landscape (urban or rural)
        or »other« scapes. Interactive panorama is something what we can move or is with
        hotspots. That what we do is the presentation of that flat 2D: paint, image,
        sketch, photography which represents panorama, on the screen. That presentation
        is with the projection algorithm which makes a mental illusion of the
        surrounding image like to be there. If someone say 360° panorama I can't be
        sure: is that a print or screen projection? Same is with interactive panorama –
        is it only interactive picture or is the illusion of the surrounding? With term
        Spherical panorama is same…is it a print, projection? What about cylinders?
        (Most of my panoramas from mountain tops are cylinders).

        But all is with the agreement and the consensuns with the use of terms. Let’s
        use something what is already recognizable but be exact: flat is flat and
        projection is a projection… Last decade I used term 360° panorama for a flat
        image like prints and Virtual Reality panorama for a projection of that same
        image on the screen.

        Bostjan