Re: Pixeet

  • robert
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2011
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Uri" <uri@...> wrote:

      > I was directed to an interesting and inexpensive ($50) fisheye lens for the iPhone:
      >
      > http://www.pixeet.com/
      >
      > A virual tour, using this lens/camera by an Israeli real estate agent is at: http://tinyurl.com/6h5puot
      >
      > The quality can't compete with a dslr plus a $300-$800 lens but what will be possible in a few years is anybody's guess. Has anybody here used or played with this thing?

      Haaaaa, they have a full screen button, very funny. And it appears that they have purchased a non branded version of KrPano.

      So, they buy a $50 lens, don't use a tripod and then shell out the money for a unbranded version of KrPano? Makes no sense at all.

      And the quality is horrible, much worse than even a old nikon coolpix and FE-8.

      Wonder how long it will be before someone makes a iPhone pano head?
    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2011
        On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 10:17:39 +0900, Uri <uri@...> wrote:

        > I was directed to an interesting and inexpensive ($50) fisheye lens for
        > the iPhone:
        >
        > http://www.pixeet.com/
        >
        > A virual tour, using this lens/camera by an Israeli real estate agent is
        > at: http://tinyurl.com/6h5puot
        >
        > The quality can't compete with a dslr plus a $300-$800 lens but what
        > will be possible in a few years is anybody's guess. Has anybody here
        > used or played with this thing?

        Thanks, Uri. Those magnetic clip-on fisheye lenses have been available
        for some time here in Japan. There are a number of different labels but
        they look identical and may well be under the label.

        I guess that the Israeli real estate agent was using a 3G or 3GS, as I
        would expect the iPhone 4 to provide a noticeably higher quality image.

        3G quality is just too dreadful for me to want to play with one of these
        lenses, but I intend to upgrade when the penalty for breaking my two-
        year contract early no longer applies. The idea of selling the lens
        with software for panorama creation is clever, and I noted that the
        beautiful young woman demonstrating the technique seemed to be careful
        to position her iPhone over the same spot on the floor. So someone
        knows what they are doing...

        Roger W.

        --
        Work: www.adex-japan.com
        Pano: photosynth/rogerama
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2011
          Unfortunately the quality is just what the real-estate market is happy with.
          It's better than what some of my ex-clients use from one-shot mirror lenses.
          And it's fine for blogs, etc.

          We have to remember that many potential clients don't care about quality -
          and this will make them happy. Sad, but true..

          Rick Drew

        • onezebra1
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 4, 2011
            I got my Pixeet lens today and gave it a quick handheld test.
            I've been wanting to make some close-up panos next to ant hills and other small things. This was shot with a iPhone G4 and I used PTGui to stitch it, now to make up a pano head.
            http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/grass.html

            Roger Berry
          • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 4, 2011
              It's amazing!

              How did you shrunk yourself? ;-P

              --
              L.D.I. Felipe B. Gonz�lez C.
              felipe@...

            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 4, 2011
                That looks better than almost all of the samples on their website!

                Are you using Almost DSLR? It's full manual controls and more.

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 4, 2011
                  Actually the lens on my iPhone 4 was filthy, I didn't check it before putting on the fisheye lens.
                  I used the camera app that came with the iPhone and it was in auto.
                  I need to check into getting a better camera app, I'll check out that Almost DSLR app.

                  This app that comes with the Pixeet has some nice features, but I have not yet found a way to save the photos to the phone.

                  Roger Berry

                  > That looks better than almost all of the samples on their website!
                  >
                  > Are you using Almost DSLR? It's full manual controls and more.

                • afrenyo
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 5, 2011
                    here's one i shot quite some time ago wit the original iphone 2g/2MP native lens:

                    http://howdido.com/iPhone/iPhone_mtvernonSM.mov

                    it took 60 images, i think to yield a 11000px wide pano in the end. pretty crappy camera, but had a lot of fun doing it - now i can't remember why ;^)

                    -andras
                    http://www.panoramablog.com