Re: Future of VR Panoramas - WAS: Apple dropped QTVR

  • Paul Fretheim
    Message 1 of 56 , Jan 31, 2011
      As I mentioned, I make a living selling interpretive DVDs that feature
      VR imaging.

      I have noticed that the general level of awareness of the technology and
      acceptance of it as a standard media type has reached a new level in the
      past year or so.

      I recently visited the Grand Canyon to repair one of my kiosks. I met
      two new managers of the stores there, and I didn't have to explain
      anything to them. They both praised my product and there was none of the
      hidden fear that I was probably an alien that has often in the past been
      present in the meetings with new store managers. One of the managers
      even told me that when a visitor asks about a location within the Canyon
      she often goes to my product display with the visitor and uses my VR
      imaging to show the tourist "exactly what the place they are looking
      for" is like.

      So although it may have taken about 15 years longer than expected in
      1994 or whenever Apple introduced the technology for it to be understood
      and and thought of as standard media, I do think that that sort of
      quantum leap in the understanding of the uninitiated of our work is
      happening. And not a moment too soon, I must admit from my business's
      bottom line point of view.

      I notice this change in meeting with the retail managers and executive
      directors of National Park Associations too when I am bringing out a
      product like the new series of DVDs on the Sierra Nevada I premiered
      last season. I just have to show them the quality of my work now,
      usually, in the context of presenting a new product. I don't have to
      introduce them to the idea of 360 immersive imaging anymore.

      Paul Fretheim
    • Bostjan Burger
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 5, 2011
        My opinion is that we need to be exact with the use of terms. We know many types
        of panoramas from the geographical point of view, as social, economic, cultural
        panoramas. My daughters study music so they are familiar with musical panoramas…
        I am working with the physical geography and GIS and panorama means for me a
        visual perception of a landscape or a region. It is true; term panorama became
        popular when geographers started with crocs which represented the surrounding
        landscapes, often with 360°. That sketches were named panorama. Panorama is
        truly worldwide expression and recognizable in most of the modern languages.
        From that point of view I have no problem with using that term even in small
        rooms (even not logical in some cases of use…). So… panorama (not a vista as
        insitu view) is a flat 2D picture, photography of the landscape (urban or rural)
        or »other« scapes. Interactive panorama is something what we can move or is with
        hotspots. That what we do is the presentation of that flat 2D: paint, image,
        sketch, photography which represents panorama, on the screen. That presentation
        is with the projection algorithm which makes a mental illusion of the
        surrounding image like to be there. If someone say 360° panorama I can't be
        sure: is that a print or screen projection? Same is with interactive panorama –
        is it only interactive picture or is the illusion of the surrounding? With term
        Spherical panorama is same…is it a print, projection? What about cylinders?
        (Most of my panoramas from mountain tops are cylinders).

        But all is with the agreement and the consensuns with the use of terms. Let’s
        use something what is already recognizable but be exact: flat is flat and
        projection is a projection… Last decade I used term 360° panorama for a flat
        image like prints and Virtual Reality panorama for a projection of that same
        image on the screen.

        Bostjan